Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #1

Leaning toward a 2016 Bounder

Hello all, I'm newly registered to the forum but have been following it for some time. What a great resource!

We are leaning toward purchasing a 2016 Bounder. Had been thinking of a Georgetown but Fleetwood's quality and the newly designed for 2016 Bounder seem to be a much better decision.

Since it's a new model (with a new 6 speed transmission) I can only find limited info on the Bounder.

I am wondering if any new owners out there could share their ownership experiences, particularly on the bunkhouse floorplan.

We would be flat towing a Wrangler Unlimited-we live on the east coast and so wouldn't be dealing with the Rockies, but, should I anticipate the Bounder will have enough power to tow the Jeep?

Thanks in advance!
Stevieg213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 07:36 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the Forum

The Bounder is a good choice. Fleetwood over the last few years has reduced their floor plans and I feel this is very helpful to quality control. My first MH was a Fleetwood and i was very happy with it. If you are not aware it is possible to buy a current year MH that has a previous years chassis, the 6 speed is available starting chassis year 2016. So far as power, the Ford V10 is quite adequate, the main complaint with the chassis has been the downshifting pattern of the various transmissions. Early reports of the 6 speed has been favorable. I personally don't have a problem with my 5 speed unit. If you have not found the FORD CHASSIS Forum on here spend some time there. Best of luck.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:09 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Also, check u-tube videos of gone with the wynn's they now have a 2016 bounder and are making their assessments of it .Note, they are not very mechanically inclined so take their assessments for face value,but most are accurate. Good luck.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #4

We have a 2014 Bounder and tow a regular wrangler. This summer, we drove the Dalton Highway - dirt, mud, gravel, and up to 12% grades. We made it back so the combo is capable. On a really muddy 12% uphill we almost slid off the road and were only going 25 by the time we crested, but we did crest. We were all over the Rockies and Alaska this summer, the Sierras this past spring, and had no problems. While on really long, steep grades we did slow down, sometimes as low as 35 MPH, we always made it.We are extremely happy with how well our bounder has held up to where we have taken it and what we have asked it to do.
dahkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the help! I don't think I will be off roading in the RV (maybe in the JKU) so seems like I should be good in terms of power!

Have you been happy with your builds in terms of options? Wish there was a dream dinette available from FW.

I have check out the Wynn's website and some of their solar charging capabilities are really impressive. It's too bad you can't order with a "solar ready" package.

They also mentioned a new insulation package being installed at the factory which is supposed to have better sound and heat insulation on the dog house but I haven't seen any other information on that topic.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #6

I just got the new 2016 35k Bounder and my wife and I love it. We had a 2015 Georgetown 335DS. I would not buy one again. It drove bad and the quality was just not there.
mnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:31 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Leaning toward a 2016 Bounder

I may be wrong but I think the regular dinette may be a dream dinette. I saw pictures at General RV that had this standard dinette installed (versus the facing dinette option). Regarding solar I saw a video by the Wynns that mentioned ordering the "Wynn Package". I don't know if this is wishful thinking or reality.

Our family is also leaning towards the 36h and towing a Wrangler Unlimited. I'm curious if anyone has custom ordered and what Fleetwood will allow, such as higher end Magnum products (AGS, BMK, etc), induction cooktop, or RV Sanicon system.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoble View Post
I just got the new 2016 35k Bounder and my wife and I love it. We had a 2015 Georgetown 335DS. I would not buy one again. It drove bad and the quality was just not there.
That's a great comparison as that was the other RV we had in mind. Seemed like FR cut corners (baggage doors, wood work, fresh water tank size, inferior electrical system) where FW upped their game. Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Work View Post
I may be wrong but I think the regular dinette may be a dream dinette. I saw pictures at General RV that had this standard dinette installed (versus the facing dinette option). Regarding solar I saw a video by the Wynns that mentioned ordering the "Wynn Package". I don't know if this is wishful thinking or reality.

Our family is also leaning towards the 36h and towing a Wrangler Unlimited. I'm curious if anyone has custom ordered and what Fleetwood will allow, such as higher end Magnum products (AGS, BMK, etc), induction cooktop, or RV Sanicon system.
If I'm not mistaken a "dream dinette" does not have the leg holding the table up. Rather, it's attached to the wall and slides up and down to make a bed. From a design perspective, I like everything about the Bounder except for having that leg interfere with accessing the dinette (which many forum members have modified).

I have not spoken to the factory about those electrical upgrades but I bet someone on here knows the answer to that question.
Old 10-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I agree about the dinette. It seems odd to me that the upgrade has the leg. I like the style of the facing dinette but really like the missing leg in the dream dinette setup. Here is a picture from the standard dinette. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1445819955.250546.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	110382
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:48 PM   #11

That is interesting-now that I've seen that picture, I realized I haven't seen a picture of the "regular" dinette before so evidently they're being ordered much more often than not with the facing dinette.

I also just noticed in General RV's site that they have a Bounder with wood plank flooring.

I have seen an order form for the 2016 Bounder with 30th Anniversary package and that wasn't an option. It looks good though!
Old 10-26-2015, 05:43 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a '11 Bounder. 20.5k chassis. 5 speed. Every hill was a real challenge. We wanted to start pulling our Accord and knew it would be worse. 7500 miles per year some in mountains.
Wasted $60K at trade-in on a new '15 Discovery DP. Never say NEVER, thought I never would have a noisy expensive diesel. What Hills, now? And get better mpg too.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #13

Fiesta - That's interesting that you had such a bad time with the gasser. From what I've heard/read from other members, they had to take it slow sometimes in hills but haven't reported anything as bad as your experience.

Were you at high elevations often?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Work View Post

I emailed with Keith from FW (he got back to me very quickly) and told me that there is a "Wynn" package that can add solar panel wiring.

He also confirmed that the 30th anniversary package can have a "wood look" floor.

Tags
2016 bounder, bounder, tow