Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Indoor Winter Storage Question...

I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this question or not, but…

Anyone out there have any experience with indoor winter storage of their coach?

Just looking for some insight to decide whether or not to leave the coach plugged in for the winter or not. I will be storing indoors/heated, but I'm not sure if I should plug in so the batteries stay topped off or if I should disconnect/shut them off. I used to have a boat down south and when I was up north for months at a time, I'd have to leave it plugged into shore power to keep the batts topped off and so bilges/monitoring systems etc. wouldn't draw down the battery banks. I'm not quite sure if I should treat my coach the same way since I will have the option of plugging in. Naturally, it doesn't have the same systems at all that need to function while sitting as the boat did and I'm also concerned that there is risk of the batteries 'boiling over'. I'm not sure yet if my charger has storage/maintenance mode yet, I will have to research that…but I'm curious to what others do in similar circumstances.

Also, how about protection from mice, any recommendations?

Thanks, I really appreciate the input.
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Even with the battery disconnect switches turned off, there is likely a phantom draw or two that will deplete your batteries over time. You could take a cable off each battery to completely isolate them from draining in storage.

Or check the charge rate and levels of your converter/charger, I'd think a 2017 Fleetwood would have a charger that would maintain the batteries. Another strategy would be to plug the RV into a timer that would only allow power to the converter/charger an hour or so a day.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:21 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We had indoor storage 1 year. Since it was 2 hours away from us, I was not comfortable leaving it plugged in where I couldn't monitor it. Plus I wasn't going to drive 2 hours every month to monitor the battery levels. So we shut off all power to it via the battery disconnect switches & locked it. 5.5 months later, drove 2 hours & picked it up. Never had a mouse/critter issue.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine's parked inside (heated) behind the house I leave it plugged in all the time even with really nothing left on.

Just don't forget to check the battery fluid levels every so often.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:49 AM   #5

NHDave-

I've used covered. heated storage in Claremont, NH, for a couple winters. On our former Class C I pulled the house batteries and left them in a non-freezing area at home, and disconnected the chassis battery. On the current coach, the storage folks disconnected both house and chassis batteries after parking the coach inside.

In our neck of the woods, it seems the mice start making their homes inside about now, and finish by November. If you can keep them out during "move-in" season you should not have a problem in storage. I do the usual: Block all screened openings and then drop a scented dryer sheet in compartments and enclosed spaces.

Even when I stored in the heated warehouse I winterize the coach. It's worth the few hours/bucks to insure against their heating system failing. This is New Hampshire, after all!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:11 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
My Coach is in my heated garage, bought it in '09, never have winterized it and it is plugged in all winter(Plugged in 24/7 while in the garage)...........batteries do no require much charging to keep them at 13.4 as there is no draw on them like when using the Coach, so my water levels will stay all winter during storage. Previous owner bought it new, and he stored it inside a heated garage and also had never winterized it.........
A couple of times over the winter to break up the winter blues, I use it on the weekends......shades down.........just like camping
Old 10-01-2016, 05:26 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also keep our coach in heated storage plugged in with no problems.
ejm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Dave View Post
Anyone out there have any experience with indoor winter storage of their coach?
Just looking for some insight to decide whether or not to leave the coach plugged in for the winter or not.

I'm not sure yet if my charger has storage/maintenance mode yet, I will have to research that…but I'm curious to what others do in similar circumstances.

Thanks, I really appreciate the input.
NH Dave
IMO you should do your research and find out if you have a charger in your coach with a storage/maintenance mode (aka: what you have), before you ask questions about it.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:36 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Inside, heated and plugged in.

Power is for batteries only. I don't run the refer or water heater while stored.

Set mouse traps in appropriate locations.

My garage is attached so it's easy to keep an eye on it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I just pull into my spot and parked. Then hit the battery disconnect switch. The MH always starts right up in the Spring.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
NH Dave
IMO you should do your research and find out if you have a charger in your coach with a storage/maintenance mode (aka: what you have), before you ask questions about it.
Hey, thanks for the unsolicited criticism! Doing my own research on the equipment I have, naturally, goes without saying...but this IS ALSO part of doing research.

I'll be putting the coach away in about a month, so theres a little time and I thought I'd start kicking this stuff around now, rather than wait until last minute.

Also, I DID say that I haven't read about that YET. I DIDN'T say, "please tell me what to do people, because I'm too lazy to read my manuals." Which is how I think you read my questions and felt compelled to criticize.

I'm just curious about what others do in similar circumstances, which is where you can often get great tips. Like the dryer sheet tip above for mice…etc.

For all I know, someone with a similar yr/model coach might have some good ideas on the subject and respond here…manuals don't really offer interaction or ideas. After all, that's what this place is for, isn't it?

Anyway, If you have nothing to add but criticism, please don't add.

Thanks again and happy motoring to you.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:13 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
NHDave-

In our neck of the woods, it seems the mice start making their homes inside about now, and finish by November. If you can keep them out during "move-in" season you should not have a problem in storage. I do the usual: Block all screened openings and then drop a scented dryer sheet in compartments and enclosed spaces.

Even when I stored in the heated warehouse I winterize the coach. It's worth the few hours/bucks to insure against their heating system failing. This is New Hampshire, after all!

I'll have to try the dryer sheets, I think I've heard someone say that before when winterizing their camp. Good tip and good advice! Thank you!
And yes, NH can be brutal in the winter! I think we're gonna pay for the dry summer we've had this year and get creamed this winter! I guess we'll find out soon enough…
Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with this. Some useful info here.

I appreciate it!

Already looking forward to RVing next season and the winter hasn't even started yet!

Thanks again!
Old 10-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Dave View Post
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with this. Some useful info here.

I appreciate it!

Already looking forward to RVing next season and the winter hasn't even started yet!

Thanks again!
Safe travels to ya Dave, and I hope you found out what you wanted to know......if you have other questions........post away............most are very helpful on here.......

Tags
door, indoor, storage, winter