Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #1

I Insulated the "Dash" way to much work but it works.

About a year and a half ago I was looking under the hood of my Pace Arrow. I could not believe the defrost ducts were just hanging there and the fibreglass part of the dash was so exposed to the elements. Being from the cold north and knowing about the hot south I thought I might able to make something better.

Looked at buying a plastic panel and making a template out of cardboard but it became to complicated. I then bought 3 big red plastic bins about 22 gallon size to piece together a template. The corners of the bins were cut to make angle peices along radiator support with a aluminum angle across the middle for support. The front edges trimmed to the contour of the front and laying on the edge off front panel.

The only extra holes were, 2 drilled in the fiberglass at the ends for the alum. angle and the plastic bin angles used existing screws and holes with about 8 extra holes and screws that I added.

When finished I decided it would be to hard to do in one piece and it was pretty solid as it was. I tied the ducts up as high as I could and insulated with Roxul insulation with some thin foam in some areas to stop wind and or water. The Roxul repels water and bugs. The insulation is 4 to almost 12 inches thick.

I have had this for over a year now it was way to much work I wanted to spray-foam it all but was worried about access to the wires along to top of the dash. I think now I would maybe put like Glad-wrap and possibly some grease for a release agent if a need to chip out and get at wiring?

I have driven the Motorhome last Winter at -35C Did not freeze driving but windows stayed clear most of the day, but had to run the fans later that night. I feel it was better with the air conditioning also travelling and parked,when I got to Mesa on the same trip as well as last summer on another vacation.

The other added bonus is the the wind and motor noise is very much quieter than before It was not that loud before but very noticeably reduced. It could be very quiet if I could insulate the doghouse one day.

Did not know if it would work I did not take any before pictures maybe someone could take one and post to compare(JohnRR). I am not going to take it apart till I need access the panel above the brake reservoir is removable easy for access for brake fluid. There is a peice of wood wedging up the plastic to give the right wiper crank some room.

I used Red cause black would be boring and blend in to much I am a chev guy but maybe I have a little W30 Olds in me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00005.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	95160   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00004.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	95164  

Name:	DSC00006.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	95165   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00007.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	95166  

Name:	DSC00008.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	95167  
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #2

Some other Pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00001.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	95168   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00002.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	95169  

Name:	DSC00003.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	95170  
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nice job!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:48 PM   #4

Wow, that must have been time consuming. Patented it, I want one.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very nice. If I hadn't traded in my Kountry Star, I would be asking allot of questions. Both my Kountry Star and Bounder had basically the same open are you fixed.

Tags
dash