Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Full wall slide extends while traveling

What an experience...coming over highway 2 from Leavenworth and just reach the top when we heard a horrible grinding noise and some shaking. At first I thought it was a flat, but when I looked in the mirror I saw the full wall slide trying to extend! I was so lucky to be right next to the brake check place so had plenty of room to pull over. The only reason the slide didn't come out more was due to those "slide locks" holding the top in. I can't imagine why the slide would just start moving, the key is loose for turning it on or off, but it still shouldn't move. I got the slide to come back in all the way, but the slide locks do not work and when I got it home I tried the slide but it only goes out 2 inches then stops. I notice the teeth on the one rail stripped a little, looks like another trip to the dealer!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Sorry for your troubles. Don't know what system you have , but if its Power Gear , I found this full wall slideout trouble shooting tech doc.

http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/3010002189.pdf

Hope this helps.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow! Sooo sorry to hear this story. Very scary! We also have the full wide slide providence 2012 and I am sure it is power gear. Please keep us posted as to your outcome, what the causes were and solutions as this is very important to all with similar slides. In my research sounds as like the locking brakes on one or motors failed? Hard to imagine all failing at once!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Since Clay confirmed it is PG. here is some info on the slideout motor brake.

http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/82-S0506.pdf

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #5

From what you posted it sounds like a slide rail was not adjusted correctly and slipped on the motor teeth. The repair facility will need a teach pendant once it is repaired to adjust it.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow lmcgill.....very scary. So glad the locks worked. I have to ask you, did your slide locks go all the way to the wall when you had the wall brought in (before this incident)? This is my favorite nightmare after trying to get fleetwood to replace our slide locks as they have never touched the walls in our RV (long story, long fight, story on this forum somewhere). I know your issue was a motor failure, or multiple failure and not failure of the locks, just curious. I'm still VERY glad to hear that the locks held the room in for you. (I'm told that ours will "probably" hold the wall in if the motors fail, but it could still fall out that inch or so until the locks make contact).
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tha-rooster is so correct on the teach pendant. It reprograms the slide motors. This will at least make sure you have enough info when the warranty repair is in progress, the teach pendant I am speaking of. Cliff has a link to the info on full wall slide installation. Richard can you use a spacer block of dense poly like material against the side locks as they are closing. Double carpet would hold into place as the slides locks? Dollar store cutting board or such?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Tha-rooster is so correct on the teach pendant. It reprograms the slide motors. This will at least make sure you have enough info when the warranty repair is in progress, the teach pendant I am speaking of. Cliff has a link to the info on full wall slide installation. Richard can you use a spacer block of dense poly like material against the side locks as they are closing. Double carpet would hold into place as the slides locks? Dollar store cutting board or such?
Thanks for the suggestion for the spacer blocks....we are considering that option. The dealer supplied some of the same material. It would probably do the trick.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixn2gocamp View Post
Wow lmcgill.....very scary. So glad the locks worked. I have to ask you, did your slide locks go all the way to the wall when you had the wall brought in (before this incident)? This is my favorite nightmare after trying to get fleetwood to replace our slide locks as they have never touched the walls in our RV (long story, long fight, story on this forum somewhere). I know your issue was a motor failure, or multiple failure and not failure of the locks, just curious. I'm still VERY glad to hear that the locks held the room in for you. (I'm told that ours will "probably" hold the wall in if the motors fail, but it could still fall out that inch or so until the locks make contact).
Yes they were tight, two lights turn green on the key lock panel once the system is in place. The top of the slide was tight, just the bottom was out. What a horrible noise it made, mostly the sound of gears grinding and then some wind noise. I have an appointment Monday to take it in, I am confident the dealer will figure it out. I will post later on what they say happened.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looks like she is ready to be picked up. Apparently a short in the system sent a message to extend the slide?? Good thing the locks held, that could have been a real mess! I was told it was a major job to repair, good thing it is still on warranty.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So glad that all turned out ok, and even better, that warranty covered it.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #12

It seems strange to me that it could do anything with the power key off.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster
It seems strange to me that it could do anything with the power key off.
That may have been part of the problem. The key was all messed up, we never knew if it was off or on, the lock washer was loose. I didn't think it was a big deal but now that I think about, I should have tightened it up.

Tags
slide