Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #1

House battery ID on 1996 Tioga Montara

I just purchased a Class C 1996 Tioga Montara 29 Ft. It has two batteries under the hood. One is a house battery and one is the engine battery. Which is which? The owner put two identical non Marine batteries in it. They are forever more dead. I need to know which is the house battery. I want to try to get a large as possible 12 volt marine in the hole. I think the battery on the drivers side is the engine battery and passenger side is the house. Does anyone know how big of a battery will fit for the house battery? I would like a 29 or 31 if possible. Thanks, Bill
One legged c is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The crude but simple way to determine that is to remove the wire from the positive post on one or the other and see what stops working. Another way is to follow the positive wire to see which ultimately goes to the starter motor (and thus is the chassis battery), but that can be challenging on a Class C front end.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #3

My 1999 e450 had the chassis battery on the curb side. The positive cable was short and went to a solenoid tucked up next to it.

Hope that helps.

Take some pictures and post them. We may better ID stuff.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:07 AM   #4

Is the drivers side the curb side?
Old 10-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #5

I am going to pick the motorhome up on Thursday. We jumped it to test drive it and still afterwards the batteries were totally dead. Would not even run the lights. So I wrote down the battery size, a 65-N. But there was a little more room on the passenger side for a bigger battery. So if that is the house battery it will hold a bigger battery. The battery on the drivers side is a tight squeeze. The 65-N is the correct starting battery according to Ford. If I were close I could easily test and tell which was which by unhooking the batteries and using my jump pack to see which started the engine. It's a 100 miles away. I want to take the new batteries with me so they have a nice hundred mile drive to top them off. I am disabled and cant lift batteries to install them. The old folks son is a welder and is going to help me. It would be nice to get it done. I have searched on the internet and have seen people saying different sides for the 1996 F53 chassis. Thanks for the help folks! Bill
Old 10-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by One legged c View Post
Is the drivers side the curb side?
No, the passenger side.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:24 AM   #7

Hey that's great! I am going to get a group 29 marine from Advance Auto. Its says it's a 115 amp hour.

Tags
battery