Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

How to get external cable TV signal to front TV?

Hello

2011 Fleetwood Storm
Sasui TV
Linear Series DVD player/system head
push button selector below that for front/external/rear TV

For those of you Fleetwood Storm owners with the above (I assume standard) equipment, how in the world do you get an external cable TV signal to the front TV?

I have a functioning cable TV signal plugged into the side of the RV. Double checked that both are connected. TV only has one video input plugged into it that runs from the Linear Series DVD player/system head, and that is input 0 on the TV. We can play DVDs to the TV so I'm pretty sure the TV is selected properly.

It's the cable TV I've never been able to get working. What combination of mode selections and button presses gets that TV signal to the front TV for your RV? We've tried the logical ones, and I think just about every combination of illogical ones and we haven't been able to get a cable TV picture or sound.

My logical switch selection that one would think would work:
AV in front on Linear Series head
Cable button depressed on "Front TV viewing" selector.
Speaker selection to DVD player, although we have the TV sound up too
Input O on TV (only input with a cable going into it)

Thanks.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you have a roof antenna, it probably has a 12 v amplifier. That must be shut off when using a cable connection or it will cause interference. Often the camp cable is one of the input selections on the B.O.M.B. (box of many buttons) that selects from various inputs and sends it to front and back TVs.

Newer TVs have multiple inputs, if you have found the coax from the camp cable connection you could perhaps connect it directly to an alternate input on the TV or perhaps through the DVD player.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you have a roof antenna, it probably has a 12 v amplifier. That must be shut off when using a cable connection or it will cause interference. Often the camp cable is one of the input selections on the B.O.M.B. (box of many buttons) that selects from various inputs and sends it to front and back TVs.

Newer TVs have multiple inputs, if you have found the coax from the camp cable connection you could perhaps connect it directly to an alternate input on the TV or perhaps through the DVD player.
OK so where is that amp and how do I turn it off? I do have a rooftop antenna.

How does that box of many buttons come out so I can look for the coax that comes in from the exterior cable jack? I'm wondering if it is even connected.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:05 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Often the antenna amp is controlled by a small switch on the same face plate that the antenna coax is plugged into. It often has an LED that shows when it's on. It's something that most folks turn off until they want to use the antenna, it can be one of those phantom drains on the batteries during storage.

Are you sure the B.O.M.B. isn't just held in place with industrial strength velcro?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Often the antenna amp is controlled by a small switch on the same face plate that the antenna coax is plugged into. It often has an LED that shows when it's on. It's something that most folks turn off until they want to use the antenna, it can be one of those phantom drains on the batteries during storage.

Are you sure the B.O.M.B. isn't just held in place with industrial strength velcro?
I'm assuming that the antenna coax is plugged into the back of the Box Of Many Buttons. There are no visible plugs or anything like that. I don't see anything visible that looks like an antenna amp with a light. I'm not sure why they would hide it or not make it accessible?

I tried pulling the Box of Many Buttons out, but it gets about half way and then there is more resistance. I'm away from home in the RV so didn't want to pull it out and mess something up further. I'll try pulling it out later and looking for that amp and try to start following cables around. Not sure why something so simple has to be so complicated!
Old 06-20-2016, 05:23 AM   #6

The cable switch box i.e. B.O.M.B. (box of many buttons) in a Bounder is what powers the antenna and will send the signal from the cable in form the park cable to the front or rear TV. If someone updated the TV or the DVD player they may have redone the wires. I would start at the switch box by taking a pitcher with your phone or a camera to see what is connected to the back of the switch box. Good luck.

Richard Swinkels
Former owner of a 04 Bounder 35E
AB7OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #7

So I was at another campground today and they happened to have a cable TV coax hookup as well. I plugged in and finally "broke the code" to get the front TV showing cable.

BOMB "Front TV viewing" AUX 1
Input on TV, 0 (zero) (coax cable plugged into back of TV)
sound = only from TV, won't play through house speakers
flip the channels on the TV using the remote like you would normally

So if you were reading this thread looking for an answer, there you go.

No luck with the rear TV yet though. Put the rear TV BOMB on AUX 1 as well and get a very snowy picture with no sound......and that's it. Going to have to troubleshoot that as well.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I know this is a silly thing to ask but...do you have CABLE selected (as input) on the TV itself? I usually forget to do this when we're at a CG w/cable since we don't have satellite & always use OTA (Antenna mode on the TV).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:23 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will most likely have to auto tune your channels on rear tv for camp cable.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I know this is a silly thing to ask but...do you have CABLE selected (as input) on the TV itself? I usually forget to do this when we're at a CG w/cable since we don't have satellite & always use OTA (Antenna mode on the TV).

Lori-
Not a silly question as it's usually the simple stuff that works! I did have the correct input selected on the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
You will most likely have to auto tune your channels on rear tv for camp cable.
I tried that but no luck. It found like 4 or 5 very snowy channels but that's it unfortunately.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:22 PM   #11

To tie a ribbon around this thread........solution to the problem......TV was bad. We removed the rear TV from the RV, hooked it up to a COAX cable inside the house, got a picture but it was extremely snowy with no sound. Bought a new TV and the picture is fine. It was the "high quality" Sasui TV at fault all along.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:04 PM   #12

Thanks for this conversation folks. I have been struggling to get my coax KOA working for 2wks now and thanks to your discussion, i now have 50+ channels. Thank you so much irv2 and KOA.

2012 Fleetwood Storm
Sansui TV
Linear Series DVD player/system head
push button selector below that for front/external/rear TV

--TinaStorm
TinaStorm is offline   Reply With Quote