Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Leveling jacks-how to use.

Hello everyone, I'm new to class a motor homes and I know someone has probably ask this but I can't find the answer. I just bought a 1999 pace arrow Fleetwood and it has the manual hydraulic jacks by power gear I think. Anyway the button are front down on top back down on the bottom, back right, back left, on the left. The bubble level is on the center table on the hump. Can some one please explain to me how to properly level my 35'mh I don't want to torque the frame and pop out a window also how do I know where the level is really makes the rv level. Thank you in advance

Jim&Laurie
jimdazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. There are a few different types of Power Gear Systems. Here's a link to the tech documents and manuals for all of them. Hopefully you'll be able to recognize yours and get the explanation you're looking for.

http://www.powergearus.com/fleetwood-tech-library

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #3

I'll take a stab at this one.
Normally, the front stabilizer jacks are tied together so theoretically they will go down together with the front jack button. As soon as one jack leg hits Mother Earth it will stop and the other jack leg will automatically continue until it too hits something solid, then both legs will extend. This makes a pivot or hinge point for the jacks.

The rear jacks are independent, so when you press the rear down, both will descend and if one hits ground before the other it will not stop but continue.

OK, Pete theory on leveling is this:
1. Make sure the parking brake is set. Important, remember it only locks the rear wheels.
2. Lower the front jacks until the level bubble is centered with respect to front and back.
3. Lower the rear jacks until you just feel the jacks hit. Then lower the left or right side until you feel the coach move a little. This is to make sure all four jacks are on solid ground.
5. If the right side of the coach needs to come up in order to make the coach level, then hit the right button. If the left side needs to come up hit the left button. As you raise either the right rear or the left rear the front will pivot keeping the frame from experiencing any damage. If you have done this correctly the bubble now should be exactly centered.

Tip, don't raise the rear wheels off the ground. Remember the parking brake only locks those wheels and if they are off the ground then they can't stop the coach from reacting to gravity.

Tip, If you screw up, don't worry, you can always retract the jacks and start over again.

Tip, make sure the fronts are down and the front of the coach is raised a little. This assures the pivot action will happen. If you done't have the fronts down, putting the rears down can twist the frame.

Tip, on placement of the level, I put it where I can see it. Then I check that level with another one inside the refrigerator. The way I see it, the refrigerator needs to be the mostest levelest (my granddaughter is helping me write this). Another good way to check the level is to wait to see if the co-pilot complains or not. If she says it feels like the coach is leaning this way, you have at least make an attempt to bump one jack or the other.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #4

I do my initial leveling before putting the slide out. Our MH has one big slide on the left (driver's) side. I have learned to set the left side slightly high, to compensate for the shift in weight when the slide goes out. Since I've learned this, I have fewer complaints from the copilot. I agree with the following as the best final check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Another good way to check the level is to wait to see if the co-pilot complains or not. If she says it feels like the coach is leaning this way, you have at least make an attempt to bump one jack or the other.
If it's level enough to satisfy MY copilot, the fridge is just fine. Remember - If Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!
Old 06-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with a solution.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow just what I needed! You are awesome, my mh came with no manuals instructions or paperwork of any kind so I'm just winging it. Lol the only info I could find was how to fix, rewire and replace it nothing on simple operation. Thanks again you're a windshield saver!
jimdazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't know this either and so I must just be smart or awfully lucky because I have been doing it this way. The part about the windshield will always be in my mind now. The guy that owned mine before me kept every piece of paperwork on it including a garage door opener but I have yet to find where he installed it.
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bigd9...Thanks for the info, we have the power gear system also...this is good stuff, we bought ours from an individual and there were no "directions"
We have learned a LOT from the forums
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:39 PM   #9

We just bought our coach this past January and I'm learning a lot also!

.....Did you know, on our Power Gear stabilizer legs there are Zerk grease fittings down at the bottom where you are supposed to give them a shot or two a couple times a year? (not all do, but ours does)

.....Did you know if you have the stabilizer jacks extended and try to drive off before retracting them it does terrible things to the shinny chrome cylinder? (Previous owner's mistake that I fixed by replacing the leg at $800)

.....Did you know if the hydraulic fluid is low, the control panel makes a loud warning noise? (as we were driving out of the previous owners driveway this happened).

.....Did you know if the parking pad at your campground is freshly paved with asphalt or even crushed stone, the stabilizer jack leg/foot could sink completely through the asphalt and get stuck down there requiring a little extra excavation to make the hole larger so the big foot can come back up? (happened at a snow ski area parking lot this past January when it was 5 degrees outside! The foot, including a 18" x 18" board when down about 8" into the fresh graveled parking lot. The board is still down there because I couldn't get it out!

.....Did you know if your silly cats are walking around the dash board and you turn the ignition key on and they step on the stabilizer retract button the coach will suddenly drop scaring the Co-Pilot so bad she will fall off the toilet? Happened on our last coach. I still inwardly giggle at that one!

This is why we love RV'ing so much!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #10

Welcome, fellow NewB! They're all different, but ours requires that the ignition key be on ACCESSORY in order to deploy jacks. Nothing else will get them to work, so if yours don't work in one key position, change it and try again.

For Jacks and Slides, it's best to be on Shore Power or engine ON. Saves your batteries.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:57 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One more thing....

Quote:
I'll take a stab at this one.
Normally, the front stabilizer jacks are tied together so theoretically they will go down together with the front jack button. As soon as one jack leg hits Mother Earth it will stop and the other jack leg will automatically continue until it too hits something solid, then both legs will extend. This makes a pivot or hinge point for the jacks.

The rear jacks are independent, so when you press the rear down, both will descend and if one hits ground before the other it will not stop but continue.

OK, Pete theory on leveling is this:
1. Make sure the parking brake is set. Important, remember it only locks the rear wheels.
2. Lower the front jacks until the level bubble is centered with respect to front and back.
3. Lower the rear jacks until you just feel the jacks hit. Then lower the left or right side until you feel the coach move a little. This is to make sure all four jacks are on solid ground.
5. If the right side of the coach needs to come up in order to make the coach level, then hit the right button. If the left side needs to come up hit the left button. As you raise either the right rear or the left rear the front will pivot keeping the frame from experiencing any damage. If you have done this correctly the bubble now should be exactly centered.

Tip, don't raise the rear wheels off the ground. Remember the parking brake only locks those wheels and if they are off the ground then they can't stop the coach from reacting to gravity.

Tip, If you screw up, don't worry, you can always retract the jacks and start over again.

Tip, make sure the fronts are down and the front of the coach is raised a little. This assures the pivot action will happen. If you done't have the fronts down, putting the rears down can twist the frame.

Tip, on placement of the level, I put it where I can see it. Then I check that level with another one inside the refrigerator. The way I see it, the refrigerator needs to be the mostest levelest (my granddaughter is helping me write this). Another good way to check the level is to wait to see if the co-pilot complains or not. If she says it feels like the coach is leaning this way, you have at least make an attempt to bump one jack or the other.
This sounds pretty much what I read and have done. In my jack manual it did say it's important to raise the front at least 3 inches when you make that initial step. FWIW.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
We just bought our coach this past January and I'm learning a lot also!

.....Did you know, on our Power Gear stabilizer legs there are Zerk grease fittings down at the bottom where you are supposed to give them a shot or two a couple times a year? (not all do, but ours does)

.....Did you know if you have the stabilizer jacks extended and try to drive off before retracting them it does terrible things to the shinny chrome cylinder? (Previous owner's mistake that I fixed by replacing the leg at $800)

.....Did you know if the hydraulic fluid is low, the control panel makes a loud warning noise? (as we were driving out of the previous owners driveway this happened).

.....Did you know if the parking pad at your campground is freshly paved with asphalt or even crushed stone, the stabilizer jack leg/foot could sink completely through the asphalt and get stuck down there requiring a little extra excavation to make the hole larger so the big foot can come back up? (happened at a snow ski area parking lot this past January when it was 5 degrees outside! The foot, including a 18" x 18" board when down about 8" into the fresh graveled parking lot. The board is still down there because I couldn't get it out!

.....Did you know if your silly cats are walking around the dash board and you turn the ignition key on and they step on the stabilizer retract button the coach will suddenly drop scaring the Co-Pilot so bad she will fall off the toilet? Happened on our last coach. I still inwardly giggle at that one!

This is why we love RV'ing so much!

We bought ours in Jan, and most of what we learned was how "NOT" to do it...I will have to look for the grease fittings, did not know that...We pulled away from the CG and as I merged into traffic the alarm started blairing and the light flashed that the jacks were down...I pulled over to the side and as soon as I started breathing again I got out and checked, called the shop and they told me about the fluid...the sudden drop was also a "red letter day" for us. Since Jan, we have had many, but thanks to the forum I am able to have a "somewhat" intelligent conversation when I need work done...luckily, we were in Savannah and when we parked for the night, I thought about the jacks being on dirt and compensated with the orange pads....my wife says she is gonna write a book!!!
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks