Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HELP...Need to Winterize

I need to winterize the Bounder this afternoon, I have been reading about blowing the lines out with compressed air. How can I connect my compressor to the lines to do this?
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
I just made a Male air chuck to 3/4 pipe I believe to attach to the water in hose and use 30 lbs of air to clean all of the lines-toilet- water heater I remove the element and just let it drain till empty.
the whole process takes less than an hour
I'll take a picture of the fitting if you need one.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #3

I cut the end off an old 1/2 inch water hose, stuck a air quick connect in the cut end. Works great. BTW I usually set my compressor to between 15 and 20 PSI. Seems to work best for me. With the compressor pruessirizing the lines, go inside and open each faucet to expel the water. Finish by adding a cup of antifreeze to each p trap and the toilet. If you have a washer you will need to pump antifreeze thru the washer to protect its water pump
Old 11-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #4

There are both a plastic and brass adaptor available to hook an air line to the city water hook up.
The disadvantage of the plastic adaptor is that it requires someone hold a tire air chuck on while the blow out is ongoing.
The brass has a quick connect, built onto it.
I'll see if I can find a picture.
NOTE: The blow out from the city water hook up , will not remove all the water from the 12v water pump, you will need to run A/F through the pump, or remove it and store it away from freezing temps.
DO NOT ASK how I know this.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dont forget about the sink, shower P traps. Dont ask me how I know. Put the pink stuff in them.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks ALL!!!
Pics would be great....last March, right after we bought it the cold front passed thru AL/GA...I opened the faucets and thought I had accomplished the task of draing the water. We ended up having to replace almost every line...do not want to risk it again
FMCA F438950
Old 11-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #7

This is the one I use. About $8 from Amazon and many other places. I set the air compressor on 60 pi and blow everything until only air comes out. Don't forget ice cube maker, washer dryer, water filters etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blow out fitting.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	79267  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Picture is worth a 1000 words

Fresh water tank is drained then I should bypass the hot water heater and drain it prior to blowing air thru? Once lines blow air, follow up with pink stuff?
FMCA F438950
Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bigd9 has the answer - works great! And, you have the rest of the procedure right, AUPOP. Open the low point drains to empty the lines as well.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #10

You can use the pink stuff if you want, its good insurance. I don't use antifreeze solution because I hate the taste and we take the coach out camping in the winter. I just blow all of the lines and antifreeze the traps and washing machine.

As far as the water heater goes, I just drain it then replug the heater and blow the hot water lines out, then pull the drain plug out to make sure it is empty (It always is but I can't help myself checking)
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The black and grey tanks were emtied the last trip. When the lines are blown empty, will it be necessary to drain them again, or would it be "OK" to add some pink stuff to both?
FMCA F438950
Old 11-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Should be OK if you add enough pink stuff.

I always drain and flush the tanks before winterizing. I leave the valves open with a pail underneath to catch anything that drains. Water runs to the low point in the tank and that is the valves. Unsure if water freezing against the valve is detrimental but cannot be good.

Last thing I want is a leaking black water valve when I take off the cap to hook on the sewer hose. Have heard some interesting and tummy turning stories posted in various threads.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #13

Here's what I don't understand. If you are going to draw pink through the coach via a hose attached to the water pump, why would you bother with blowing the lines with air first? I see this discussed a lot. The manuals in both class a's I've owned mentioned ONLY the procedure to winterize with pink..
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Here's what I don't understand. If you are going to draw pink through the coach via a hose attached to the water pump, why would you bother with blowing the lines with air first? I see this discussed a lot. The manuals in both class a's I've owned mentioned ONLY the procedure to winterize with pink..
I don't get that either , one or the other is all that's needed. Me ? I've been using the air method since 1995. Last year it sat in -30 wind chills for over a week. One thing I have learned is the pink stuff in the toilet ruins the seal. Now I don't put it in the toilet anymore , I treat the seal with olive oil.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter