Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #1

Installing new radio

I would like to install a JVC or Pioneer radio with bluetooth and iPhone/Pad compatibility. We have a 2003 Discovery and a Freightliner chassis. What face plate do we choose? The list, of course, is only for passenger vehicles.
M_rod424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take two rulers, Lay one beside the existing radio, and one above or below it.

TAKE PICTURE

Now go to dealer and shop. (Radio dealer that is)
Old 05-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #3

Take your coach to the dealer and let them install to suit you. I had Fry's Electronics install one for me. Works and looks great.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Installing a radio is no biggie. Head units are sized as single-din (a 180 x 50 mm) or double-din (180 x 100 mm) and you can purchase an adaptor plate to fit a single-din unit if you have a double-din hole in the dash.

Pull out the old unit, take it with to a radio supplier (Best Buy?) Purchase the new radio with features you want and buy adaptor plugs to mate new with old.

I also installed two new speakers under the dash and a DPDT switch in the dash to switch off the speakers in the bedroom and turn on the new speakers under dash -- much improved as we drive down the road!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DIN vs. DOUBLE DIN

It depends upon which radio you have in your dash. My Bounder came with a Visteon ( Ford Mustang) radio that was about 1 1/2 DIN. When I replaced it with a double din I had to do a whole lot of cutting & grinding to shoehorn the new radio in. I had no trouble with the wiring as the Front/Rear fader works to shutoff the rear speakers. We never listen to the chassis radio while camping anyway so I just leave them off.

I made my own harness. All you need is a volt meter to find the keyed and constant power, and a 9v battery to find the speakers.

I installed a JVC box with Bluetooth, USB, USB iPod, direct audio in and a handheld remote. So far I've been very happy with it. I attached a 320 GB hard drive via USB and it worked!

Mussypaws
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #6

Muddypaws is right about the size. I have an 02 discovery with the same radio setup. Ask the store for an adapter kit with mount for a late nintys ford mustang. get a wiring adapter kit for the same and its plug and play. to remove the old unit, use the ford radio removal tools available at any parts store. The old should just slide out and new slide in with wiring connected with adapter kit.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
You don't need to replace with a 1 1/2 din radio, there are adaptors that allow a 1 din radio fit the dash hole plus, then a small cubby for your sunglasses or ipod. If you take the old radio to the store, the proper wiring plugs can be found that makes installation plug and play, no multimeters, wire splicing, or hassle. It is definitely a 'do it yourself' job.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Single Din

I looked for a wiring harness online and at several shops. nobody seemed to know anything. I'm guessing that would have changed if I paid them to install it. As soon as I said 'motorhome' they stopped listening. I even tried to find just the 12 pin Molex connector at several online electronics distributors. No luck there either. In the end I started cutting and labeling wires and didn't let it worry me.

I'm very happy with the JVC radio but right after I finished the job they started selling 'mechless' radios without CD/DVD players. Sony had the first one that had a way of putting as iPod/iPhone inside it. I never play CD's so that would have been a good choice for me. It would have been a much simpler install too. On the other hand I've never cared for the look of a single DIN in a double with adapters, pockets, or whatever.

I like the way the JVC's illumination can match the Freightliners, or anything else.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I just installed a Sony XNV-660BT in my coach and had the same issue. I ended up using a Subaru Amazon.com: Metra 95-8902 Double DIN Installation Kit for 2008-Up Subaru Impreza/WRX Vehicles: Car Electronics because the hole in the dash was 8" wide for some reason. This kit has overlaps on the top and bottom but became a flush fit on the sides after cutting off the tabs. A bit of careful cutting with my Multi-Tool on the dash and it fits very well and looks good. There just wasn't any harness adapter so I had to find the hookups and splice in myself. Rather than wiring up to the ACC line I used a switch under the radio to power the unit so I could use it while parked with the ignition off, this radio has a AUX input for my XM Receiver and Blue Tooth Phone functions so I didn't want to have the key turned on to use it. Her are some pictures.
BTW the big reason I chose the Sony was it has built-in TomTom GPS.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash Install.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	21971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Camera.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	21972  

Name:	Top Menu.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	21973   Click image for larger version

Name:	TomTom GPS.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	21974  

Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
More on cutting the Dash

I bought the items in the picture from my local hardware store and clamped them to the dash for a straight edge. My dash is plastic so let the tool do the work, go slow and easy to keep from melting the plastic. I used this Multi Tool because it has variable speed and I could slow it down http://www.harborfreight.com/variable-speed-multifunction-power-tool-67537.html they also sell a battery powered one http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-lithium-ion-multifunction-power-tool-67707.html but it's single speed. It would work but you need to go really easy with it. Harbor Freight Tools aren't the best but for the occasional odd job they work fine. I've had mine for about a year and it's held up fine for the frequency I use it. This blade worked fine on my dash http://www.harborfreight.com/standard-angled-cutter-blade-67459.html
Dick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF4164.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	21975