Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #1

Post Heart Source Manager 20 Replacement

I ordered the Magnum MS2012 Inverter/Charger, the automatic transfer switch and a subpanel to replace my existing Source Manager 20. At this point I am looking for a diagram or instructions that show how to wire the new inverter. The Source Manager 20 has AC1 In and Out wiring on the top ride side of the inverter and a Panel 1 and Panel 2 wiring on the top left of the inverter. This is for a Fleetwood 1999 American Tradition
puptruk95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Source Manager Troubleshooting document that explains quite a bit about how it is wired to the load center. Might help you figure it out. PM your email to me and I'll send the pdf file.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #3

puptruk95, take a look at the tread on page two(heart freedom 20) mackwrench posted some great info on the swap he did, has pics and detailed diagrams.
dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Been all over this, hopefully you can make this hand written diagram out
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190814_204536483.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	268560

I used a Freedom 458 dual input/dual output but the Magnum should wire up about the same
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:41 PM   #5

The old source manager had a contractor the opened when on battery power, it kept the A/C from running.

You'll replace the microwave beaker with a 30 amp, the microwave will then move to the new sub panel box. The 30A will then supply power to inverter/charger.

Basically you'll move all the wires that will be inverter used to the sub panel.
In my case it was microwave, TVs and outlets (4 breakers)

PM or reach out here if you got any questions or concerns

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/heart-freedom-20-a-469373.html
Old 12-08-2019, 08:36 AM   #6

Puptruk:
I also have a 1999 Tradition with the original Heart Source. Would be interested if you'd document the install with pics and diagrams. Thanks
vetteandharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
The old source manager had a contractor the opened when on battery power, it kept the A/C from running.

You'll replace the microwave beaker with a 30 amp, the microwave will then move to the new sub panel box. The 30A will then supply power to inverter/charger.

Basically you'll move all the wires that will be inverter used to the sub panel.
In my case it was microwave, TVs and outlets (4 breakers)

PM or reach out here if you got any questions or concerns

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/heart-freedom-20-a-469373.html
Do you mind sharing what the replacement project cost you? Just rough guesstimate is good enough. Mine is still working, but I see the writing on the wall.
steveschlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschlott View Post
Do you mind sharing what the replacement project cost you? Just rough guesstimate is good enough. Mine is still working, but I see the writing on the wall.
Not at all....

Freedom 458 2500W dual input/output, from Colorado Standby- $1200

Square-D 70 amp sub panel, 4 - 20amp breakers - local Home Depot, I think were around $50 bucks

50 amp transfer switch/surge protector on Amazon - $130

So....1300/1400 bucks was blood guts and feathers.

I'm sure someone here has probably done it for less.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveschlott View Post
If yours is still working, I would suggest disconnecting power, both AC and DC (unhook battery cable)
And open the unit up. There's 4 screws holding top cover on, then on the right side of the rows of contactors, your see a handle that you use to lift open the contractor "tray" the charger/inverter is under it.

The source manager has foam insulation attached to the inside, over time the insulation falls down into the charger and causes it to overheat/fail.
Mine was full of the stuff.

Perhaps vacuum all the loose debris out of it will prolong the life....
Old 12-10-2019, 05:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Perhaps vacuum all the loose debris out of it will prolong the life....
Good advice. I had it open and found what you describe and I removed what I could. I also replaced a clogged mesh filter on the right side where it draws in air. Mine was not charging the chassis batteries when on shore power so I installed a $20 trickle charger which has kept me in operation for over a year now.
steveschlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:45 AM   #11

Freedom 20 replacement

Hello everyone. I was going to replace my inverter converter last spring and found out it was cold blooded. When it was below 55 degrees it wouldn't work on shore power. Worker all summer and now is in the cold and not working. Don't know if it will live this year. Has anyone relocated the system out by the batteries or in the shore compartment? Thanks John
Old 12-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #12

Hello I opened the top of the unit and lifted the tray. My insulation is good. I have to use the gen to startup the converter then use a hair dryer under the cover to heat up what ever is cold. After 5 minutes of that I can turn on the shore power. Go figure
Old 12-27-2019, 09:36 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a circuit board going bad as it contracts with the cold. Circuit boards for the old Heart products have been unavialble for years now, so you are out of luck unless you find a used one somewhere.

Does your '99 have the Heart Source Manager, which is basically a Heart Freedom inverter/charger coupled to a custom auto transfer switch? If so, it can be replaced by a newer inverter/charger and a separate auto transfer switch.

If somebody has already done the conversion from the Source Manager to separate modules, you can just install a new inverter of your choice. However, any remote control panels are probably tied to the Heart interface, so those would need to be replaced too.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #14

I just completed the replacement process for the Heart Source Manager 20. Replaced it with a Magnum MS2012 Inverter/Charger and Surge Guard 50 Amp Transfer switch. I am about finished with the documentation with pictures and diagrams, and will post soon.
puptruk95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement