Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Height adjustment on Motorhome (American Eagle)

We're looking at getting an older motorhome, probably an American Eagle (Late 90's). I really do not know what I am getting into and trying to look at all aspects reasonably 1st. We've only owned a 16' Casita in the past which we had no problems taking anywhere.

Motorhomes seem to sit low, but I know they have adjustable ride height with the air bags. I am just not sure how much higher you can adjust them. We'd like to take it to our family's home for the holidays, but they have a really steep gravel driveway.

My question is , is how much can you raise up an American Eagle 40' (96-98ish) using the adjustments? I honestly do not know if their height is just what I am seeing at the rv lot , or if you can lift them up a few more inches with the bags to go over and incline, etc. Sorry for the newbish question, but we've never even ridden in a motorhome before.
saltcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Motor homes with air bags have a pre-set height from the chassis builder. Over inflating the air bags will cause them to rupture. Motor homes you see sitting on the lot have probably lost air in the bags due to just sitting or, the air was dumped on purpose to lower them for ease of entrance.
If I dump the air bags on my coach, the top of the tire is hidden by the top of the wheel arch, when the bags are at ride height, there is distance between the tires and the top of the arch. Not knowing anything about your driveway issue it's difficult to determine if the coach will clear, drag or get stuck.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:01 PM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
^ is correct.

1) the ride height is a specific measurement set by the chassis manufacture and is usually a distance between the axle and the frame. In my case it is 7 1/2 inches in the front.

I looked for a picture showing the body height with the bags inflated to ride height, and found this one. The shadow makes it very hard to tell, but I have room to crawl under the bus on my back and have a inch to spare (I'm a big guy). If you look at the front it should give you an idea.

This is the Room in the wheel well and I have over size tires (295/75/22.5)

2) If the motor home has been sitting on the lot it most likely has lost air to the suspension. This should not happen, but with the age (mine is a 97) it is common. When I purchased my motor home the first thing I did was replace all the air bags and then all the ride height sensors. The motor home would sit for a month and not lose pressure.

3) This past summer that changed and would lose pressure over night. I had a truck place look for the leak and it got extensive. Even pulled the air compressor and the descant air cleaner. I finally found the leak in the sensors under the dash and that was a simple fix. Low Air Pressure Senor Replacement

4) I do not want to scare you away, the American Coaches are a "1,000,000 mile" chassis and have a drive train to match. Routine maintenance is critical. Don't buy a coach that does not have all the manuals (they are extensive) and maintenance records.

5) I have started to put to gather a list of things to before leaving a dealership (common question and got tired of writing it over and over) after a purchase, you might get some ideas of what to look for when considering a unit from the list

Do not leave the Dealership until you have been shown how to use your Motor Home.

This should include checking the fluids in your engine, running the Motor Home on shore power, being explained how to dump both the black and gray water tanks, make sure you have a hose to connect to the dump fixture and the dump port in the ground, run the internal 12 volt water pump, have them explain how to hook up to city water, run the furnaces, check the level in the batteries, run the jacks / leveling system, in the driver’s seat go over all the controls (put you hand on each one and operate it) , run the dash A/C, run the ceiling A/C units, make sure you water comes out of the faucets (check that you make hot water), run the micro wave, stove, oven, check all the lights, work the toilet, Shower, review the charging, solar, monitoring system, run the washer dryer.

There may be more and I’m sure someone will check in with something else.

The big thing is do NOT let them rush you out, the time to ask questions is before you leave, once you leave getting answers gets much harder.

If you do a good job here I’m sure you will find faults and get the promise that they will fix the problems in writing.

If you spend an hour you have not done it right, four hours is more like it.

6) I would say I have had to do a lot of work to get mine to a point where I trust it. Most of that was because I did not buy smart. I bought it because I liked the way it looked. In my signature is my projects thread, take a look. Remember I did not buy smart.

7) found two more pictures see below of the motor home sitting at ride height

8) I would be surprised if it had any problems getting up the driveway, it would really have to have some abrupt incline changes to cause a problem.

9) Feel free to ask questions this is a great forum with lots of information.

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160714_071140.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	706.1 KB
ID:	146418   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160714_071251.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	689.5 KB
ID:	146419  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I've followed in your project thread, and the work you have done on your beautiful coach is amazing. I've really fallen in love with the American Eagle line. The picture of the wheelwell is exactly what I was looking for. We looked at a 96 yesterday that was in good shape mostly, but it would need paint before long and that is a pretty big additional expense.
saltcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #5

To the OP, I hate to say it, but you may actually have contracted an incurable disease, "Got to have a vintage American Eagle-itis".

I contracted this malady 9 years ago when I was on the hunt for my first MH.

These are excellent machines, but look out for any apparent rust on the underside of the cargo bays and the outer frame around the cargo doors. Just bring the doors up and have a look at each compartment.

If you see any rust in those areas, move on to another coach.

Here is a picture of what the bays should look like (yes even the battery bay should be rust free).

They should be 100% rust free, if not keep searching:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM0665.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	146458  
Old 12-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Yup..... I've got the same disease!
Attached Thumbnails