RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2018, 10:33 PM   #1

Grey and black tank capacity

Anyone ever check their tank capacities using a 5 gallon bucket?
My 2028 southwind was advertised as a 45 gallon grey tank but overflowed in the shower at 33 gallons.

Foodmanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 12:02 AM   #2

Have you ever read the FINE PRINT at the bottom of brochures?

Following is from the 2108 Fleetwood Southwind Brochure

Prices, materials, design and specifications are subject to change without notice. All weights, fuel, liquid capacities and dimensions are approximate.

Was that 33 gallons measured using bucket as it was drained or by pouring measured water into tank?

Was RV level, tilted when draining?
Waste holding tanks are typically shallow, long and sloped...maybe it still had water in it

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmanim View Post
Anyone ever check their tank capacities using a 5 gallon bucket?
My 2028 southwind was advertised as a 45 gallon grey tank but overflowed in the shower at 33 gallons.

How many buckets did it take for the gauge to show full?
Old 08-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #4

I started to measure my tanks once. I had a 5 gallon pail marked at 4 1/2 gallons, a hose leading into the bathroom with a shut off valve on it and a piece of paper to keep track of how many times I had to fill the bucket before the first tank was full. I didn't want to fill the bucket completely full then slop it over trying to pour it into the toilet. I even had the dump handle propped open.
As I stood there looking at my set up it occurred to me, "What does it matter"? I am not going to change or add tanks anyway.
My wife was relieved. She was sure I was going to have some kind of an accident and soak everything in the room.
Sometimes you are better off not knowing something.
Lynn
Old 08-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fleetwood always exaggerates the capacity of their tanks. In your case they probably included the capacity of your sinks and shower pan. I can tell you for certain, they include the water heater size as part of the freshwater capacity.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #6

Tanks were empty, rv was level, used 5 gallon bucket and grey tank overflowed into the shower, lowest point, at 34 gallons. Leaked on the floor as well that's a separate issue obviously the drain tube is not tight somewhere under the shower. I don't accept the fine print excuse. I'm sure your right it is just ridiculous. What are you supposed to do measure it before you buy? My class c had bigger grey tank. What is the use to have 100 gallon fresh tank and a 34 gallon grey and 30 gallon black. The grey is so small a few people and a couple days of dishes and showers and it is full. Do a lot of boondocking and it sucks. I would not have bought this unit if I knew
Foodmanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
It seems a shame that the REV/Fleetwood Group is catering to the full service hook up RVers only. IE residential refrigerators, small capacity water and holding tanks, high RPM generators, etc.
Makes me want to go hug my ol 95 Bounder. IE large low RPM generator, 100 gallons fresh water tank, 50 gallon gray & 50 gallon black tank, advertised. Actually 48 gray and 65 black. No vacuum flush commode. Can look down the commode drain and see how full the black tank is. No slide failure. HWH leveling jacks are not problematic.
I'm just a lucky guy. Great old coach and great old wife........GRIN

Richard

RLS7201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank