Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #1

It's not an uh-oh this time but strange

Although I share a good amount of problems and questions here, I try to not bore you with every nitty little thing. Last time I talked about low power and a leaking exhaust. What I didn't mention is that my oil pressure gauge (not the idiot light) on my well-experienced 1996 Discovery with a Cummins B 5.9 mechanical engine started pointing all over the place at the same time as I noticed low power. I didn't put the two together until I read somewhere that newer Cummins engines would actually shut down without a working pressure gauge. Or I may have dreamed that. I really don't know. The dash gauge needle finally buried itself in the full clockwise (high) position and hasn't moved since.

Point is, oil in my engine is new and on the full line and the oil pressure idiot light never came on. So now I want to change out the oil pressure switch that Freightliner installed and hooked up to the dash gauge when they built my coach.

FCCC told me yesterday the Freightliner part number is GAFP116412 but he couldn't sell me one. He also said I should be able to find a switch made by VDO. That part number is VDO3600023. The Freightliner number search comes up zero for me. The VDO number comes up on O'Reilly's Web site. I just got back from my local O'Reilly's and they tell me that they have to do a special search to even see if they can get one and will let me know later this week.

I'm heading under my bed box right now to look again for the switch but even if I find it, what good will it do if I can't get my hands on a new pressure switch. Surely (and Shirley, too) someone has replaced this on an early model Discovery and hopefully can point me in the right direction for it's location on the engine and the location of a new replacement. Please?
Volunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
FCCC told me yesterday the Freightliner part number is GAFP116412 but he couldn't sell me one. He also said I should be able to find a switch made by VDO. That part number is VDO3600023. The Freightliner number search comes up zero for me. The VDO number comes up on O'Reilly's Web site. I just got back from my local O'Reilly's and they tell me that they have to do a special search to even see if they can get one and will let me know later this week.
Volunteer
It appears that 3600023 is a bad/incorrect part number.

Part #3600023 at O'Reilly's is a replacement power cord from Zerostart: Zerostart 3600023 - Replacement Power Cord - 1 Foot | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #3

Woodchopper, you won't believe what I've run in to with this oil pressure switch. It's with great interest that I read your followup on the VOD number, especially considering what I relayed above about my own contact with O'Reilly's.

It's pretty much a moot point anyway. I've searched high and low, front to back from above and from below and I can't find that oil pressure sending unit. I'm going to try and limp my D over to Seguin, TX, and hope they've still got a guy old enough to know where the puppy is located.

I do appreciate your input and I'll try to share the solution with the forum (hopefully with pictures) once the repairs are made.
Volunteer is offline   Reply With Quote