RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #1

Kwikee Step Linkage broken 98 Discovery

My entrance steps broke last weekend on my 98 Discovery. It appears that the linkage arm has come off of the motor arm. (See pic) The motor still works and runs as normal. If I (carefully) reattach and hold the arm onto the motor's "ball" joint, the steps move in and out as expected.

The problem is, the arm will not stay attached. It just falls off. I don't see a way to fasten it. Something must have sheared inside the end of the linkage arm that goes over the "ball" on the actuator.

Do I need a new part? Ideas on where I can find one, if so?

Kiwkee Series 32
Serial#: 178610

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #2

For service manuals and parts info.

Kwikee Steps - Power Gear

I'll check under my coach tomorrow , the broken cover retainer bolt may have some thing to do with it. But it's been over a year since I had one apart and I can't remember.

EDIT: According to my parts sheet, the " drive link shaft " is broken, it comes as an assembly, from the square drive where it exits the gear box , complete to the attachment to the steps, p/n 909534 for my vintage of steps.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quickee uses pot metal in there linkage. It is the worst crap man ever invented. This is a common problem. You can buy a new linkage assy. You do not have to replace everything. Check online or order from any RV dealer.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #4

Update: Steps repaired

I was able to find a linkage kit at Camping World. Simple replacement. Good as new.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #5

Kwikee Step Series 42 Mechanical Linkage

I think that my mechanical linkage has been reassembled incorrectly. There are three interlocking flat metal bars that fold to retract the step. Two of these bars are removable and they have unique bends, and they have copper ring inserts and spacers that could install with either side up. I have been looking for an exploded assembly diagram, but cannot find one on-line, I've found the manual which does not include information about how to assemble this linkage. Dummy disclosure, the first time the step motor failed, I had to disassemble it in a parking lot to get the step in, and sure enough, have never been sure how it was supposed to go together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bearing.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	82863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steps.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	82864  

Click image for larger version

Name:	open 2.jpg