Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #29

All done now
Will let you know how it improved the ride when i leave for Florida on feb 28
I am not going to post anymore pics since This is not really my trade and don't want to mislead people
I Think all people want to know is the results
will post them start of march

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 04:54 AM   #30

Drove 1000 miles from Ontario to Myrtle beach ,weather is pretty bad so We keep going today To Daytona .

The Air Ride made a huge difference
I am happy I did not get discouraged to do it after all the ( It wont make a difference ) I got from many

The truth is it did exactly what I was hoping for
It ride softer
lot less dash shaking
the main way I noticed the difference ,is from my brake pedal
when I hit rough road I always had to hold the pedal with my foot upward to stop the noisy flapping .
It is as if it is loose on the bushing and have sideways play ,my unit has
15 000 miles so I doubt is is worn out .I think it is just the way it is .
but since I got the air ride install ,not once did I ended up holding the pedal to stop the noise.

I did not make any test with different pressure as I do have small issues with it .the temperature was so cold that some of my lines have not seated properly and leak a bit . and to make mater worst ,I have a gauge the rear driver side that does not work .so I only came up to here with air at the front and seen improvement .the company I got this from ,sent me instantly and new gauge to replace the faulty one and have been amazing to deal with .I have the part with me and will replace it when the temperature gets warmer

I did the run with 50 PSI in both front bag
I had to re adjust after 3 hours over a small leak so it is not quite done and efficient yet .
I really believe the fact the hoses where so cold that the seating was harder to seal them self
I will post better result later when I get it all working the way it should and will try to look for different pressure result .
someone mentioned he had better result at 30 PSI
I have yet to try

Old 03-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #31
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Great job gridfighter you had a little more work than I had when installing a air bag system on a Ford F-53 back in 1999.
Problem back in those days with the Ford the chassis could not carry the Newmar box and leaf springs would lose their curve and bend opposite direction downward.
Probably not Fords fault because MFG's at the time would use smaller wheel base chassis' and extend the rear ends putting more weight to the rear.
The problem I had on my MACA coach was when the coach rolled to passenger side the rear duels would scuff the top of the wheel well causing the coach to jolt.
Had a KSCA previously that I had leaf springs added on a Ford chassis to level the coach all around for better support and driving handling.
Cost for leafs or air bag system was about the same.
This MA I decided to try the air bags to level coach, went to a dealer who said it could not be done because of angle iron work in wheel well, so I did it myself.
Back it those days AIR-LIFT Systems had bags but you had to add air manually with a compressor with a control I mounted on dash and fill each bag individually.
Today AIR-LIFT Systems have auto fill of air bags.
Kit came with air valve solenoids, pressure bag control with pressure dial, the bags-4 and mounting brackets, air pump and tubing.
Mounted as you, bag controls & pump on a board in one of lower compartments and feed air lines to each bag from there plus to controls on dash.
The bags did their job, leveled the coach as high as I needed and I measured from floor level seam on coach to ground for the clearance's at a certain air pressure in bags, I could than add or decrease air in bag as needed.
Bags made for better control while driving and quieter ride and complemented the Bilsteins I had added before.
Once you get the rear bags with no leaks you will see better control with a balanced coach ride.
Enjoy your ride.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:35 AM   #32

I run mine at 80psi.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #33

thanks 007 this is encouraging
I am towing bikes on a trailer heading to the bike week
I can't see any difference towing .it seem to handle the same way as if I had nothing behind

I am just happy with the dash trying to fall apart gone
can't wait to make different test with the pressure and fine the best riding options

I see now 80 PSI is being used
I guess I will have to try anything from 30 and up
thanks you for your input
Old 03-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #34
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridfighter View Post
Drove 1000 miles from Ontario to Myrtle beach ,weather is pretty bad so We keep going today To Daytona .

The Air Ride made a huge difference
That's good to hear, thank you for the update.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:22 AM   #35

Quote:
thanks 007 this is encouraging
I am towing bikes on a trailer heading to the bike week
I can't see any difference towing .it seem to handle the same way as if I had nothing behind

I am just happy with the dash trying to fall apart gone
can't wait to make different test with the pressure and fine the best riding options

I see now 80 PSI is being used
I guess I will have to try anything from 30 and up
thanks you for your input
this is awesome to see some one jump out of the box and do something their self...

it kinda did the samething with the sumo's....with the bags all four corners

just no compressors...

if you wanna go one step further..take the front shocks off and go down a straight bumpy road..no more harsh
we went with the koni's...and then with the new bilstiens... the bilstiens are the way to go ... the mono valved gas shock will really control the air bags...

again... good job... I love it..
Old 03-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
this is awesome to see some one jump out of the box and do something their self...

it kinda did the samething with the sumo's....with the bags all four corners

just no compressors...

if you wanna go one step further..take the front shocks off and go down a straight bumpy road..no more harsh
we went with the koni's...and then with the new bilstiens... the bilstiens are the way to go ... the mono valved gas shock will really control the air bags...

again... good job... I love it..
I can't hardly wait to get the new Bilsteins on mine. Have to wait for warmer weather though. It's still winter out here!
Old 03-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I can't hardly wait to get the new Bilsteins on mine. Have to wait for warmer weather though. It's still winter out here!
I actually drove mine with no shocks.... smooth as can be...
Old 03-02-2015, 08:29 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
FYI I stopped the shaking dash by adding a center dash bracket from the top of the engine cover to the 1 1/2" square tubing. I should of took a pic before the install but I try to take a photo if wanted.

My thinking is to improve the ride quality with air bags a weaker leaf spring set is required. Can your new system regulate each air bag pressure separately?
the new springs are pretty soft..they just need to be controlled with the proper shocks...
Old 03-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
You can have my near new OEM Bilsteins if they are the correct part# for you HM. (just pay shipping) I like the ride of the Koni's much better.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
You can have my near new OEM Bilsteins if they are the correct part# for you HM. (just pay shipping) I like the ride of the Koni's much better.
that's where the confusion starts,...those are ford shocks manufactured by bilstien to ford specks...
the after market BILSIENS are built and valved to be superior
Old 03-03-2015, 04:59 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
that's where the confusion starts,...those are ford shocks manufactured by bilstien to ford specks...
the after market BILSIENS are built and valved to be superior
thanks for the input
I will look in to it
the better I can get this to ride the better for me
so far ,I spent very little money and made it better ,
If It can get better ,this is what I am looking for .
thanks again
Old 03-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #42

Quote:
thanks for the input
I will look in to it
the better I can get this to ride the better for me
so far ,I spent very little money and made it better ,
If It can get better ,this is what I am looking for .
thanks again
the bilstiens will control the rebound....

Tags
install