Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #15

Your reference has nothing to do with the filters for your engines. They are not OIL SOAKED. I found a site with your good old paper filters for no more than $75. Name brands. Your service centers are ripping you off.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #16

The Fleetwood air intake is lower than some coaches. On mine and I suspect on CSRSR's it is maybe 4.5 feet off the ground. The inlet housing (the portion inside the coach) on mine is just below the raised right side of the rear closet. Had Fleetwood located it higher up it would have encroached on the closet space, a trade-off that would probably be worth it. I bought the Freightliner recommended Parker/Racor filter three weeks ago at the local Freightliner dealer for just over $80, not too bad considering how big and relatively complex they are. CSRSR, as you described yours I'm pretty sure it's the same as mine. The Parker filter is about 20" long and maybe 10" in diameter with the inlet near one end but coming off the side of the canister. The canister (at least on the new ones) is plastic. The outlet side is in the center of the opposite end. This end is actually an elastomer (rubber-like). The other end, the one near the inlet is metal.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
That is high for the filter. Here us an online place that with shipping it should be under $100. Search Results
I would image you can pick them up at Fleet Filter also, Here are all the part numbers from the various manufacturers.
AC-DELCO A2082C
BALDWIN PA3493
BIG A 94748
CARQUEST 88748
DONALDSON P537454
FARR 114880-003
FARR 114880-003A
FARR 114880-003B
FARR 114880-003C
FARR 114880-003D
FARR 114880-003G
FRAM CA8130
FLEETGUARD AH1197
HASTINGS AF1197
K & N 38-2006S
LUBER-FINER LAF1934
NAPA 6748
PUROLATOR A76021
WIX 46748
Thanks UsualSuspect for the information. I'll be looking into this next year for sure. When I saw the charge from Freightliner last year for the air filter I was shocked. But, when the same amount was charged from a different service center I just thought that's the standard price for them. They got it from NAPA. Normally this place does not up charge their parts? Also, my air intake is at the very top rear corner on the drivers side. As for putting anything down on the road.......an air filter even at $260 would be a drop in the bucket for that expense.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #18
YC1

I definitely would inspect the intake hose. I bet it has a hole down low and picking up that dirt. Mine is high up and I have been on some very dusty roads.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:59 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I definitely would inspect the intake hose. I bet it has a hole down low and picking up that dirt. Mine is high up and I have been on some very dusty roads.
I think the dirt is a biproduct of the intake design. These filters have weep holes in them so they do not fill up with water, so I doubt a hole is the problem. When I had the piles of dirt in one of mine, I was out in the desert during high winds, and there was a lot of dust blowing around. I noticed in the RV Park a few folks had cardboard covering the intake, and when I asked, they said it keeps the dust out while they sit. I thought they were nuts until I got home and noticed the indicator was in the red. I could dump fine dirt and sand out, and it weighed a lot more than it should have.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Not to start a discord over K&N air filters but they were originally designed for racing engines which need huge amounts of air to produce horse power. Race engines routinely get torn down and rebuilt so the increase in dust particles and silica that K&N filters allow is a calculated trade off between performance and air filtering. They are not intended for non race applications. More air=more dust...just sayin
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Not to start a discord over K&N air filters but they were originally designed for racing engines which need huge amounts of air to produce horse power. Race engines routinely get torn down and rebuilt so the increase in dust particles and silica that K&N filters allow is a calculated trade off between performance and air filtering. They are not intended for non race applications. More air=more dust...just sayin
The K&N Heavy Duty filter for Diesel MH are not the old racing engine type filter that is oil covered. The diesel filter can be washed with a power washer and reused.

K&N heavy duty air filters are built tough with extra strength and reinforcement to ensure they will keep going for up to 300,000 miles. The Hybrid filter medium is comprised of a thick "lofted" non-woven synthetic media that is co-pleated between 2 layers of powder-coated aluminum screen wire. This reinforced medium is then held between either molded urethane (top or bottom) or between steel top and bottom plates and surrounded by a powder-coated steel cage to help withstand the extreme temperatures and pressures that can be present in large turbo diesel applications.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
No holes or otherwise. The hose is one piece all the way to the top. Have you ever noticed the vacuum created by the MH? You can see it with the rear view camera and it's very evident when you get behind a truck. Why the air intake is placed there is beyond reason.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #23

Thanks for the information. I have a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery 37 V with a 275 Cummins I bought in August and am going to check the air filter in the morning. I do not know if the previous owner drove it on any dirt roads but it will not hurt to check it.
mrkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On our Journey the air intake is almost at the top of the coach, however I saw a Discovery the other day that the intake to the filter had come disconnected and was sucking air from underneath. Is your intake down low or perhaps was it not connected correctly?

Another thing I have discovered is the diesel exhaust outlet is usually pointed downward on most units, including ours. I saw a unit with the exhaust pointing slightly to the road side and asked the mechanic why. He told me that pointed straight down it blows up dust and sand, while to the side it blows it away. I'm changing ours.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #25

Freightliner Owners Club
The air intake is all the way at the top left rear corner (drivers side). Like I said when we get home after traveling up our one mile of gravel road I wash the back off because it collects so much dust.....right where the air intake is? Now I will be a creepy crawler and check air filter prices!