Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #1

Generator

I realize opinions are like...well you know. We seldom use our MH in camping areas where we don't have shore power. Question is "should I be exercising the generator" and how often? Can't wait for your responses
aschuller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #2

Would suggest at least once a month or every two weeks....under load. Maintain your genny religiously....when you need it....YOU NEED IT!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #3

we run ours regularly while driving as we travel in primarily warm weather states and like to keep the coach cool. I have also heard it is good to run it and put a load on it.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #4

Run it once a month to flush the gas thru the carburator, so it doesn't foul the passages in it,

OR set it up where you can run the carburator dry and don't run it at all. If you need it, the fuel pump will prime it back up.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #5

what does the owners manual say? what is make / model of the generator?
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #6

Yes.... Exercise your genny often to keep it healthy...
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
We do not exercise ours. It will site 9-10 months between usage.

This spring I plan on adding a switch so I can disable the fuel pump. This will allow me to run fuel out of the carb bowl when I know the genny will be sitting for a long time without being run.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a diesel Onan in my motorhome. My manual states to run it under a load for 30 minutes every 30 days.
BruceNeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:35 AM   #9

Exercising the Gen is not just for the fuel system, it is also to drive the moisture out of the windings.

I try to do 30 minutes with a load once a month.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:11 AM   #10

All of the generator guides mention " running to drive the moisture out of the windings ", but the only complaint I've ever seen here is fouled carburators. Bad windings are extreamly rare.

The windings in a generator aren't any different then windings on electric motors, alternators, or transformers. Who exercises them ?

If you can get the gas out of the carb, you'll be fine.

We are hopefully on the edge of moving to fuel injection on RV generators. That would practally elemenate the gas fouling issues.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:28 AM   #11

As you see lots of different opinions on this.
My feeling is....
Doing what mfg recommends is usually a good start vs what someone online told you
There are a lot of different conditions that can affect the need to exercise or not... warm humid, winter very dry air, gas or diesel, ethanol or non ethanol gas, treated or untreated fuel, run dry and "winterized" as is done w outboard engines.
There are more problems w gen under use that over use
So... evaluating risk / reward.... what's to lose by running it periodically when conditions suggest it might be a good idea vs not running it?
How many have problems due to exercising?
How do you know it will work when you want it?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:50 AM   #12

Run once a month under load for 30 minutes. There are several reasons to do this. Running the engine lubricates oil seals and bearings as such, if you have a gas gen it gets that old gas out of it and brings the newer fresh fuel in. Also as far as the actual electrical side of it it keeps the the moisture out and just exercises the whole unit. If a generator sits for long periods of time it can lose its energy so to speak and possibly will need to be excited In order for it to work again. Usually that's on older units but have seen it happen. If you need to excite it you'll have to consult with either the manufacturer or a good tech to do so.
Just my 2 cents...
Mrbitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:03 AM   #13

Running also prevents tarnish from building up on the slip ring, the tarnish can cause increased resistance which can burn out the voltage regulator board.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:05 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The manual on every gen. that I have owned has said to exercise it if it's not used.

Tags
generator