Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2015, 08:59 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Leaking Hot water tank? (Maybe???)

Just de-winterizing my 2006 36' gas Bounder. (Yeah, yeah........I know.) <grin>

Model is W32122

Everything was looking good until I switched over the hot water bypass valve, then I started getting water leaking (at a good clip) from BEHIND / underneath the external access panel. Naturally I'm thinking a split hose or tank, eventhough everything was (I thought) winterized appropriately.

However.........to figure this out, I need to visualize the hot water tank and connections. So Ihave an idea of WHERE it is, but NO idea how to access it.

I could use a little (hopefully not A LOT) of help figuring this out. Looked in my user's manual, but zero help there. Looked around in the kitchen area, bath area. Where the heck is this thing tucked away and how to I get to it?!?!

ANY help would be certainly appreciated.
SteveZ494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
Community Administrator

My 08 35E Bounder had an access hatch under the water heater . It was directly under the coach by the WH. It was covered with undercoating making the three screws difficult to see . Once removed , it revealed the cold and hot plumbing.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ494 View Post
Just de-winterizing my 2006 36' gas Bounder. (Yeah, yeah........I know.) <grin>

Model is W32122

Everything was looking good until I switched over the hot water bypass valve, then I started getting water leaking (at a good clip) from BEHIND / underneath the external access panel. Naturally I'm thinking a split hose or tank, eventhough everything was (I thought) winterized appropriately.

However.........to figure this out, I need to visualize the hot water tank and connections. So Ihave an idea of WHERE it is, but NO idea how to access it.

I could use a little (hopefully not A LOT) of help figuring this out. Looked in my user's manual, but zero help there. Looked around in the kitchen area, bath area. Where the heck is this thing tucked away and how to I get to it?!?!

ANY help would be certainly appreciated.
I had the same problem and the access panel as stated previous is behind the HW heater box. You will not see much more feel than anything but the water line on top is the hot water and the lower line you can't see is the cold water. I just replaced my HW heater over the weekend and all works well now. I could never find the leak even after taking the old one out. Check the lines to ensure they are tight before removing the HW heater. I surmise that was my problem but didn't check before. But at least I now have a new HW heater and no leaks. If you need a new one I got mine at PPL RV's in Texas very reasonable prices and they come with everything you need including the a new door.
John58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ok. Thanks guys. Since I'm dirty (and wet) I'll head out there right now. I'm HOPING this is something simple, but my gut is saying, "ummmm.............I don't think so pal." LOL

I'll provide an update. Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got into the access pannel (with NO help from the rusted/frozen hinge) and found everything bone dry there. Seems the leak is from the "front" end of the water heater, near the exterior access panel. Can that exterior panel be pulled off to get a better look at things from THAT viewpoint? Am I to presume that's how the water tank goes in; through that opening? (I already figured out it won't fit through the access panel underneath.) <smirk>

Addendum:

Just looked at the PPL website. It looks like what I am calling an "access panel" is actually part of the water heater. My old RV had a HW thank that looked like a chopped down version of a home unit. This appears to be a "slide in" unit. Soooo........if I losen these screws to the panel, I should be able to "slide out" the tank once I remove the hoses on the back end? At least i can then (hopefully) visualize where the leak is coming from and therefore know what the potential remedy is.

Again.........thanks for any (further) assistance.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:00 AM   #6

If you have pics that would help a bunch.

John/Lynette

1997 Fleetwood Bounder 30ft (Ford F53 V-8 460)

Tags
leak, tank, water