Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #15

If you can get to the terminals a Voltmeter will be your friend. It's a matter of working through the chain of contacts from the ignition switch or whatever the source is through the chain to the relay control post. Measure to ground. The 12 V nominal will be at the first terminal and disappear somewhere down the chain. Tapping on the relay's jars a stuck/dirty contact into working. Sometimes selective tapping can also show the bad relay. Good luck, they are a PITA to deal with.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 08:25 PM   #16
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
We had similar, Fried a battery, bought the year before, They (store) replaced it N/C,
Interesting to hear your problem.

Tim
Batteries have all been tested with a Snapon battery tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirishman View Post
I had a simular issue and it was the 200 amp fuse. It was located under near the engine. I followed the wiring from the chasis battery. If I remember right there are a couple of them inline. Goodluck to you!
I do believe it is this fuse or the secondary solenoid, I just cannot find them

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
relay and fuse you cant find may be on the back side of the motor on top of the trans

if you see some 3/0 or 4.0 wiring going on top of the trans ... very hard to see then its on top

this was installed this way on some RV when there was no bays installed and the RV need to be moved around befo the body of the RV was ever installed

just guessing here but i have seen a few like that

all so i seen some one post and showed pics of a 200 amp fuse installed in the frame like you are talking next to the motor from the under side of the RV in the motor bay
I will look when I get home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Since we are all guessing--my "guess" is that the secondary solenoid [the one that provides power to the primary solenoid on the starter, the one that is activated by the ignition key] has gone bad. Probably looks like an old ford/chevy continuous use, four-post solenoid, located near the battery or mechanical compartments.....About $25 at NAPA, about $12 on Amazon.
I agree, fuse or solenoid, just cannot find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
I agree ! Chase the small wire from the starter solenoid back to the remote start pre solenoid most likely located somewhere in or close to the engine compartment . mine took a dump in a rest area and I jumped the starter and left it running 300 miles to home. Everything else functioned normally on the trip home.
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Exact same problem on my gas coach six days ago. Acted like a slide was open which, on mine, will cause those symptoms.

Couldn't find any sensing switches on the slide outs that would act as interlocks.
I went to the 12 volt electronics control module and checked some of the slide fuses, banged on the two slide out relays and all the others too.

Eventually after more tapping and banging it started.

We are on a cross country trip from California to Florida and back and I worried the same problem will occur again as I didn't find anything concrete to cause the problem.

But my thought is that it has something to do with the ignition lockout that occurs if the slides are out or the jacks aren't retracted.

I was sitting in Texas when my problem occurred and we had to be in Florida for a cruise this Friday so I was making plans to drive the toad to Texas when the engine mysteriously started.

Let us know what you find, I'd really be interested in knowing.
I will, hope you do not have any more problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
If you can get to the terminals a Voltmeter will be your friend. It's a matter of working through the chain of contacts from the ignition switch or whatever the source is through the chain to the relay control post. Measure to ground. The 12 V nominal will be at the first terminal and disappear somewhere down the chain. Tapping on the relay's jars a stuck/dirty contact into working. Sometimes selective tapping can also show the bad relay. Good luck, they are a PITA to deal with.
I like a test light in this situation. I do agree.

We connected a remote rear start switch.

Connected to the fuse panel a fuse that runs to a key switch which then runs to the key terminal on the starter.

Turn the dash key to on, turn the remote key to start and the starter engages and engine runs as it should.

drove 250 to Richman hill KOA Ga. All functioned as it should

currently 37 degrees and is supposed to go to 22. Now I am concerned about winterization. We are heading to Rochester ny

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:38 AM   #17

Glen,
Your a Macgyver kind of guy ! Glad to hear your moving and yes it's cold up here.
When you get home check this thread >http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cumm...ic-179725.html , same issues your having.
Safe Travels

This may be of some help too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	starter wiring.jpg
Views:	1331
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	79421  
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:51 AM   #18
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Glen,
Your a Macgyver kind of guy ! Glad to hear your moving and yes it's cold up here.
When you get home check this thread >http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cumm...ic-179725.html , same issues your having.
Safe Travels

This may be of some help too.
Yep, I have to find the secondary solenoid and the 200 amp fuse

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #19

If the engine will run after a starter jump --its not the 200 amp fuse; stick with the secondary solenoid as the probable cause. Dont follow the large bat cables coming from the starter, most starters are hot wired directly to the bats, and the secondary solenoid is used via a much smaller 10g wire to activate the primary solenoid on the starter. Look on the reverse bulkheads surrounding the bat or mechcanical compartments--but just guessing on location......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #20
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
If the engine will run after a starter jump --its not the 200 amp fuse; stick with the secondary solenoid as the probable cause. Dont follow the large bat cables coming from the starter, most starters are hot wired directly to the bats, and the secondary solenoid is used via a much smaller 10g wire to activate the primary solenoid on the starter. Look on the reverse bulkheads surrounding the bat or mechcanical compartments--but just guessing on location......
This may wait to spring now

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Now that I am home I have access to my home desktop computer and I also have access to the wiring diagrams that Gillig has sent to me.

It indicates the elusive secondary starter solenoid is in the rear electrical panel, bot the battery control box. Now that I am not fixated on the battery control box, maybe I can find the rear electrical box?????

While perusing the Gillig wiring diagram I also found a Neutral Relay, in what they call the Front Electrical Panel, now all I have to do is find that Panel also.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Had this prob. My secondary solenoid was in the compartment under the drivers window in front of the wheel. If solenoid make sure you get a CONTINUOUS DUTY solenoid. A starter solenoid will burn out in short order. Sometimes minutes sometimes hours.
Good luck.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #23
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok guys....here is the solution to the problem.

I sent a request to American Coach as to the location of the relay, and received this rely.

Glenn,
The rear Gillig panel is located under the bed. Open the bed, then the engine access. The Gillig components you show are under there.
The front panel is under the hood in the front.
Hope that helps.
Deb Merritt

So... I went and looked and this is what I found. Sorry for the quality of the picture, it was dark out and I was lighting with a flashlight.

The elusive relay is found! under the bed on the forward baldhead in the engine compartment.

Had my wife turning and holding the key to start position and I used a test light to see if I had power from the key.

Off the nut holding the wires in place I did not, moved the probe to the eyelets of the wire connector and wiggled, the light came on and the engine surprised us and cranked.

Removed the nuts, cleaned all the wire eyelets with Emory paper and the engine now cranks for the dash again, no parts required.

Good Sam road service for four hours of work, they did not find the relay nor did they solve the problem ($500.00), just a work around, which did get us home.

There is a diode between the two terminals that is not in the wiring diagram, ideas on it purpose?

When the weather warms up I will do a complete cleaning of this area, I will also clean up the remote start that the road service installed. I would also like to have it so the engine can also be killed from the remote switch, I will have to think on that.

Turely, thanks for all your help.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #24
YC1

The diode suppresses high voltage spikes caused by the expanding and collapsing magnetic field when the key is turned to the start position and then when the key returns to the run position another spike is possible. Isn't it amazing how troublesome a simple loose nut can be? Using the test light was an excellent choice and NOT just pushing and pulling on wires which would not have been as conclusive as the test indicated.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #25

If you don't mind me asking, what year is your coach and is it a American Dream?
MJones041400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones041400 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what year is your coach and is it a American Dream?
It is a 97 American Dream....
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:21 PM   #27
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones041400 View Post

1997 American Dream on a Gillig chassis.

Shutting down now and will be gone for a couple of days, moving

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-05-2018, 06:19 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

If the ignition circuit cannot verify that the tranny is in neutral, it won't engage to solenoid for cranking. Could it be the the wire that carries the "in neutral" signal is damaged?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service