Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #1

Hydraulic leveling jack won't retract fully

My 2000 FW Discovery's right rear jack comes only half way up. It goes down normally but only comes back up half way. The RED jacks down light goes out.
What can I do? I thought the light went out only when all of the fluid had returned to reservoir. Perhaps too much fluid?
Newbie still learning
SJMcdowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 01:58 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
To much fluid, Maybe... I'm not sure, but I suspect when the "Jacks Down" red light goes out, it shuts off the retract solenoid valve.

Mine has a Power Gear manual system. If mine were doing this, I would extend all the jacks all the way down. I'd then drain the hydraulic reservoir.

Then hit the Retract ALL button and see if they come up all the way.

After they come up all the way, I'd top off the reservoir tank.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #3

Had that problem for 2 years. Had the coach in the shop for new heatpump during the winter and ask if they would check out. Turns out all they needed was greased. There is a grease fitting on the bottom of each jack. Felt stupid using a 7 ft piece of pipe to help the jacks come up. Never saw the fittings when I greased every thing else. They have worked fine ever since.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #4

I was wondering if the valve would close.
I was able put a jack under it and put up pressure then hit the UP button and it would move. I finally got it up all the way after 3 steps.
Now that it is up could I check the level/bleed any excess ?
Would putting it down and cleaning and lubing it help?
Old 05-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #5

Thanx HR2004 I'll check that out
Old 05-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Are these HWH levelers with the spring return?
If yes there are a few areas to review.
1. Dirty shafts. Use WD 40 to clean. Spray shafts and wipe clean. WD is to clean not lubricate.
2. Older setups had springs that are too weak. Replacement springs have tapered ends.
3. Worse case is bent shafts which would require replacement.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the reservoir was over filled, it should have dumped out the vent when the jacks were fully retracted.

Some of the jacks don't have grease fittings. My front ones have them, but my back ones ones don't.

When the jack is up, look on the bottom of the cylinder for the grease fitting. Its probably hidden behind the spring.

If you have them give them a few shots of grease. Excess should come out a small hole in the cylinder. This is exactly what you want. the old grease is contaminated with dirt.

The purpose of the grease (if your cylinder has them) is to lube the shaft, AND, trap any dirt and crap thats on the shaft.

If you've had the jacks extended for any length of time or in a dusty environment, Before retracting the jacks, wipe the shaft with a rag that has a little hydraulic fluid on it. Its a battle between lubricating the surface of the shaft, and pick up dirt and dust. OR, don't lubricate the shaft and it can bind a little when retracting.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #8

Thanx Waiter21 Good intel.
Sam
btw my first RV was an RF-4, mach 2 but could not pee
Old 05-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #9

X2 on the grease in the fittings. Also the owners manual calls for silicone lubricant to protect the chromed shafts if they are extended for any time.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
They are Power Gear jacks. And the rear grease zerk will let grease out around the whole shaft. Spraying all the shafts when jacks are down with silicone lubricant also helps.

I have been using WD-40 water resistant.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, the very first thing that you should do is make sure that those jacks are greased. The manufacturer recommends that they be greased every so many cycles. I grease mine every 12 cycles and clean off the excess with WD40 before spraying the rams with silicon spray. Had the same issue and discovered that the unit was shipped from the factory with the jacks not greased and the dealer did not do it either. Good hunting!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #12

Missing Zerks

So I have a Bounder 2001 31w with the Powergear jacks. I do not belive they have Zerks from the factory. I have not seen them atleast. It does not look like they are sheared off either. Is there something I am missing? I rebuilt the Drivers rear one and that came with the fitting BTW.
Mxg286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mxg286;

Sometimes the fittings get hidden behind the springs and are hard to see. BUT, many of the cylinders don't have them. Not a big deal. Just wipe the shafts down with a rag or paper towel that's dampened with a little hydraulic fluid before retracting them, especially if you are in very dusty environment or they've been extended a long time. This wipes the dirt/dust off and lubricates the shaft

The two front jacks on my Southwind have them, but the two rear jacks don't.

Look at the assembly photos, you can see the zerk fitting in the last photo. This is the shaft that I rebuilt just before its inserted back into the cylinder.

http://www.1999southwind.com/power-g...k-re-assembly/

NOTE - I keep saying Hydraulic fluid - If you're an airplane person, yes, 5606 will work. :-) However, for the mortals among us, Dexron III will do just fine.

\..
Old 05-30-2017, 07:23 AM   #14

Thanx for all the help. Cleaning with WD-40 and spraying with silicon did the trick.
I learned that front cylinders have external springs and rear internal. Grease fittings easy to get to.
Thanx again
Sam the newbie

Tags
leveling, hydraulic