RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #29

Converter replacement

Hello I have a update. I went into the coach as it was nice outside. I decided to try the generator again and held the button and it was clicking and then the generator did start. So I went out and tuned the shore power on. When back inside and shut off the generator and the shore power would do the same thing on and off with clicking. I went back up front and started the generator again then went back and used a hair dryer to blow into the source manager and also raised the top panel to blow warm air down at the other parts down below. After 5 or 10 minutes of that I went back up and shut of the generator again. This time the shore power worked without any problems. Now everything works great!!!!!!! Go figure John

American Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #30
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Here is a better explanation of charging priorities on American Coaches as my previous statement was not correct:

On the American Eagle, American Dream, and the American Tradition both the house batteries and the chassis batteries are charged no matter if on shore power, generator power or while driving. If on shore power or generator power the house batteries have priority and will be charged when ever required. When the House batteries are fully charged then the engine batteries will be charged if required. When driving the chassis batteries have priority and will be charged as needed. When the chassis batteries are fully charged then the house batteries will be charged if needed. This is all accomplished automatically. These coaches all have a inverter and a three stage battery charger.
Does anyone know if this explanation works on a 1991 American Eagle? (I am still learning about my coach.)

cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Does anyone know if this explanation works on a 1991 American Eagle? (I am still learning about my coach.)
With a 1991 coach, you need to determine if you have a solenoid based isolation system or a solid state, diode based, isolator.

If it has a solid state isolator, the alternator output is split between both battery banks, although the alternator output is only controlled by the chassis battery voltage.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #32
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
With a 1991 coach, you need to determine if you have a solenoid based isolation system or a solid state, diode based, isolator.

If it has a solid state isolator, the alternator output is split between both battery banks, although the alternator output is only controlled by the chassis battery voltage.
And, I determine this how? Where do I look and what am I looking for?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
And, I determine this how? Where do I look and what am I looking for?
Your looking for something like this in a compartment with battery cables and controls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2-batt-1-alt-200-amp-max-battery-isolator-13.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	229608
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:17 PM   #34
cwk

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your looking for something like this in a compartment with battery cables and controls.

Attachment 229608
I took some photos that I want to share. However, I DO NOT WANT TO HIJACK this thread with a discussion of my coach. So...

Here is a link to the post with the photos. It is part of a larger thread discussion devoted to my coach for many issues. This is post #312 in that thread. If anyone would like to follow along, and possibly contribute, please follow the link. I would be very appreciative.

Our "New" 1991 American Eagle - A Work in Progress

I do thank the OP for starting this discussion, but I do not want to be rude and sidetrack it.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:49 AM   #35

inverter problem

Hello everyone
I have gotten through winter and am getting ready for our first trip. I turned on the shore power for the first time sense it was switching back and forth on power. Anyway it started like nornal with the charge humming only it did the elevated charging and the cooling fan running non stop. The system settled down but is still humming. I am wondering if I should go ahead with changing out the heartland system. Guess I want to know if I should or wait. Thanks In advance John Wenner
American Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #36

John, see my comments in your new thread.

Tags
inverter