Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lighted assist bar?

The lighted assist bar going into the the doorway flashed a couple times and went out. Do I need to get a whole new handle or can you just replace the led strip lights inside the bar? I haven't took the handle off yet to get a look,thought I would check here first. Thanks Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #2

If yours is like ours, you can remove the bar, and replace the LED it will probably require soldering. Our friends found the LEDs at Radio Shack.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On mine, there is not an led inside the handle, there is an automotive type bulb at one end. the light travels through the plastic handle. Take your handle off, and you will probably find a bulb that can be readily replaced.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #4

Heartland RV Club

My grab handle didn't have a light ,I went to the auto parts store (advance)
I bought a "194" style socket and a amber led light ( I bought it by mistake,but it looked good), it fit in the end perfectly with just a little foam insulation tape to make it snug. The amber light looks cool at night ,I changed the porch light cover to amber also .Keeps the bugs off the light.
This is the type of socket and bulb I used.

Wayne

Amazon.com: 2 Pigtail Socket Assemblies Side Marker 194 194A: Automotive

Amazon.com: 4X T10 5SMD 5050 LED Side Light 194 168 W5W Amber/Yellow Wedge Tail Light 12V: Automotive
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK, Thank you all, sounds like it could be a pretty easy and cheap repair! Thanx again,Tom
Old 08-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I as well own a 2006 fleetwood, one of our handles is out. Tomorrow sounds like a great day to replace it, we also need a new porch light and a fluorescent tube, that's beside the point. I'll let you know what I find out if you don't beat me to it. Just in case I decide to procrastinate, let us know how it goes.
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Tallyrver were did you get the power from to run the light? We would like to do the same thing in our Adventurer
oldyoungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #8

Heartland RV Club
Inside the rv on the back side of the handle,I had to drill a small hole at an angle to get inside the box that has all the switches ,I tied into the porch light wire. The porch light has a switch on the bottom of the light do I can turn it off and leave the grab handle on all night if wanted.

Wayne
Old 08-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two kinds of lighted assist bars, Incandescent and LED.

Either the top or the bottom (mine is in the bottom) is where the lamp is located, The Incandescent is a common automotive light you replace easily. The LEDs are "Not user replaceable" per the manual.. But then I'm an electronics technician, So, I replaced it.

One thing I did find.. Using a few formula I learned in electronics class (DC Theory) Like Ohm's laws I computed the proper value of the resistor that is needed at something like 4-5 times what was in there.. So I fixed that too.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwhit
The lighted assist bar going into the the doorway flashed a couple times and went out. Do I need to get a whole new handle or can you just replace the led strip lights inside the bar? I haven't took the handle off yet to get a look,thought I would check here first. Thanks Tom
Give FW a call if you don't get an answer here and please post what they say. 800-322-8216

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appreciate all the feedback. Went to take handle off after lunch and turned porch light on just to check an wa-la it was and still is working, been on for about 7 hrs. Going to call FW and find out how to replace anyway.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IS it an LED or a standard light bulb?

If it is as standard light bulb you simply remove the handle and how to replace is obvious

If it is an LED you need a soldering iron or gun and knowledge of how to use it.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
bjo

I have a 04 bounder and my grab handle some times flicker's and then wks
ok. Im just waiting till it wont come on. my question is how many of you
leave it on all the time when it's dark? I would like to leave it on when we are out but hubby says no that's a dead give away were not there, but I dont think so. your imput I would like. think I will do some of these post to
see what sorta light we have and may go ahead and change our's ,I dont like it flickering.
bjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #14

Heartland RV Club
I leave mine on most of the time ,in fact after we returned home last weekend ,I noticed it was still on after 2 days.

Wayne