Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Junk front seats

Well after 2 yrs full time the front seats are cracked and peeled. It's a 2012 bounder classic with 18000 miles. I lived in Dubuque Iowa and always thought of flexsteel as having quality furniture. Not so for some class A RVs. Very disappointed. But that's another topic... Quality. Can anyone tell me how to remove these seats. I assume they just don't unbolt. I'm going to have them reupholstered with cloth. Any help would be appreciated
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryshirley View Post
Well after 2 yrs full time the front seats are cracked and peeled. It's a 2012 bounder classic with 18000 miles. I lived in Dubuque Iowa and always thought of flexsteel as having quality furniture. Not so for some class A RVs. Very disappointed. But that's another topic... Quality. Can anyone tell me how to remove these seats. I assume they just don't unbolt. I'm going to have them reupholstered with cloth. Any help would be appreciated
I removed my chairs while replacing the floor
They use 4 big bolts and nuts to secure them. The nuts are underneath, I just sat on the ground to put my wrench on the nuts while a friend put a socket on the bolts inside the RV. You will get dirty.
BruceNeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't have a Bounder but i think most are similar as far as installation. On mine it really was just 4 bolts in the pedastal then unclip the wiring harness and it came right out easily. I will say they are heavier than the look and awkward to carry.
tscarps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscarps View Post
I don't have a Bounder but i think most are similar as far as installation. On mine it really was just 4 bolts in the pedestal then unclip the wiring harness and it came right out easily. I will say they are heavier than the look and awkward to carry.
Just as Tom said with the additional clip that allows the seat to swivel around needs to be unconnected. Not hard to do, but as he said, they are heavier than you think!

I removed the covering material when I installed new seat heaters. The original ones were VERY HOT and I was not able to control them. So new ones fixed that problem.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #5

BTW, the seat covering on my 2006 Flex-Steel seats is original and still in great shape.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Flexsteel supplies whatever quality furniture the RV maker is willing to pay for. The old Fleetwood used to buy fairly decent stuff even for the low end models, but Rev Group seems to go for the cheap stuff (my opinion, based on what I read here and elsewhere).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
You can buy the exact fit from Flexsteel in any color or material for far less than anyone cam redo your seats. Call them before you over pay for a job you might regret in the future. Check on forum for original flexsteel seat cover replacement
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435089
Old 03-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Take a look at http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/flee...ml#post4412945 and scroll down from there. You may find some help from someone who has "been there, done that." I seem to remember Sara having a thread on this but can't find it now.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks a lot guys... I'll do some checking
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #11

There's a long FaceBook thread about these peeling seats. Mine is a 2009 and they look like hammered [moderator edit] as well. There doesn't seem to be a problem with units older than mine. The problem ones seem to be from about '09 to '14.
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:33 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
You can buy the exact fit from Flexsteel in any color or material for far less than anyone cam redo your seats. Call them before you over pay for a job you might regret in the future. Check on forum for original flexsteel seat cover replacement
IMHO, Flexsteel happily sold crap to Fleetwood and Fleetwood happily paid for same crap. I wouldn't give Flexsteel the favor of overpaying for new skins when you can find local independent upholsterers that will provide a much better product at less cost. The replacement skins from Fleetwood are no bargain.

Since neither Flexsteel nor Fleetwood will step up and cover the cost of the crap they sold, I would not give either another penny for seats or skins.
BounderRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BounderRob View Post
IMHO, Flexsteel happily sold crap to Fleetwood and Fleetwood happily paid for same crap. I wouldn't give Flexsteel the favor of overpaying for new skins when you can find local independent upholsterers that will provide a much better product at less cost. The replacement skins from Fleetwood are no bargain.

Since neither Flexsteel nor Fleetwood will step up and cover the cost of the crap they sold, I would not give either another penny for seats or skins.
It is your choice. I am just saying that you are taking things personal and for less than half of what your local shop will charge for one you can get both seats with a perfect fit. I had several locals give me prices in Florida the land of the RVs and none of them even came close to the price and the fit. But good luck and keep us informed. [emoji2]
Old 03-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #14

I am in the process of doing the same thing. The OP that put the "skins" on themselves was SarahW and it was complete with lots of pictures. She gave a really well done explanation of the whole process. I had contacted Flexsteel and their response about the shredding material was that that was what Fleetwood ordered. Fleetwood blamed it on Flexsteel. Bottom line was you're on your own. I have gotten bids from local shops that do cars and boats of $330+ per chair depending on the material. Still haven't made the decision yet. I did try seat covers but they were really uncomfortable and even though they were designed for the flexsteel seats they didn't fit all that well.