Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2017, 09:05 PM   #1

Help with GFI outlets in Discovery 39f

Hi there!
We're out on out second excursion with our new Discovery and have discovered that all of the outlets along the kitchen side of the rig aren't working, along with the dishwasher. We've checked all the breakers and reset the two GFI switches that we found. None of that worked. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? Is thus maybe indicative of a fuse issue? We'd figured with a brand new unit that we would be ok with that? Any ideas would be appreciated.
kaosinapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #2

Check your outside outlet to see if it has a GFI, it might also be tied into the sink side of things as well, i know mine on my 5ver(dif brand) is.
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:40 AM   #3

There is usually a GFI outlet in the lavy and the kitchen. Reset them and test with a lamp, fan, hair dryer, etc. Also, check your inverter for a tripped breaker as that circuit often runs through the inverter.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:42 PM   #4

Check breakers on 12 volt 120 volt converter box
GBDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosinapig View Post
Hi there!
We're out on out second excursion with our new Discovery and have discovered that all of the outlets along the kitchen side of the rig aren't working, along with the dishwasher. We've checked all the breakers and reset the two GFI switches that we found. None of that worked. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? Is thus maybe indicative of a fuse issue? We'd figured with a brand new unit that we would be ok with that? Any ideas would be appreciated.
We are considering buying a new 39f. Besides the electrical issue you are currently having, what do you think of this rig overall. Any tips or suggestions for us to help decide. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #6

Good afternoon bepar108,
We have just returned from our third outing in our 39f. It's a nice rig and I'm sure would be a nice step up from your Bounder. When we took it in for its first service after owning it a couple of months, we had a list of 21 items that needed to be addressed. Most of the items were simple things; it turns out that the GFI thing was a GFI outlet we hadn't seen under the sink that had tripped. For some reason, it tripped again this weekend and won't reset. We think it just needs to be replaced. Other than that, most of the issues we've had have simply been user error We do think the dining table (we have the dinette booth style one) is too high, but we're adjusting to it. Other than that, it rides very well, is reasonably quiet (I'm sure some noise is normal) and my husband has done well learning to drive it easily. The only other issue we have is the AC in the rear just doesn't seem to cool the bedroom area very well - I know we're in Texas, but it still seems hot. After comparing it to several Thor products and a Pace Arrow, we were much happier stepping up to the Discovery, we find the overall quality is better. Feel free to ask us any other questions you have!
Good luck!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Those outlets are probably powered through the inverter, so it could be the breaker on the inverter itself has tripped.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #8

I took those GFI buggers out a long time ago! Nothing but trouble. Never needed them growing up in a 1940's house that used glass screw-in fuses. Just don't take a shower with the hair dryer in your hand.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:27 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen45 View Post
There is usually a GFI outlet in the lavy and the kitchen. Reset them and test with a lamp, fan, hair dryer, etc. Also, check your inverter for a tripped breaker as that circuit often runs through the inverter.
I'll add my 2 cents. In my coach's case the "head" half bath GFI controlled half the coach while the "galley" GFI the remainder AC outlets. I purchased two higher quality GFI and installed them several years ago, i.e.: lighted led if tripped, easier reset and test, this was a very inexpensive upgrade and has proven to decrease my stress level greatly
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:56 AM   #10

We actually replaced it yesterday, so hopefully that will be the end of it!
Thanks everyone for replying.

Tags
discovery