Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Help with Satellite Dish Installation

I have just purchased a Winegard sat system for my 2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E and plan on removing the old dome sat on the roof and replacing it with the newer dish. After looking at the present set up it appears that the cables run from the roof and come out behind the TV. I thought I would be able to attach the new cables to the old and pull them through whilst removing the old ones. Looks like the cables are clamped behind the TV so I cant get them to move without removing the TV.
before I do this can anyone advise if this is the correct way to do this and if so, how do you remove the TV from the front of the coach. I can see three screws on each side of the TV mount, do these have to be removed to take the TV out and once removed will this give me access to all the wiring.

Thanks in advance for any help.
jonthebap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I installed a new Winegard Travler on our 2012 Fleetwood Discovery 36J and here's how I did it:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/wine...iy-218558.html

I tied very strong fishing line to the cables and then pulled them out on top. Tied the new cables to the fishing line, and pulled them through and inside the A/V bay.

The cables were coiled up in the outside wall near the driver's side, making it tough to get them out. After I cut the restraining tape, it was relatively easy.

Didn't have to remove the TV, since the cables were behind the A/V bay and on the driver's side. Your Excursion may be different.

Hope this helps! LOVE the Travler!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I removed and replaced my front TV in the coach with a flat screen. My Bounder's OEM TV was installed in the cabinet with some small clamp type devices to hold it down. I removed the front trim panel around the TV and then loosened the clamps and out she came. It was very heavy though. Yours may not be the same as far as installation.

But the reason for my response is when we got the coach, used, the Satellite receiver was removed and the dish was, shall I say, not good. Since we don't do satellite anyway I removed the dish from atop the coach and installed a WiFi antenna. I wanted to pull the antenna wiring (CAT5e cable) through the same run as the Satellite coax. This is where I hit a wall. The way the coax is routed in the Bounder made it impossible to pull it through as the connector got hung up somewhere. I gave up and ran the CAT5e another direction utilizing the A/C ducting.

Hope you don't have the trouble I did but I wanted you to be aware.
Old 02-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #4

Thanks for the help and advice so far. Unfortunately I cant gain access to the cables through the drivers side unit that holds the Sat boxes. it has a hole in the side directly behind the TV with the cables coming out of it. The frame around the TV also appears to be built in and not removable so I'm guessing that the only way to gain access is by removing the TV. When I look at the back of the TV the only thing you can see are three screws on each side of the mounting frame and my guess is that these need to be removed to take the TV out. I have contacted Fleetwood and am waiting for a reply before I attempt any thing. I will do the roof install of the dish and await a response. I will take photos of things as I go and let you know the results of the feedback from Fleetwood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2163.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	120180  
Old 02-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO sometimes it's just better to bite the bullet and have a GOOD repair shop install these antennas. We're upgrading to the Travell'er from a dome in a month, and it's worth it to me to pay the $'s to have it done. I'm fully capable of doing this but it would take about 4-5 times longer for me to do it then them with the addition 110V poweer supply wiring etc. Also is there's any issues with water leaks, electric etc. it's back on the dealer to make it right.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #6

I agree with having someone do the installation. Five years ago I replace an AS-2003 with a SK-1000 on the trailer. On the new motorhome, I am having a SK-1000 installed.

I am getting to old to wrestle with a 55lb dish up to the roof. The install isn't bad but getting the dish on the roof is.

The Bounder is pre-wired for a simple dome dish so the coax cables are in place. But the Trav'ler control cable does need to be run and I figure there are those who are more practiced at that that I am.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #7

Well I received the schematics from Fleetwood and found that I could remove a small ceiling panel from inside the entertainment cupboard above the driver. Once I had removed this I was able to reach up and find the cables coming in to the RV from the roof. Used a coax connector to join the new run of cable to the old and pulled it through from the roof. I then pulled the electric cable through by taping it to the old one.

Replaced everything and now have the new dish installed and running so thanks to all of you who gave help and advice. Like those who have undertaken this project before me, I agree that the hardest part is lugging that dish up on to the roof. After that about three hours work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2171.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	120390  
Old 03-03-2016, 09:56 AM   #8

What dome did you replace? I have a KVH R5 in motion on our rig. I updated the software on the electronic side of the dome and I get AWESOME HD now! Love that dome!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, satellite