Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Leveling jacks usage

Will it damage anything if you use the leveling jacks when the airbags are still inflated? I know you are supposed to deflate the airbags before using the jacks, but would it hurt the airbags to not deflate them before activating the leveling system?

TIA

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 05:38 PM   #2

Why would you do that? Just curious.

Don

Old 03-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #3

looking to run some cables under the cab tomorrow and the extra working room would be helpful. The leveling jacks would raise it a bit more if starting from there.
The other thing would be me not paying attention to what I'm doing. I just wondered if that would damage the airbags by not having a load on them.
The coach is new to me, so I'm still learning.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:50 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would ask FW customer service. 800-322-8216

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't think it would hurt anything. If you look at rigs up on lifts you do not see them deflate the bags. If I were going to do it, and climb around under it, deflated, or inflated, I would shore the rig up to make sure if by some trillion and one chance it could fall on me, I would not end up like a pizza.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #6

I hadn't thought about the lifts in the shops. pretty much the same thing.
And yes, we have plenty of solid support for the entire rig. I wouldn't get under any vehicle without proper jack stands etc. Not worth the risk.

thanks for the replies
Old 03-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure with the air bags inflated you don't over extend your jacks. If you over extend them you could possibly blow a seal on the jack. Don't ask me how I know this.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Unless I got it wrong, just thinking, the jacks lift the frame from the ground and airbags lift the box from the frame so you will not really have any more room underneath to move around.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Check and see if you have nylon straps between suspension and frame. I can jack my Spartan chassis and the suspension will hang from the straps, not the air springs. You could use chains to restrict how far the suspension drops if you don't have straps.
Also, you can place blocks under the jacks so you don't overextend the jacks themselves. I've used blocks to lift the rig high enough to almost sit up underneath, using proper jack stands rated for the load, of course.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Reading BFlinn181 post I think my first 'think' was off base. So for another try, The same results though as if you start with the frame higher due to the air bags, then you have to run the jacks that much farther down just to meet the ground. You can only gain by using blocks under the jacks but do not raise the rear wheels off the ground as you loose the emergancy brake that way (I know -bad).
Old 03-14-2015, 05:22 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiscoord View Post
Reading BFlinn181 post I think my first 'think' was off base. So for another try, The same results though as if you start with the frame higher due to the air bags, then you have to run the jacks that much farther down just to meet the ground. You can only gain by using blocks under the jacks but do not raise the rear wheels off the ground as you loose the emergancy brake that way (I know -bad).
Curious to know what you think is 'off base.' You can raise the rear wheels off the ground ----- if you're on level ground and have both front wheels chocked from rolling in either direction.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #12

Leveling jacks usage

Be careful. It is not likely, but there is small chance the bags could deflate and/or the jacks could retract. I have seen it happen. So use blocking or jackstands if you are going to be under the coach.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 03-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Curious to know what you think is 'off base.' You can raise the rear wheels off the ground ----- if you're on level ground and have both front wheels chocked from rolling in either direction.
My original thought was that the air bags where between the frame and the box instead of actually between the axle and the frame, big difference. Oh and I was not on level ground, nor was the ground solid (loose gravel) when I raised the rear wheels too high. I would have not wanted to even trust wheel chocks, though that would have been a good idea had I known that particular rigs jacks would actually raise it that high. Without blocks my present rig will not lift that high nor would I want to put that much weight on them anyway.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:20 PM   #14

Worked out a great system. used 3 2x12 under the rear jacks. lifted the rear manually and then used pads under the rear wheels. Gave us plenty of room to work under. had our stands as a backup. thanks for all the replys.

John

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks