Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #1

Gas struts for compartment doors

Does anyone have a source for the compartment doors gas struts? These are the lift type compartment doors. Have a couple that won't extend readily without applying some muscle. I beleive I have various lengths so will have to measure before ordering. Also are these difficult to change out?
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I know CW has them. There is a # on the current ones that they can match for you. I got mine at Lazy Days in Fl. They're very easy to do but not to explain. Whoever you buy them from can show you.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check on E-Bay I have made some good buys there on struts.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #4

If they are the same kind of struts that are used to hold a hood up in a car then you can readily find them at an auto parts store such as O'riellys or Autozone. I think they call them hood rods though. Just take one with you to compare lengths. I just priced them on the Internet for my truck and the price was $21.99 each at O'reillys and $24.99 each at autozone.
LaredoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #5

Try StrutYourStuff.com. They have a huge selection, but you do need your size and length measurements.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Try StrutYourStuff.com. They have a huge selection, but you do need your size and length measurements.

and weight capability
Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #7

The critical measurement is the length fully extended and somewhere on the strut body should be a part number that can be referenced to give you the nominal operating force of the strut.

To swap them, need to prop the door in the fully opened position and then free each end. If the end of the strut is the type that clips onto a ball shaped anchor, there is usually a spring clip that can be prise up a little and the ball joint just pulls apart. Otherwise just unscrew each end bracket.

Auto accessory shops usually have a rack full of them.

Failing all the above, there are places that can regas them to whatever pressure you want. If there are no markings on the struts, just send them one that is working ok and they will match the specs
Old 03-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Struts

Local Auto Zone carries them in stock. Get the part number off your old ones for match!

Tags
gas