Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 02:49 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
HELP! Major leak '03 Expedition 37U

Happy 4th of July to all. Need some help with a semi new to me '03 Expedition 37U. We have owned it for about 4 months or so now and out on our first extended stay. We headed up to Oregon and set up, I noticed I was low on propane so decided to try out the electric heating element for the hot water for the first time.

We left the campground for a few hours and when we returned I noticed a small lake beneath the RV. My wife had left the pump on and the once full water tank was now at 1/4. The rear 2 bays on the passenger side were flooded with water streaming down from the light fixture above in each bay. Additional the majority of the water was coming from a small hose that exits just above the rear passenger side tires.

After a lot of trial and error I discovered putting the water heater into bypass allowed me to use the water via the pump and to eventually connect the city water and use it without further issue. Except of course that I have no hot water and a very unhappy camper wife

In addition to the flooded bays the carpet was soaked in the bedroom along the bed platform edge but did not get wet going into the bathroom or near the outside wall. I am assuming that some how a hose must of broke or a pipe split etc that runs either from or to the water heater that is located at the right rear of the coach.

Couple of questions, first does this sound like an accurate assumption from the vets out there? What exactly is the hose that exits above the rear wheels? Final question is, does anyone have any idea how to access this area? it appears to be above the bays but below in the inside floor so I am not sure how to gain access to the area to look for the root cause.

Thanks in advance for any and all help folks can provide!
RClifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are there any drawers above the area above the wheel? If so, you may be able to access the area by removing the drawers from that area. I would also access the area behind the water heater. Once again there is usually a cabinet or drawer that can be removed so that you can see the backside of the water heater and hopefully determine what is leaking or at least where the hosed run to. It is common to have the hoses to the water heater fail or leak.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #3

mojorracing gave a good suggestion on how to find the water tank. My 07 bounder blew the hot water line last Winter. Same places were affected (bays and the carpet). Seems that the plastic fittings used were not appropriate for the heat. If you can get to the back of the water heater you can replace the lines with metal braided ones from the Depot or Lowes.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:56 AM   #4

I discovered while recarpeting my discovery that fw ran the plumbing in chases in the floor. My water heater is in the last bay on the rt so a valley is in the floor under the carpet that runs to the bath sink area. Then another chase runs across the floor to the shower. If the carpet is pulled you will find plywood covers screwed to the the floor covering these chases. your water leak may be in one of the chases thus getting the carpet wet in your bedroom. You also may have a leak in the water heater itself if its mounted at floor level in the rt rear of your coach.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #5

My 02 Eagle water heater sprang a leak. This was no the tank itself. On the bottom of the tank, corrosion caused a pin hole. Took a day for me to replace.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak