Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2014, 04:25 AM   #43

I had to replace the gear on mine...broke 2 teeth off on the vaccuum.
There is a manual retraction procedure/mechanism, but you need the special socket to do it.
Essentially, you shift the "Brake/Engage" lever on the motor to a disengaged position which allows it to move independently of the other motors. You put the socket on the end of the motor/gear shaft, and it allows you to manually retract the room.
I had a friend weld up a socket, and when I get the time, I'm going to reset everything manually. Will measure the distance from the wall of the coach to the outer edge of the slide on the front edge and the rear edge, and use the socket to get both distances equal, then re-engage the motors. Right now I have about a 3/4" gap on the back when the slide is fully IN.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #44
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
I had to replace the gear on mine...broke 2 teeth off on the vaccuum.
There is a manual retraction procedure/mechanism, but you need the special socket to do it.
Essentially, you shift the "Brake/Engage" lever on the motor to a disengaged position which allows it to move independently of the other motors. You put the socket on the end of the motor/gear shaft, and it allows you to manually retract the room.
I had a friend weld up a socket, and when I get the time, I'm going to reset everything manually. Will measure the distance from the wall of the coach to the outer edge of the slide on the front edge and the rear edge, and use the socket to get both distances equal, then re-engage the motors. Right now I have about a 3/4" gap on the back when the slide is fully IN.

Jim
I should would be interested how much trouble you have manually resetting the slide stops. I presume you are talking about pushing the buttons on the slide control then slowly bring each motor in until you are all the way in, then doing the same for extension. I am going to have to do this to mine with the three slide motors and would appreciate any tips you have.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #45

Actually, not going to use the button at all. I only have one button that controls the slide, which I think is pretty standard.
I'm going to disengage all three motors using the lever on the back of the motor.
Then I'll use the special socket I have and bring the back end of the slide in to where it's the same distance away from the wall of the coach as the front edge, then re-engage the motors.
The motor/control system has no idea where the slide is. It moves the slide in using all 3 motors until one of the motors draws a high enough amount of current to tell the control circuit that it's hit the end of it's travel, then it switches modes and extends the little lock-in arms at the top of the corners of the slide.

We'll see

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I should would be interested how much trouble you have manually resetting the slide stops. I presume you are talking about pushing the buttons on the slide control then slowly bring each motor in until you are all the way in, then doing the same for extension. I am going to have to do this to mine with the three slide motors and would appreciate any tips you have.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 AM   #46
Cat

Wow, I though all the Fleetwood with the full wall slide had the same control, at least for those years. My control is under the bed has the wires going to it from the motor sensors to on the motor gear boxes all three have sensors mounted to the little gear box. For my full wall slide Powergear website says you have to teach the motors full in and full out and the sensors keep them synced so the slide stays straight. And when the slides come all the way in the slide locks engage. Is yours like this?slide info.pdf
Old 06-01-2014, 05:36 AM   #47

The two important data points are 1) Where the system THINKS the slide is, and 2) Where the slide REALLY is.

In my case, the system THINKS the slide is full IN, but in fact, my rear track/motor is still 3/4" out, due to the breaking of two or three teeth on the gear.

So with the motor disconnected via the clutch/brake on each motor, I plan on returning the REAL position to where the system thinks it is.

Will know in another week or so when I finally get to work on it.

Thanks for the link, will read up on that to see if anything in there changes my reasoning

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Wow, I though all the Fleetwood with the full wall slide had the same control, at least for those years. My control is under the bed has the wires going to it from the motor sensors to on the motor gear boxes all three have sensors mounted to the little gear box. For my full wall slide Powergear website says you have to teach the motors full in and full out and the sensors keep them synced so the slide stays straight. And when the slides come all the way in the slide locks engage. Is yours like this?Attachment 64274
Old 06-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #48
Cat

Lobstah, good luck. I did find a document that talks about how to reset the control not using the teach pendent and I will attach it. Just in case you need it.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #49

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Check out these pics of the 2014 vs 2015 Thor Mirimar 34.3 which has a full wall slide. You can see an extra Schwintek worm gear rail. Wondering if this change is to add reliability? I haven't seen a full wall slide with three rails until this pic. All the 2015 Mirimars with full wall slide have this third rail now.

aarong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My 2010 Discovery also has 3 rails, and yes, I am sure it is for reliability.

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Old 07-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarong View Post
Check out these pics of the 2014 vs 2015 Thor Mirimar 34.3 which has a full wall slide. You can see an extra Schwintek worm gear rail. Wondering if this change is to add reliability? I haven't seen a full wall slide with three rails until this pic. All the 2015 Mirimars with full wall slide have this third rail now.
Thor added the third rail after so many full wall slide failures, which doesn't help owners prior to 2015 models. Check the Thor section for horror stories. The Schwintek slides have been very problematic.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:09 PM   #52

Outdoors RV Owners Club
GARY1965, Does your Discovery 40G use Schwintek slides with three rails? Has it been working well with the full wall slide?
aarong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:25 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No, my Discovery slides are not from Schwintek. It is a Power Gear unit. Fleetwood, was early in the Full Wall Slide design and had worked out most of its problems around 2006. I have not had problems with mine, and would recommend FWS(at least by Fleetwood).

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Old 07-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #54

Our 2005 Pace 36D has a FWS...and we love it.
Only problems were self induced :(...and not fond of PowerGear products due to their "No Consumer Communication" policy...they only deal with dealers, and so must you.

Jim
Old 11-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #55

(2010 Bounder 33u on Workhorse gas chassis. Approx 23,000 miles)
For a year or so I've had an occasional problem retracting the FSW. It only seems to occur after the slide has been extended for long campground stays. So when pulling up stakes after a long stay, I start the engine and hit the slide retract switch. The slide begins to move in but stops after a few inches even with the switch still engaged. I then hit the extend switch and the slide moves back out to full extension and stops normally. Then I hit the retract switch again and the slide again moves in a few inches and stops. Then I hit the extend again to full extension. Sometimes I have to repeat rocking in and out process 4-5 times before the slide will fully retract. The problem only occurs after long stays with the FWS extended. On short stays such as overnights or even week-long stays, it isn't a problem and the slide retracts normally. I haven't checked the battery voltage but will next time. The house batteries are about 6 months old. Underneath it looks like I have a 3-motor PowerGear system. Any suggestions?
berfle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #56
HRF

Winnebago Owners Club
FWS not extending

I read through the comments in this thread and most seem to deal with the FWS not retracting. I have a 2007 Fleetwood Excursion 39V and we had an extend problem. The slide retracted normally at the start of the day but at the next camp site, it would not move. Could see nothing wrong so we moved on the next day to another site and tried again. This time the locks retracted but the slide never moved. Then the locks would not go back to the locked position. I did discover that the door on which the rear TV is mounted had come open while driving but even after closing the door, the slide would not move. Took the coach to Camping World and they said they had to reprogram the slide controller using a special type of Fleetwood equipment. They thought that the problem with the controller was probably caused by some type of a power surge or other electrical problem. The slide now works okay. Has anyone else had to reprogram their controller?
HRF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide