Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2017, 08:00 AM   #1

"Handling" upgrade

2017 FW Bounder 35K, What would be your first handling upgrade?
tickfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #2

A front end alignment. You have to know what you are starting with. Made a noticeable difference on my '17 Storm 32A.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #3

If your steering wheel is straight and the coach doesn't pull you should be OK alignment wise. Fleetwood aligns every coach after it is assembled at their factory. If after driving your coach and you feel it needs some improvement I'ld first check the tire pressures and make sure they match the PSI setting on the placard behind the drivers seat. If that is correct I'ld try the Cheap Handling Fix which is a way to stiffen the sway bars and only requires some time and a DIY ability on your part.
Here is a link to the verrrrrrrrrrrrrry long discussion of the CHF in the Ford chassis section.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html

I have done the CHF on 3 F53 coaches now and all I have done is move the links I do not change or modify any of the physical components,

I am also posting a link to a thread with a lot of very useful information to anyone with a recent build 35K. Handling is also discussed in the thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/2016...ce-276429.html
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you're on a Ford F53, don't spend any money on aftermarket stuff until you've performed the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix).

Basically, this is a chassis adjustment that moves the links on the front and rear torsion bar (sway bar) to increase the tension on side-to-side movement.

I've done this on my 2001 Mirada and my 1999 SOuthwind. Significant improvement. You can see how I did it on my Southwind, Yours will be similar, even if its a newer chassis

CHF – Cheap Handling Fix – Fix for sway and handling – 1999 Southwind 35S
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #5

First of all.....Do not throw away hard earned money on aftermarket stuff until you do some free things on your own. Weigh your coach (loaded for camping) and see what your weight distribution looks like. For example, my rear end was within 500 lbs of the axle limit and the front was 1500 away. Mine is rear heavy so I had to move weight up front. Then check the tire pressure. My dealer had my tires inflated to 105 lbs. Unnecessary and the ride was awful. Start at the PSI recommended on the yellow placard inside your motorhome and adjust according to your tire manufacturer's recommendations for your actual weight. Have your alignment checked. If your are still not satisfied, do the CHF. I just did the rear sway bar and this offered me the best improvement in handling to date. If this does not work, take your motorhome to someone who knows how to deal with your specific complaint. You can throw thousands of dollars at these things attempting to fix something that is simply not repairable. Just my .02
rssj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If I felt anything at all was needed, a track bar (panhard rod) for the suspension would be my first upgrade.

My first action, however, would be to get it weighed and get the tire pressures optimized for my particular rig. The factory default recommendations are seldom close to optimal and that can make a substantial difference in ride and handling.

Also a possible wheel alignment: the factory sets it with the coach empty & dry, and a loaded coach can sometimes change the alignment somewhat. If I felt the steering still didn't track well after getting the tire pressures optimal, an alignment with a typical load onboard would be my next step.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
If your steering wheel is straight and the coach doesn't pull you should be OK alignment wise. Fleetwood aligns every coach after it is assembled at their factory. If after driving your coach and you feel it needs some improvement I'ld first check the tire pressures and make sure they match the PSI setting on the placard behind the drivers seat. If that is correct I'ld try the Cheap Handling Fix which is a way to stiffen the sway bars and only requires some time and a DIY ability on your part.
Here is a link to the verrrrrrrrrrrrrry long discussion of the CHF in the Ford chassis section.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html

I have done the CHF on 3 F53 coaches now and all I have done is move the links I do not change or modify any of the physical components,

I am also posting a link to a thread with a lot of very useful information to anyone with a recent build 35K. Handling is also discussed in the thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/2016...ce-276429.html
Mine was new from the factory and the toe was out. I'd get the alignment while loaded then do the CHF.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:25 AM   #8

Front end alignment - our previous Fleetwood wore out the front tires at about 30,000 miles. So this time we had our new Fleetwood alignment checked on our own. The shop said that the toe-in was way out and we definitely got our money's worth by not having to prematurely replace the tires. So I recommend this be done - lots cheaper than cost of replacement tires down the road!
Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #9

Bs
The front alignment of my 2016 coach was also off when delivered. It manifested itself by the steering wheel not being straight when driving in a straight line. I insisted that the coach be aligned prior to my purchase. After the purchase one of the techs told me that they did not do an alignment but rather moved the splines of the steering wheel. When I brought this to Fleetwoods attention they performed an alignment when the coach was at the service center. When they had it on the alignment rack one of the tech noticed that one of the rear sway bar brackets was missing. They took the coach to the local Ford dealer who corrected the missing bracket. There have been quite a few reports of the sway bar brackets coming loose on F53's recently. If your mechanically inclined I suggest you get under the coach and check them with a torque wrench. Here is another link to a thread concerning the sway bar bracket.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/atten...ad-305445.html

Now I would like for someone to tell me what difference a loaded or unloaded coach makes to the alignment of a vehicle equipped with a solid front axle? There is no way for the load to effect the toe in with a solid axle. Camber adjustments requires bending the axle. Only possible setting that may require adjustment is caster.
What I suspect happens most often is the delivery drivers are not taking the care we do and knocking the front ends out of alignment on their delivery trip.

What is essential to any new RV buyer is taking a test drive of the coach you plan on buying before you take delivery and pay attention to how it steers and feels. I wish I had known that with my first coach. Before the purchase alignment is something the dealer/manufacturer is obligated to correct after purchase it's on your dime.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #10
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
Bs
The front alignment of my 2016 coach was also off when delivered. It manifested itself by the steering wheel not being straight when driving in a straight line. I insisted that the coach be aligned prior to my purchase. After the purchase one of the techs told me that they did not do an alignment but rather moved the splines of the steering wheel. When I brought this to Fleetwoods attention they performed an alignment when the coach was at the service center. When they had it on the alignment rack one of the tech noticed that one of the rear sway bar brackets was missing. They took the coach to the local Ford dealer who corrected the missing bracket. There have been quite a few reports of the sway bar brackets coming loose on F53's recently. If your mechanically inclined I suggest you get under the coach and check them with a torque wrench. Here is another link to a thread concerning the sway bar bracket.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/atten...ad-305445.html

Now I would like for someone to tell me what difference a loaded or unloaded coach makes to the alignment of a vehicle equipped with a solid front axle? There is no way for the load to effect the toe in with a solid axle. Camber adjustments requires bending the axle. Only possible setting that may require adjustment is caster.
What I suspect happens most often is the delivery drivers are not taking the care we do and knocking the front ends out of alignment on their delivery trip.

What is essential to any new RV buyer is taking a test drive of the coach you plan on buying before you take delivery and pay attention to how it steers and feels. I wish I had known that with my first coach. Before the purchase alignment is something the dealer/manufacturer is obligated to correct after purchase it's on your dime.
Amen to this.

My rear sway bar brackets broke and loosened off too. Northside Ford in Portland, OR said they never had seen that happen but they warranted it. Go figure.

I have had a shake/vibration since new that Northside fooled around with for most of the winter till they reached up into their colon and found about five stupid answers. And Ford Customer Service (Service. Really?) found at least two more. We parted on kissing (off) terms.

I am finding out that each manufacture of a certain component wants to blame someone else so they don't have to payout.

z3406's last paragraph about sums it up.

Tags
upgrade