RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #1

Fresh Water Fill

Is the control for using city water or filling the tank just a two way valve? If I turn it to the left I can hear water apparently going toward the tank. If I turn it to the right, we get city water at the faucets. Part of my panel has been painted over so I don't know if there is something going on in the top position. On our maiden voyage we experienced water filling up the tank even when we were switched to city water. The tank would overflow near the front door after a couple of days. We would then shut off the city faucet supply and use from the tank for a couple of days, or as long as we could stand the lower pressure of the pump. We alternated for the month and now is the time to correct whatever is going on. The owners manual says to be sure to open the gravity fill tube when filling from the city supply to keep the pressure from bursting the tank. I'm guessing there is a valve leaking internally when in the city water position. Any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
On my Tiffin there is a water fill connection with a valve. In one position it fills the tank, the other and you get water at the tap. When in "tap" position, it does not fill the tank. It's one or the other, not both. I bet your should be the same.

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:07 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
It sounds like a leaking valve. You are lucky the overflow vent worked, the tank could burst or expand and cause structural damage! I'd replace the valve. You might remove and clean faucet aerator screens and any filters in the system to improve water pressure while on the pump.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
Is the control for using city water or filling the tank just a two way valve? If I turn it to the left I can hear water apparently going toward the tank. If I turn it to the right, we get city water at the faucets. Part of my panel has been painted over so I don't know if there is something going on in the top position. On our maiden voyage we experienced water filling up the tank even when we were switched to city water. The tank would overflow near the front door after a couple of days. We would then shut off the city faucet supply and use from the tank for a couple of days, or as long as we could stand the lower pressure of the pump. We alternated for the month and now is the time to correct whatever is going on. The owners manual says to be sure to open the gravity fill tube when filling from the city supply to keep the pressure from bursting the tank. I'm guessing there is a valve leaking internally when in the city water position. Any thoughts?
Water should not be filling your fresh water tank if you have the valve in the city water position. BFlinn181 is right....you need your valve replaced.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Make sure you are turning the valve all the way to it's "stop" position to avoid having an issue with water bypassing the valve while in the city water position. If you are sure you have turned it to it's "stop" on the city water side, and you are still filling your fresh water tank, you need a new valve.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had the same problem last year. Edded up being a bad check valve in my water pump. When I was connected to city water, the pressure would slowly leak back through the pump into my fresh water tank untill it overflowed out the gravity fill. I replaced the pump, no more problems.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
I had the same problem last year. Edded up being a bad check valve in my water pump. When I was connected to city water, the pressure would slowly leak back through the pump into my fresh water tank untill it overflowed out the gravity fill. I replaced the pump, no more problems.
Why not just put a brass check valve in between the pump and tank? That's $10 instead of the much more expensive pump.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When the check valve in my water pump when bad, the water pump would cycle on/off when water was not being used. I was not connected to city water at the time. I replaced the water pump which fixed the problem and I installed a valve to turn off water from the fresh water tank to keep the tank from filling in case the check valve failed while connected to city water.

Also I had a bypass valve go bad. I believe this was caused from me filling the water tank via the city water inlet without using a water filter. The valve was the cpvc kind and sand in the unfiltered water ruined the valve when I closed it. Now I always use a water filter when when filling the tank.

Tags
fresh water, water