Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lights out in living room slide

Hello ,
I could use some advice regarding a possible bad ground on my 2004 Southwind living room slide. The interior lights blow the fuse every time I close the slide to go home... I am on shorepower not dry camping
I replace the blown fuse every time and have crawled under the extended slide & visually checked for worn , kinked damaged wires ...any diagnostics appreciated .The outlets work fine,just the top lights die..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 09:51 PM   #2

Bad grounds don't blow fuses , and the outlets in the slide are 110 volt while the lights are 12 volt as is the fuse . Problems with the outlet wiring would blow a circuit breaker in the RV's main panel.

Are the wires in a coiled sheath, that extends with the slide ?

Probably; if the wiring is hidden inside a sheath ; there is a power and ground wire inside ( probably with cracked insulation) and the wires separate when extended , then as the coil comes back , the two damaged areas come back together and blow the fuse. I'm 99% sure , if you can't see every inch of the wiring , then you'll have to replace the wiring from the main junction point in the body of the RV to the point in the slide.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdip View Post
Hello ,
I could use some advice regarding a possible bad ground on my 2004 Southwind living room slide. The interior lights blow the fuse every time I close the slide to go home... I am on shorepower not dry camping
I replace the blown fuse every time and have crawled under the extended slide & visually checked for worn , kinked damaged wires ...any diagnostics appreciated .The outlets work fine,just the top lights die..
Did you do anything recently with those lights? Replace with LED? Move the mounting hardware?
I tried to replace a sconce with an LED (it has regular incandescent now that works fine) and it would blow the circuit. Not sure why but it happened. The LED light works well elsewhere. Also, the regular LED light housing I found is very cheaply made. Touch them and some of the LEDs go out. It's a known problem on the '16s. I know you have an older coach but why I asked if you did anything recently with them.
As said above the lighting is 12v and would have a fuse in the coach fuse panel.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
slide out lights out1

Thank you for your words..The wiring is 'hidden' in a loom that does travel with the slide ..I have done nothing to the lights except replace the bulbs which all burnt out almost simultaneously .The easy solution here has been to continuously replace the blown fuse...But I would really like a cure .

Tags
light, lights, slide