Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #1

LED Brake Turn and Tail light upgrade

Looking for info from one who has upgraded them on 2004 Fleetwood Flair. The standard are round and about 4.5 in in diameter. I have attached a picture of what rear looks like on my MH

ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2441.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	232310
CA Harts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #2

When you do that, make sure you get the t/s flasher for LED's.......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #3

I upgraded on my 2013FW Storm. Got them from Etrailer.com. Take off one of the lights and you can get the model no. usually on the inside of the lens or on the back of light. My originals were Bargman which a lot of companies use on their MH. The new ones were the whole deal. unscrewed the old fixture and replaced with the new one. All the holes lined up and just had to connect the new wires and were good to go. Don't forget to seal around the lights with goop to keep out water.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:28 PM   #4

I replaced the rotted out OEM lights with LED units from Princess Auto in Canada and they are outstanding. About $15.00 each and made for utility trailer application. I made no change to my flasher unit. Had to get pretty crude to remove the old ones.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:20 PM   #5

We have the same MH, and i replaced the bulbs with LEDs as the incandescent bulbs did not respond very quick. Now the are instant on and off. They were also more visible in bright light. Did not have the change the flasher assembly.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #6

Add more LED's!......lol
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmanbaker View Post
We have the same MH, and i replaced the bulbs with LEDs as the incandescent bulbs did not respond very quick. Now the are instant on and off. They were also more visible in bright light. Did not have the change the flasher assembly.

Wildmanbaker

Where did you purchase the LED bulbs. I had purchased several and they were not very bright.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:43 AM   #8

I have the same Flair.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by exrench View Post
I replaced the rotted out OEM lights with LED units from Princess Auto in Canada and they are outstanding. About $15.00 each and made for utility trailer application. I made no change to my flasher unit. Had to get pretty crude to remove the old ones.

I guess I really wanted to know what LED bulbs you purchased.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #10

I think you will be chasing diminishing returns if you just replace the bulb. Notice the lens on your OEM light fixture does not even look like an LED light lens. IMHO much of the remarkable light effect is a result of the lens design. As "Denverh" above,said,take the old one out and replace the unit. My light is listed as 3.75" in diameter (Princess Auto #8064370). You can examine it on line. Alternatively,take an old bulb to NAPA where they can give you a replacement in an LED configuration that will fit the fixture you have.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #11

I got them on e-bay. I ordered red LEDs for the brake and turn signal lights on the back, Replaced the front clearance lights with LEDs, and the side marker with just the bulbs, in either yellow or red LEDs. This really has brought out the true color, and is very visible to others in traffic, when bright out. At first, I was concerned if there would be enough light through the lenses, but after changing the first one and checking, It was a go.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Harts View Post
Looking for info from one who has upgraded them on 2004 Fleetwood Flair. The standard are round and about 4.5 in in diameter. I have attached a picture of what rear looks like on my MH

ThanksAttachment 232310
Did this mod when my daughter was following me and told me the turns were so dim she couldnt see them... plus I love LEDs

Hope these pics will make sense. I've got the identical rear cap

I had to modify the original bucket to attach the new lights.

A little ingenuity to install, cut the old buckets, bent up some stainless steel brackets to attach the lights in the old buckets and then was able to drill new holes through the rear cap and bolt and nut the new fixture into the cap holes where originally they were just self tapping screws

Had to remove the license panel to get access to attach the nuts

As an option, I rewired completely. Now when I apply brakes, all brake lights light up, for the turns the just the outers light up and all light in the running mode
instead of the original 1 light for brake, 1 light for turn and 1 light for running

(they are all dual filament fixtures)

Did the reverse as well

I didn't change the front turn bulbs so there was no need to change the flasher

I used a rubber gasket to fill the gap in the old opening. The rubber only trims the gap, it does not hold the light in place

Nice weekend project...

A variety of styles to chose from, I used the STL 101

http://www.optronicsinc.com/PRODUCTS...age=&wireType=

Optronics International > PRODUCTS > LED Lighting > LED Stop/Turn/Tail > Products
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1956.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	232616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1957.jpg
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	232617  

Name:	IMG_1958.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	232618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1959.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	232619  

Name:	IMG_1955.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	232621   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1954.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	232622  

Name:	IMG_1960.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	232623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	232624  

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	232625  
Old 01-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #13

I tried the bulb change prior to the conversion. Definatley improved but nothing close to changing the fixture

If you 're looking to just replace just the bulbs you may check

https://www.superbrightleds.com

they've got anything you'll need

or there are a ton of LEDs available via the web

IIRC we had 1156 single filament bulbs, make sure you get red or what ever color coincides with the lamp you're replacing
Old 01-23-2019, 09:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vato View Post
I tried the bulb change prior to the conversion. Definatley improved but nothing close to changing the fixture

If you 're looking to just replace just the bulbs you may check

https://www.superbrightleds.com

they've got anything you'll need

or there are a ton of LEDs available via the web

IIRC we had 1156 single filament bulbs, make sure you get red or what ever color coincides with the lamp you're replacing

Vato

Thank for the link and pictures. Now I’ll see what I can do

Tom

Tags
brake, led, light, upgrade