Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Generator Auto Start

When the gen is in auto mode will it turn itself off when it has satisfied whatever was calling for Electricity?

Dan Callahan
North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins and Allison
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Mine does.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great question! I've been pouring over the manual for that exact same answer!! Cummins Onan never addresses that issue. So two further questions, please. Can you set the auto start to run let's say three hours continually? Or, as Cat320 states, does it sense when the AC at the pedestal is working again? I experienced power spikes due to electrical storms and outages from my temporary electrical box. Were on our new pad waiting for our new super small home to be built. Consequently, the generator kicks in. The other night it shut down after about ten minutes. I was under the assumption the auto stayed on till manually turned off? I really appreciate clarification on this operation.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:47 PM   #4

I have a 2012 American Revolution and when I set mine on auto it will start when the batteries go down to a preset voltage and shut off when the batteries are charged. Hope this helps
gvenlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is a preset length of time for it to run, programmable. They will kick on the generator at a specified voltage and shut off with time.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #6

It completely depends on the controller some start and stop on voltage some can be set to run timed runs some do other things as well like quiet times and can even be set to start on temp so if in a very cold climate it will run the genset to warm up as needed. One thing about starting on voltage is to make sure your batteries will actually start the gen at that voltage and the conditions. Years ago we had a customer leave his MH in a Airport parking lot in Jan in MN he left it set to auto run because they had a family emergency. Sadly they left the start voltage too low to start the gen in sub zero weather and the unit froze. I don't remember all the details but I think the coach manufacture warrantied all the repairs as a Good Will.

SO read all the info on your system as that is what you have and many will have similar but different setups.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our controller, can be set up for voltage and quiet times and of course auto start if power loss. One, I can set quiet times, haven't gotten into low voltage start up as we seldom boon dock if ever. What I'm concerned about for my two furry friends that live with us is, if a power outage occurs the generator starts, the AC continues and their safe. You can see where this is going, can I program the controller to run indefinitely the gen set? Does it shut off when the shore power is re instated? This is where I'm lost.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacearow View Post
When the gen is in auto mode will it turn itself off when it has satisfied whatever was calling for Electricity?

Dan Callahan
North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins and Allison
Without knowing which AGS you have it is hard to answer. In some cases the genny will continue to run untill the batteries are restored to full float even with shore power restored.
For instance if the battery bank is to low to handle the demand the genny will start, supply power and charge the batteries at the same time, shutting down when the battery bank is fully charged.
On other systems the genny will shut down as soon as shore power is restored.
Some will start and stop as required when using the AC.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Each AGS system operates somewhat differently, plus there are installation configuration options, so yours might differ from another persons, even though the model is the same.

Mine is a Xantrex AutoGenStart and it works differently than a previous one with the Xantrex RC7+GS. It shuts down in 2-4 hours even if all conditions have not yet been met. The minimum run time is 2 hours, even if the conditions are met sooner than that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #10

Good questions! My Onan will start automatically, not sure about shutdown though. I dont have my model number so I'll keep quiet till I get my make/model.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok, to follow up our AGS system is Cummins Onan installed in September 2011. The controller is -- Energy Command 30 -- . Here's some notes from instructions. Auto on set, will start based upon HVAC RUN REQUEST and low battery regardless of time of day. Quiet time, on, genset twill not start. Limiting short cycling, here's where I'm confused. Onan gensets have a min. Of ten min. The EC 30 observes the min run time even if the auto run request has been satisfied. If a new run request is detected during the min. Run, the adaptive cycle management feature will limit short cycling by extending the run time as required. The EC 30 also compares the amount of HVAC on time to the HVAC off time. Based on this ratio, or percentage, it will continue to run in order to avoid short cycling. The EC 30 will turn off the genset after 10 minutes with no run request. Question, it appears that I cannot program the EC30 to run continuously if there is a power outage and away from the coach? Any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:08 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Clayobx:
I dont understand why you would want it to run continuously. If the AGS is programmed correctly it will start and stop as needed when there is no exterior power being supplied and shut down the genny when power is restored. It is designed as an on-demand system to start/stop the genny only as needed.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Clayobx:
I dont understand why you would want it to run continuously. If the AGS is programmed correctly it will start and stop as needed when there is no exterior power being supplied and shut down the genny when power is restored. It is designed as an on-demand system to start/stop the genny only as needed.

I can see one possible reason.....

Safety. If climate control ( heat or AC) is necessary to ensure comfort of either pets, or people with out the ability to be easily mobile, having the generator run continuously minimizes the risk that it won't restart if it shuts down. Depending upon the generator to start -> run -> stop ->start ->run ->stop in and endless cycle is riskier than just having it start and run.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I can see one possible reason.....

Safety. If climate control ( heat or AC) is necessary to ensure comfort of either pets, or people with out the ability to be easily mobile, having the generator run continuously minimizes the risk that it won't restart if it shuts down. Depending upon the generator to start -> run -> stop ->start ->run ->stop in and endless cycle is riskier than just having it start and run.
I would say in your senario; if that fear exhists, just shut off the AGS, start the genny and let it run, but the risk is still there that the genny could shut down for whatever season. Then what?

Tags
generator