Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #1

Leveling Jacks Issue

I have noticed 2 issues and before I take in into the shop I want to see if anyone has had the same issue and if its an easy DIY repair!

1st issue---When driving the jacks alarms sounds saying we have a jack down. All jacks are 100% up, I immediately stopped and went under the coach several times after hearing alarm and checked everything. They appear to be fully retracted, that I can tell visually. I measure the distance from the ground the best I could and they seem to be equally in the up position.

Question; I want to verify that they are hydraulic down rams with springs the retract the rams? Or are they hydraulic up with spring assist?

Question; Is there a sensor on each ram or one for the entire system?

Question; Is the sensor in/on the hydraulic reservoir monitoring the level of fluid when the jacks are up and the fluid is forced back to fill the reservoir? Could the reservoir could be very slightly low causing this?

Question; Where is the sensor(s)?

OBSERVATIONS;
Alarms sounds randomly for about 1 second while driving. Usually on bumpy or curvy road. Seems to blink on left side (not 100% sure of that though DW noticed)

Issue 2---The coach does not remain level right to left when at camp ground and fully extended.

Question; Has anyone experienced this?

Question; What was your solution?

Question; Is there a proportioning valve or other lock out valve used to hold level or is it all on the pump?

OBSERVATIONS;
Coach will begin to lean to one side or the other, not the same each time. Takes a few days to really notice. After 3 days this last time it was a full bubble out on a 4' level right to left so i would say it was 2" out of level across the entire coach.
There is NO hydraulic fluid or other fluids under the coach. NO visible leaks anywhere.
MEWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2018, 08:20 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEWright View Post
I have noticed 2 issues and before I take in into the shop I want to see if anyone has had the same issue and if its an easy DIY repair!

1st issue---When driving the jacks alarms sounds saying we have a jack down. All jacks are 100% up, I immediately stopped and went under the coach several times after hearing alarm and checked everything. They appear to be fully retracted, that I can tell visually. I measure the distance from the ground the best I could and they seem to be equally in the up position.

Question; I want to verify that they are hydraulic down rams with springs the retract the rams? Or are they hydraulic up with spring assist?

Question; Is there a sensor on each ram or one for the entire system?

Question; Is the sensor in/on the hydraulic reservoir monitoring the level of fluid when the jacks are up and the fluid is forced back to fill the reservoir? Could the reservoir could be very slightly low causing this?

Question; Where is the sensor(s)?

OBSERVATIONS;
Alarms sounds randomly for about 1 second while driving. Usually on bumpy or curvy road. Seems to blink on left side (not 100% sure of that though DW noticed)

Issue 2---The coach does not remain level right to left when at camp ground and fully extended.

Question; Has anyone experienced this?

Question; What was your solution?

Question; Is there a proportioning valve or other lock out valve used to hold level or is it all on the pump?

OBSERVATIONS;
Coach will begin to lean to one side or the other, not the same each time. Takes a few days to really notice. After 3 days this last time it was a full bubble out on a 4' level right to left so i would say it was 2" out of level across the entire coach.
There is NO hydraulic fluid or other fluids under the coach. NO visible leaks anywhere.
Hi there -

First, it would be very helpful if you would include the year and model of your coach. There are several different systems in use across Fleetwood models and the solution likely differs depending on what system you have.

That said, the problem sounds like something we encountered on our Discovery. Our system uses a sensor in the hydraulic fluid reservoir to determine that the jacks are up. The fluid level was a bit low which allowed the sensor to become uncovered when we turned or travelled on a bumpy road.

I would suggest looking at the manual for the system you have to see if it is similar. I don't have any suggestions on the second issue.

Ty
anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #3

Check the leveler reservoir fluid level. Only sensor is on the top side of that tank. If not completely full it will sound that alarm as the fluid sloshes in the tank or the coach leans a bit while traveling. Uses ATF fluid, fill it to the threads.
FC901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:40 AM   #4

Make sure that if/when you do top off the fluid, the jacks are fully retracted first.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fluid.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #6

Like everyone said, a little more fluid should take care of the first problem.

The second problem is a valve with a slight leak. You either have a 4 valve or a 3 valve system that holds the coach up (jacks down) after leveled. If one or more of the valves has a slight leak, it will start to tilt as the oil leaks past the valve. Since it will lean either direction, I would replace all of them. Not for the novice DIY'er.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anav8or View Post
Hi there -

First, it would be very helpful if you would include the year and model of your coach. There are several different systems in use across Fleetwood models and the solution likely differs depending on what system you have.

That said, the problem sounds like something we encountered on our Discovery. Our system uses a sensor in the hydraulic fluid reservoir to determine that the jacks are up. The fluid level was a bit low which allowed the sensor to become uncovered when we turned or travelled on a bumpy road.

I would suggest looking at the manual for the system you have to see if it is similar. I don't have any suggestions on the second issue.

Ty
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
MEWright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks