Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #1

Generator Slide No More????

Hello All,

Long time no see, I have been (sporadically) busy to get the Eagle ready for this month season opener and doing the last 20 items or so! Of coarse in the process you end up finding 20 more items But we all know that feeling

I was cleaning the front and wanted to open the Gen slide but upon pushing the button No action of any kind, No noise of any kind! so I started to fiddle withe Switch since we've had some issues with that before and to make the story a little shorter after taking it apart and sanding the contacts and then again the centre ridge (preventing the contacts from going down far enough) I managed to get the slide to make noise and go in and out .... but way tooooo erratic and fast since the switch is now kind of loose and goes almost both ways at the same time, and then it stopped all together again.......... bang !!! I think I may have Blown a fuse or something like that ????

Problem is I can not find a fuse marked for it anywhere on the MoHo or in the Manual and I am running out of Ideas ???

HELP PLEASE

P.S. I had already a new Switch ordered but it has 4 contacts where as the original has 6 is there a way to make the change ?

Regards,

Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Do you measure current at any of the wires going to the switch? Try using jumper wires directly to the slide motor to see if the motor is bad.

Not sure how your old switch was set up. 6 terminals could be (+) and (-) supply, then two wires for IN, two wires for OUT. The wiring of the switch would determine current flow. With a 4 terminal switch, it might only toggle a solenoid that determines motor direction. You should look up the manufacturer and see if a manual or wiring diagram is available. Your new switch might not work.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:11 PM   #3

Hi Bob, Thanks for the quick response!
Yes there is current on some of the wires so I guess its not a fuse, I can't make head's or tail out of what the switching pattern is (I'm no expert in this) there are six wire's starting on the left, Front of the MoHo and Out on the switch meaning white low and one green high then centre one black and one red on the side of the green then two more one white and one green on the Inn side But opposite of the other side white high and green low !!!
The Switch has two solid rocker-bars on either side so you would think if you short the lower In two wires and the higher In two wires you would get the slide to move IN ? But no such luck, that does not do it......... ???????

Playing with the Switch, I still get it to jiggle and jump a bit every once and a while so it's not dead BUT....... AAARRRRGGggggg.......

My unit is electric over Hydraulic, but I can't see more then the switch some bundles of wires and the Hydraulic unit, Not sure where the rest is hiding ?
I figure it has to be the Switch though since that has been the problem all along

The New switch has six poles but 4 pins and you can see the 5 and 6 pin cross connecting with the 1 and 2 poles on the back ? but I don't know if I can use it ?
This is what Fleetwood send us last year but I never followed up on it yet.

I still kept trying to fix the old switch and in the process I almost got the slide back in but I guess I need a bit more

In the mean while I was filling the water system and checking for leaks......... found I had a giant crack in my hot water heater..... Yes I did drain the tank I just put the plug back in !!!
Someday's if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all !!!!

Regards,

Ed
Old 07-03-2016, 11:21 PM   #4

[QUOTE=RVingDutchman;3144447]Hi Bob, Thanks for the quick response!
Yes there is current on some of the wires so I guess its not a fuse, I can't make head's or tail out of what the switching pattern is (I'm no expert in this) there are six wire's starting on the left, Front of the MoHo and Out on the switch meaning white low and one green high then centre one black and one red on the side of the green then two more one white and one green on the Inn side But opposite of the other side white high and green low !!!
The Switch has two solid rocker-bars on either side so you would think if you short the lower In two wires and the higher In two wires you would get the slide to move IN ? But no such luck, that does not do it......... ???????

When I measure Current I get nothing between the outside poles and centre poles! I do get current between the outside poles

Ed
Old 07-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
This is the wiring for a typical 12 v reversing circuit using a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
This is the wiring for a typical 12 v reversing circuit using a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch.
Thanks a TON Bob that makes it a lot more clear and now I got something to work to!
Is there a way to work those 6 wires down to 4 i.e. could they be eliminated with the new switch design (one green and one white) I think those where the power wires, I have to confirm but I think there where 2Neg and 2Pos and 2 motor? I'll go and check now....

Regards,

Ed
Old 07-04-2016, 10:13 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nope, unless you only want to run the generator slide in one direction.

Get the correct 6 pole momentary switch and wire exactly as the drawing states.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:36 PM   #8

The Situation is Bizarre to say the least, the six wires are marked Black =Grnd, Red =Pos, White =neg, Green =pos, Like I said there's two white's and two green's!

The wires are hot intermittently ? I know I don't get it either But once I manage to get to move the slide a fraction in or out things Die for a while (sometimes as long as an hour) and then I get power again and I can do the same thing again?

I'm worried I may have to high a current going here and that something is over heating but what????? the motor does not get hot, it does not get to run long enough!!!!
And there's not much more to it I think?

I tried putting just four wires to the new style Switch, Black and Red to the middle and White and Green to the outside (tried either way) but no such luck.

Oh BTW. the local machineshop is going to weld the crack in the Aluminium tank for the Hotwater heater for me saving us big bucks in the process

I guess I got some luck.....

Ed
Old 07-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
You did make a wiring diagram and take a photo of the wires and where each one was attached to the old switch BEFORE removing them, right?

If not then you are SOOL. Your only recourse then is to trace where the wires come from and go to then wire exactly like the diagram that was posted earlier.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Nope, unless you only want to run the generator slide in one direction.

Get the correct 6 pole momentary switch and wire exactly as the drawing states.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Da's weird your post did not show up until well after I posted the one at 2;36 or I did not refresh

Thanks for weighing in Richard, so you're saying no way but to find the right Switch and do it the original way !!!

I guess I better start looking, I ordered one from AC and they send me this 4 pole one but I guess I could phone them and try to explain the situation and see if they have the other one?
I did not have much luck finding it elsewhere here in Canada.

BTW. Yes I made a sketch of the original wiring setup as required !

But there is still something wrong because if I wire the new switch with 4 wires should it then at least work in one direction? it's not.......

Thanks Richard.

Regards,

Ed
Old 07-05-2016, 04:58 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You need a ON-OFF-ON Momentary Switch to install and wire it exactly like the posted diagram.

When you push the switch up, the generator slide should open. When you push the switch down the generator slide should close.

I can't help you with the four pole switch unless you post a photo of it with full specifications as to what brand, type, model and complete description. Otherwise I would be shooting from the hip.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 07-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
You need a ON-OFF-ON Momentary Switch to install and wire it exactly like the posted diagram.

When you push the switch up, the generator slide should open. When you push the switch down the generator slide should close.

I can't help you with the four pole switch unless you post a photo of it with full specifications as to what brand, type, model and complete description. Otherwise I would be shooting from the hip.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Hello Richard,
Sorry for the slow response, its a madhouse here right now, but I did manage to get the HW heater back in the hole only to find out that now the element leaks around the seal
As far as the new Switch goes it is exactly like Bob described it and drew it above!
I plan to go find a new switch but need some time, I managed to get the slide to move back in completely so at least we can go, but it would have been nice to get it done.
I will post here what happens because I think there is something else happening but not sure what????

Regards,

Ed
Old 07-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Hello Ed --

Let me know if you need me to look at anything on mine that will help on the wiring. I should have it all identical to yours.
Perhaps take pictures of switches or wiring as needed.

I know it is a long way off -- but we are still planning to go to Alaska the summer of 2017 -- and by your house on the way back (or pretty close as we want to go to Seattle on they way back to Florida.)

Where are you headed this summer. We go out again next week for three weeks of boating on east TENN lakes.

take care === Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
Hello Ed --

Let me know if you need me to look at anything on mine that will help on the wiring. I should have it all identical to yours.
Perhaps take pictures of switches or wiring as needed.

I know it is a long way off -- but we are still planning to go to Alaska the summer of 2017 -- and by your house on the way back (or pretty close as we want to go to Seattle on they way back to Florida.)

Where are you headed this summer. We go out again next week for three weeks of boating on east TENN lakes.

take care === Dale
Hi Dale, How are my friend? good to hear from you, We were kind of hoping to go to Alaska in 2017 as Debbie is officially finished in Jan.'17 but I think she's going to want to work the school year out........ she does not want to upset the kids in the middle of the year :face palm: I told her it's Quiti'n time Girl, time Time to play, Time for Us...... but it does not help!
She's just that kind of Lady Teacher!!!!

Right now I'm trying to get ready to pick up my Sister on the 12th she's coming over from Holland with her daughter from Belgium for a short visit but we have to leave on the 9th to get there in time and make a stop yet to (Vancouver, BC)!!!

I still have to do a lube job and setup the brakes and finish a bunch of little projects I've done over the last few month's.

As far as the Gen slide switch goes I need a new switch before I can do much else I guess, But if I do need something I will certainly take you up on your offer, thank you so much for responding.

Later this summer my brother and his wife are coming over from Holland for some camping and then in September (the 9TH ) our youngest Daughter is getting married in one of Canada's most Beautiful Provincial Parks (Kananaskis) Alberta. another regular crazy summer...... !

I'm almost jealous you get to go boating for three weeks, (what Boat?) I don't get out on the water enough anymore, my wife is not a boat person, we have a 14' inflatable but I could with more serious boat works !
I should not complain we are very lucky to own this wonderful Motorhome !!!
Make sure sure you get in touch before you come up this way, I hope we can somehow meet up even though it may be a bit of effort I'm willing to go a few miles and certainly on the way back like you said.

Safe travels to you and yours.

Best regards,

Ed and Debbie

Tags
generator, slide