Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I love my 2005 Bounder 38n on a freightliner DP chasis and Cat c-7
AndyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 03:37 PM   #30

We have a '05 32W. It was the first completely new RV we've ever bought. No real problems and love it still. In fact, we have gotten the itch several times to go look at DP's and we always come away from our shopping trips thinking how much we like the layout and service of the Bounder, and how well it is put together compared to some of the newer much higher priced coaches.

Have fun!
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are full time in our 2008 38F and after 4 months can report all systems go. We loved her as a vacation machine and felt confident she could take full time living.

I wish they had not discontinued the Bounder DP. As a entry DP it was a great value.

As others have said - Bounders have been around the block a few a times. They will undoubtedly continue to do so.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #32

Bought our ancient Bonder new in '93 and it has served us well for 21 years. We like it and are sticking with the old Roo. Not designed as well as the current models, but the workmanship standards appear to have not changed much.
Everything is still original to the entire vehicle, including the denigrated rubber roof, which I prefer. Approximately 95% of the 200,000 miles on the rig were off the interstates. Two lane blacktop, gravel roads, dirt roads, logging roads, washes and old railroad grades is where it has spent its life. Engine and transmission have never been rebuilt and it runs great and it still looks very nice. People have approached me in store parking lots to comment on the condition.
At delivery I told the dealer they would never see the vehicle again, because a preference to fix problems myself. I had a few but the only time it has been in a shop was to get periodical front end alignments. Even for tires I would remove the wheels and take them to the tire shop for mounting and use the opportunity to inspect and conduct maintenance. Very inexpensive to own and a very satisfied owner.
Kevin
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #33
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Welcome to iRV2, Kevin. We'd LOVE to see some pics of your beauty.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #34

Thank you Lori, for the welcome. I looked through some trip photos but the rv always appears in the distance. It is currently covered up but I will take some photos for future postings.
Kevin
Old 03-18-2015, 05:15 AM   #35

Recently I was at a dealer which carried both Newmar and Fleetwood products. Happened to run into a service tech employee working on a rig out in the lot. Being that we were comparing the FW Southwind against the Newmar Bay Star, I asked him which of those new rigs he finds he has to work on the least. Surprisingly he replied, "I actually find more problems need addressed on the Bay Stars than on the Southwinds and if I could afford one, I would choose the Southwind". He added that they were both good, but that has been his experience.
The Bounder and Southwind are very similar.
Anecdotal evidence for sure, but interesting to hear from a mechanic that worked at a dealership that covered warranty work on both.
Kevin
Old 03-18-2015, 08:45 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kevin - they tell the Newmar owners the converse...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:19 AM   #37

I wonder if it is the difference in owners. I know I would rather take 5 minutes to put a dab of glue or an airgun nail into a piece of loose trim rather than make a list to go back to the dealer to get my coach left in their parking lot for a month or two. OTOH I see the high end coach folks talking about their long lists of problems...
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #38
JBP

Winnebago Owners Club
We have 35K 2014 and are just going over the 10,000 mile mark. This is a good coach with excellent support from dealer and Fleetwood. The 36E has the mid coach kitchen very good design. Until this coach we have owned Winnebago coaches. Found support for both to be excellent.
Welcome to irv2 and the owners form. Great guys and gals here with lots of good experience.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I wonder if it is the difference in owners. I know I would rather take 5 minutes to put a dab of glue or an airgun nail into a piece of loose trim rather than make a list to go back to the dealer to get my coach left in their parking lot for a month or two. OTOH I see the high end coach folks talking about their long lists of problems...
You are like me, I never went back to the dealer for service under warranty. It was just easier and more rewarding to fix the problems myself. Plus I could take the time and care for good repairs, that the dealer could not. The dealership was only a little over 15 minutes from my home, but the hassle of arranging to having someone drive me home after dropping off the rv seemed more inconvenient than doing it myself.
In the 22 years we have owned the beast, our '93 Bounder has never been in a any repair shop except for front end alignments. I have done a ton of maintenance over the years, but it has been a very good rig.
Kevin

P.S.
When I questioned the service tech about the Bay Star and the Southwind I never revealed what brand of rv we owned or even if we owned an rv, for the very reason Flaggship1 stated. I had to chuckle at his post because that was what I was thinking before I queried the tech.

Tags
bounder