Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #1

Getting to know my 2014 Excursion 35C

Even though I've had it two months I have not had enough time to get familiar with my 2014 Excursion 35C. Being as I still work and have to keep it at a storage site a couple of miles from the house its tough to get in and under it (my storage lot is a dirt lot so I don't really want to crawl around underneath there). It just barely fits in my slightly inclined driveway.

But I had some time this weekend to play. I gave it a wash (including the roof), fixed the faucet in the dump bay and did some crawling around underneath. With a rear radiator like this unit has you have very limited access to the engine. Its tough to get a look at this magnificent Cummins ISB from below. What I was able to tell is that I the drain plug on the oil pan is forward facing (downhill side of my driveway), so when its oil change time I can empty the pan pretty effectively. I also found the air filter, oil and fuel filters. Its pretty tight down there so I may have to get a few 2X6s down under the wheels so I can get under there a bit better (or maybe lose some weight). I'll have to see. Im not too sure how the parking brake works on air brakes yet, so I have some industrial truck style wheel chocks on the back wheels just incase. Don't know how well they will work if the tires are up on boards.

Oh yea, while down there I got a look at some of the exquisite workmanship that goes into these coaches. Wires and hoses all over the place. Some things tied down, some not. While I was feeling around I found a piece of metal that seemed to not have a home. I unsnagged it from the rats nest it was stuck in and it just came out in my hand. I assume its some sort of bracket. I couldn't see where it went or what it was supposed to be holding. For now I'm going to assume its nothing critical.

I'll be heading back to my dealer with a couple of warranty fixes and I'll ask him to tell me where he think it came from.

The last thing I wanted to do before I took the MH back to storage was cut a 2X4 to support the Bed in the master suite while I am getting stuff out of the storage compartment. It had a cheap latch on it that immediately broke. I also have a memory foam mattress now which is much heavier and required more support.
I knew that there was some sort of door under the bed to allow access to the engine compartment. I decided to see if I could get the door open to see the top end of my pricey ISB. Once I got the storage floor out of the way I found a 27" X 22" piece of plywood held in with 4 very large Flat Head screws.

I took the biggest flathead I had and tried to open it. But the blade wasn't big enough and I was starting to deform the head

It was late (day after losing an hours sleep from springing forward) and I was sweaty an tired. I decided to put off opening the treasure chamber for another day when I had the proper sized tool. I'm hoping this is how one would access things like getting to the serpentine belt and maybe the fan ( if not I guess you'd have to remove the radiator to get to those items, something I don't know if I would feel comfortable tackling after looking at some of the Cummins videos on the cooling system).

But all in all I feel like I know my coach a bit better. I can certainly tackle the annual $600 oil change and whatnot. I think I read somewhere there are grease fittings located under the chassis. Did not seem them yet. Leave that for another day.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #2

we went camping again... this time to sand hollow in Utah..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sandy hollow 010.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	88097   Click image for larger version

Name:	sandy hollow 004.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	88098  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sandy hollow 012.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	88099  

Old 03-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
we went camping again... this time to sand hollow in Utah..

May I ask what you're towing ? Looks cool!

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Old 03-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

It's beautiful!
Napabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #5

I feel you. Same situation for me. rig in storage and just some time on weekends to dig around as I still work also. I do not have a driveway to bring it home to, condo.

It is kinda fun digging around and finding new stuff everytime then searching later to find out how something works or what it does. Does that ever end? I know on sailboats I have owned it never stops and there was always something that needed attn. I am learning rvs are the same way. I am ashamed of how long it took me to figure out how to get the cover of the generator and felt real silly when i finally figured out how easy it was.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1965 View Post
May I ask what you're towing ? Looks cool!

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
24' trailer for 2Polaris xp1000's