Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
FWS or Jacks deployed first?

There seems to be some debate on whether it is best to deploy the leveling jacks before the Full Wall Slide, or after. I have a Fleetwood Discovery 40G. I was told by my selling dealership to level first, then extend the full wall slide (and the regular slide too).

However a friend if mine just came home with a shiny new Newmar, a very top quality product, which he took delivery from the factory. They trained him to deploy the FWS BEFORE leveling. The theory goes that the chassis (they use Freightliner too for his model) flexes less when sitting on the wheels than it does when on the jacks. And if true, Newmar would rather extend the FWS while the jacks are NOT down. So he was trained to put out his slides, then put down the jacks, and reverse that when preparing to leave a camp site.

Does anyone have knowledge from Fleetwood on this debate?

Rob
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #2

Fleetwood says level first then open that's what I do and always will with a FWS. I might would do that on a smaller slide but not one that's 29 ft long.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO I would never extend a slide unless the unit was level 1st. If you're setting nose low the slide will want to slide forward at the same time it goes out, I can't see how this will not cause a binding issue on the seals and the gears themselves. If your not level side to side and put out the slide on one side it'll be like pushing the slide up hill and cause extra strain on the drive gears. I'm willing to bet that those mfrs. that say slide first are figuring that you'll be parking on a level campsite.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
With Fleetwood, it's jacks down THEN slides out. Your friend with the Newmar may be trying to help, but procedures are different with different manufacturers. His procedure is not the same as Fleetwood's.

If you're ever in doubt about what you're told, a call to Fleetwood will give you the ultimate & correct answer for your make/model.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #5

Personally, I'd say, go with Fleetwood's recommendation although I'm unconvinced that any company is making their decision on more than old wives' tales.

From a mechanical engineering standpoint, as long as the coach is reasonably level to start, I can see it being far worse to apply twisting from the jacks.

I'd love to hear if anyone knows the process used (darts thrown at a dartboard of solutions?) to determine the right procedure for each coach

Steve
Old 10-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a Fleetwood with a full wall slide and if I am not level or just a few degrees out, my slide simply will not operate. My owners manual says level first. If i am parked on level ground the slide works fine. More than a few degrees out, forget it.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Any motorhome is build on a leveled surface, including installation and slide adjustment. Moving out the slide before leveling could cause binding of the slide and component failure, especially in Campgrounds that are not always leveled. Sales people that tell you to move the slide before leveling should be retrained by their Engineering Department.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good post. I've also been reading on the Newmar owners forum regarding FWS deployment. Their techs at PDI are instructing new owners to extend the FWS first then level. I would assume one, that the coach would have to be on a fairly level surface, two, if not appears there is a strong possibility of friction and binding thus problematic. Seems the reasoning is Newmar slides are flush when retracted and if there is any racking or distortion of the chassis due to leveling first this has caused damage. In January our FWS will be three years of age and no issues, knock on wood, leveling first then extending. So, air down, level, slides out. I'm sticking to this procedure unless told otherwise by a FW engineer! I'm sure Newmar has throughly researched this practice for preventative measures. Thanks for the post.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How can it be anything but level first, then slides out?
When driving, I am sure you are twisting the heck out of the chassis.
Then pulling into a site and bringing everything back to level (which is how it was at the factory when built) can't hurt anything.
Finally, how can extending slides when level be a problem.
The last thing I would want to do is twist the chassis with the slides out.

Dan
Old 10-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #10

Leveling before slideouts

I am a new person at driving a motorhome and have a 38 ft. Fleetwood Expedition with a FWS. What I learned is what others are saying. Air suspension off, jacks down, then put slideouts out. So glad I've been doing it right.
dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our owners manual says level first,then slides.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks