Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
General Electrical Questions

M y Bounder has two battery switches, one says 'Main', and the other says 'Aux'.

I had both switches in the 'on' position and ran the inverter for several hours. (OK, OK, I forgot it was on..........) and my main was showing 3/4 charge, but aux was still 4/4.

When I tried to start all I got was blinking lights when I turned on the key.

I tried using the Aux start toggle switch, thinking this would route the aux batteries to the engine. Still nothing. I ran the generator for an hour and it made no difference with regard to starting. I was lucky this time. We were traveling with friends and was able to find two group 31 batteries at Autozone. They were 5 years old and past due. New batteries solved the problem.

After that I experimented a bit, with the main battery disconnected (via the switch) some things don't work. Power seats (understandible), the RV level meters with the exception of the aux battery meter (weird).

I'm guessing that both 12v outlets run off the main.

It appears that the inverter will draw from the main battery 1'st and the aux batteries second. Is that how it works?

The generator does not charge the main batteries, only aux?

What does the 'Aux Start' switch do? Is it possible that my main was too dead for it to be of any use?

When I bought the Bounder I asked the dealer replace the batteries and they gave me a song and dance about how 'these' batteries should last 10 years. I knew it was BS!

Muddypaws
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #2

Let me start by saying I have an '05 Bounder 36Z with the same two "main and aux" switches. Frankly, I don't know why Fleetwood chose to use that naming convention, I always thought they should be labeled "chassis" and "house" but I never got a call from Fleetwood to ask for my input.

When you push either switch, it operates a contactor (a big relay) that cuts the battery in or out of the circuit. In my experience, they should be exercised occasionally, I've had weird problems like you mention and simply operating the switches several times cleared the problem. On my rig, the contactors are located above the propane tank inside a black box.

I don't have power seats or the RV level meter you mention so I can't address that.

I installed my inverter myself and connected them only to the house (aux) batteries, I can only assume that is the way all inverters are installed but I'm not an expert. Perhaps, someone else can speak to this.

As far as I know, the generator charges the house (aux) and chassis (main) batteries simultaneously, but again, I'm not the expert.

When you push the Aux Start switch, it cuts in the house (aux) batteries so you can start your rig if the chassis (main) battery is dead.

Hope this helps.

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #3

Muddypaws! can you supply your Model and year of the Bounder?
I have put together a file on allot of info. covering Bounders.

Dick.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Model:

Sorry, I thought I put all that stuff in my signature.

I have a 2006 Bounder 34H.

The level meter I spoke of is the meter that reads the levels in water tanks, batteries, and LPG.

Muddypaws
Old 09-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The generator does not charge batteries directly - it merely powers your house charging system (converter/charger), which in turn charges both house (aux) and chassis (main) batteries. The house gets first priority, though.

Is your inverter built-in or is it one you plugged into a 12v outlet? Makes a difference where it is powered from. And is it tv only or does it supply other house outlets?

The inverter runs from whatever battery it (or the 12v outlet) is wired to. Not both. However, if somebody cross-wired the two battery systems together somewhere, they are no longer isolated from each other. I've seen that happen more than once after somebody added some gadget or modified the wiring in some way.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your inverter took down all the batteries you had turned on.

(either that or the rig sat long enough for the chassis battery to self discharge, OR,, well there is one other posibility I'll cover)

Turn off the chassis (main) battery when you park.

Now the other possibility.. My rig is on a Workhorse though this can apply to anything.

When the rig was still under warranty the thing would not start till i hit AUX (House batteries were full) I crawled under when I got home (Cause that's where the chassis battery hides) and brought the load tester with me.

passed, flying green (color)

Tried again, this time disconnecting the battery: Passed, flying green.

Re-connected and all was good.

The problem: Dirty terminal.. I cleaned it automaticlly when I disconnected it (Always do) Have to do it every few years.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So Weird!

I'm used to the simple electrical systems on finds on trailers and fifth wheels. You know, on is ON and off is OFF!

I turned both the main & aux batteries off at the panel. The electrical door lock still works. And if I press the 'Invert' button on the panel the inverter comes on, but it does not indicate which battery is now on.

If I turn the ignition key on the main will automatically come on - seems reasonable.

So far the main batteries are holding a charge. My experience is that really good starting batteries will last 4 to 5 years. Mine were due I guess.

Question:
I have 4 6V T105 batteries that are now about 5 years old. Should I be thinking about replacing them soon?

Tags
electrical