RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Generator size

I'm looking at an American Coach Revolution 42W. Just wondering about the 8 kw generator with three a/c units and an all electric coach. Is it big enough to run the coach if we are off the grid? It looks like it might be a toss up between this and an Entegra Aspire. Thanks!

FlaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
AC is a first class operation, if they put an 8 KW in there, it's probably okay. However, if you have doubts, call them, the techs are very sharp and very helpful.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaSam
I'm looking at an American Coach Revolution 42W. Just wondering about the 8 kw generator with three a/c units and an all electric coach. Is it big enough to run the coach if we are off the grid? It looks like it might be a toss up between this and an Entegra Aspire. Thanks!
I assume you have six 6V coach batteries and possibly two inverters. Your generator should be used primarily to charge your batteries.

Do you plan to do a lot of boon-docking?

If not the 8K is more than enough.

If you are planning to run 3 AC units, microwave, fridge, 3 tv's, charger, and all your lights and water heater (Aqua hot), pumps all at the same time for an extended period of time, you would
probably consider more, though an 8,000 watt generator should be more than enough. BTW the Revolution 42W is quite a beautiful Coach. I would be more concerned about the engine using DEP.

If it is, you might want to see if you can get a grandfathered engine.

I absolutely love my 2005 Revolution, but the floor plan in the new ones is outstanding.

Best wishes, I am sure you will love either one. I myself would go with the Revolution.

Regards,

Gwarshawsky
gwarshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our 6.5kw is BARELY good enough to handle 2 air conditioners plus electrics, and ours is not an all electric coach. 8kw might be enough for 3 air conditioners.

If it's a concern, I wouldn't consider buying until you've had opportunity to test it and put it through its paces. Make sure it really can do the job before you sign the dotted line.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You actually would have two "legs' of 4000 watts each. ONeof those legs has to support two a/c's, while the other has only one. But your electric cooktop, microwave, fridge, water heater (unless it has Aqua Hot), etc. all have to be somewhere too, plus anything you plug in, e.g. coffee pot, hair dryer or whatever. So yes, you could easily run out of power if you try to do everything at once, or the wrong combination of things.

The American Tradtion and American Eagle models come with a 10k generator for just that reason, but the Revolution is a less expensive coach and therefore has a bit less of things. You might be able to get AC to upgrade the 8k to a 10k (for a price, of course), but you may find other things that are less than what they could be as well. If you don't want to come up short anywhere, consider getting a Tradition or Eagle instead of the Revolution.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator