Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #1

Looking @ a 07 Bounder, but first want to hear owner's "bad" experiences

I've read mixed stuff about Bounder on here. Most love them, but sometimes, the reviews tend to be bias. I never liked the model from the 90s into the 00s (although to be fair, they were an entry level model). Starting in around mid 00, Fleetwood infused a little more style and premium features in them, and moved them up a little bit to middle-of-the-road. I want to hear some of the bad stuff to look out for.....like delamination, common leaks, fit and finish problems, and other problems they're prone to.

I looked at a couple of well kept pre-owned leak-free Fleetwood American Traditions that were royal trainwrecks. Delam in storage compartments, sidewall distortion around seams, tail lights like fishbowls, full of water, and bad fit and finish. None of which were the previous owner's faults. This has got me worried about Fleetwood. Build/material quality was just like my old Coachmen Mirada, which was "meh" at best.

the model I'm looking at is a 36Z with full paint, Ford V10 chassis (which is a must), equipped w/ 22.5 Alcoas. I really want to stay with a Damon Intruder, but they're just not that common. Most of the models out there are like the one we already have (and love). thanks as always folks!
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Might get more info from the Fleetwood owners page...
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by free-to-roam View Post
Might get more info from the Fleetwood owners page...
True. I'll move it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Cat

I assume its the same as a 07 bounder diesel. I don't like that the cabinets arent really wood, they are a paper veneer. So they wear through. The other thing the dual pane windows will start to pop the seals between the panes. I've replaced two it looks like the rest will need to be changed. Right now my slide has two broken rollers, that I've got to fix. We do full time so it gets full time wear and tear. I'm not sure that it any worse than others or any better.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry I can't help with that year and model. I know many very happy Bounder owners on this forum. One thing I do know, Fleetwood customer relations will help solve any issues you may have, ie: they will e-mail plumbing, electrical diagrams directly to you when supplied the FIN. Best of luck!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Community Administrator

If you go through the FW forum you'll find many happy ( and a few not so happy )FW Bounder owners. Fogged windows are not FW problem alone. If you stop by a facility that repairs them , you'll see a huge variety of makes and models with the same issue. As far as cabinet material , there was a post on the Entegra forum the other day where a member realized that portions of their wood cabinets are the same and they cost 2-3 times a Bounder. All models of all Mfg's have problem issues. You can talk yourself in or out of buying any of them. Good luck with your decision.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bounder Cabinets

We haven't had any problem with the veneer 'wearing through'. I've cut & replaced a couple of pieces of cabinetry and did not see any veneer that was paper or even paper thin. Seems to be pretty standard stuff and comparable to the custom cabinetry we have in our stick house.

So far we've had a leaking windshield, a slide brake problem, rear view monitor problems, and foggy dual pane windows. In about 2 1/2 years. But all of those are things not specific to Bounders.

There is no difference between the windows in a Bounder and any other FW coach. The slide mechanisms, refer, stove, frame, engine, transmission, water heater etc. etc. are all the same. The entire structure seems to be amazingly solid after being in trailers & fifth wheels for 40 years.

What you're going to find different are the counter tops, floors, fabrics, and of course price.

IMHO Bounders are more 'family friendly' than other coaches we've looked at.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #8

Good replies guys...very objective. I really like what I see, I won't lie. They are gorgeous looking rigs now, and even though I don't know much about the newer ones, it's clear Fleetwood has come a lot way with Bounder.

This is far from my first rodeo. When buying anything, pretty colors and attractive floorplans only mean so much. You unfortunately have to focus on the bad....because if the bad isn't so bad (and can be avoided with precautions), then it's actually pretty good, right? I did the same thing with our Damon, and the Coachmen before it. I knew what to look out for, which models to stay away from, and what flaws can't be avoided, no matter what an owner does.

I appreciate all the advice thus far
Old 07-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #9

Okay, I'll play Devil's Advocate here.
I own a 2009 Bounder 35H and have had nothing but headaches with it since the day we brought it home new.
Reefer stopped working, salon slide motor is weak/underpowered, electrical issues, brake issues, leakage issues, bay doors won't stay latched, foggy rear camera, entry door handle that I had to fix(FW R&D SNAFU), cracked countertops, wood veneer coming off cabinetry, handles falling off, tranny noises, etc, etc, etc.
Honestly, once I'm able to dump this lemon, I'll steer well clear of FW products forever. And, if they're all like this, I'm going back to tent camping.
WarDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
FWIW, we love our 36Z. Once you shower in the 53" wide shower, you'll be spoiled for anything else. No other mfr makes one as large. The engine runs like a top & the HP is plenty for dragging around our Jeep. We have not had any issues with delam, & the only leak we had was under the kitchen sink when FW didn't tighten down a joint that popped loose one time & I didn't notice it until there was water coming out of a bay door. We replaced the back-up camera only later to find the issue is in the wiring & we've yet to take care of that. The locks that secure the awning arms during travel are made of cheap pot-metal - we've broken & replaced 5 of them in the past 8 seasons. We've also had the bedroom slide motor replaced - just stopped working last year.

That said, since you said you love Damons & haven't found anything with a floorplan you like better, might as well stay put with what you've got.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #11

Thanks for the honesty WarDog, that really helped. I must say, I had a chance to get in one exactly like the one we were looking at, and speak to the owner. I was impressed! For a lower level coach, they really have some premium features. He told me what to watch out for, so that helped.

the sad part is, the 07 we were going to get, sold. So now I'm back out kicking tires. It was a steal too....$15-20k under the dealer prices, and it was a 1 owner. I got my eye on other FW models too, if the prices are right. Revolution & Excursion being one of them. All I have to do now is weed out the paypal scammers from the legit ones haha
Old 07-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
We bought our 2005 Bounder 38N DP new. The biggest problem we have to date was the Norcold refrigerator that NORCOLD, NOT Fleetwood, wouldn't stand behind. The recall we had done had to be recalled. That's really bad when the first recall didn't fix the problem and had to be recalled. The only other problem we have had has been one slide motor that the gears broke. Once again NOT a Fleetwood problem. That was Power Gear problem. I think you are trying to blame Fleetwood for the problems on used units when actually it is the problem of the various components that make up the motor homes. All Fleetwood does is use the parts they purchased to build the different models they have. Once the initial one year warranty runs out it is then up to the manufacturers of these different components to take care of them. NOT Fleetwood.
We purchased the Good Sam Club Continued Service Plan. Play by their rules and they pay off like a slot machine. Example: several years ago a leaked developed under the floor where the hot water line runs from the water heater to the vanity sink. We were on the road at the time. We called a local rv dealer. He said bring it at 8 the next morning. We got it there and they took look at it. Figured out where the leak was coming from. Called Good Sam told them what they found and where and how much it was going to cost to repair the leak. Due to the location of the leak the cost was over $600.00. Our portion our deductible.
We really enjoy our Bounder but, it is like any thing else that has mechanical and electrical parts in them, they must be taken of. I think the poster above may have had all those problems. If so I think he should have had his Bounder declared a Lemon under the Lemon Law. Because, if my Bounder had had all those problems I know I sure would have. We had a friend that had a Country Coach that had that many problems and she won her Lemon Law suit against them because of all the problems she had had with her motor home. She got a new one from them.
Sorry for the long post. But if you set out looking for the bad things in a motor home that is all you are going see and you could very easily be overlooking a diamond in the rough.

Jerry
Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #13

^ very true. I'm fairly seasoned now, so I know when things malfunction, only so much of it is directly the motorcoach company's fault. For example: Engine problems aren't Fleetwood's fault, nor are brakes, suspension etc. A bad A/C would be say Dometic's problem, faulty stove would be Atwood's issue, a Microwave that doesn't work would be Sharp's fault etc etc....because Fleetwood doesn't make any of that stuff. That being said, storage doors that warp, walls that delam, bad windows seals and stuff like that would be on the RV manufacturer.

I have put 07+ Bounder on my shopping list, which is saying a lot. After seeing/touching that used 2008, I know they're not that bad at all. My Coachmen was kind of in the same class as Bounder, but even the new ones can't hold a candle to these newer Bounders.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar
^ very true. I'm fairly seasoned now, so I know when things malfunction, only so much of it is directly the motorcoach company's fault. For example: Engine problems aren't Fleetwood's fault, nor are brakes, suspension etc. A bad A/C would be say Dometic's problem, faulty stove would be Atwood's issue, a Microwave that doesn't work would be Sharp's fault etc etc....because Fleetwood doesn't make any of that stuff. That being said, storage doors that warp, walls that delam, bad windows seals and stuff like that would be on the RV manufacturer.

I have put 07+ Bounder on my shopping list, which is saying a lot. After seeing/touching that used 2008, I know they're not that bad at all. My Coachmen was kind of in the same class as Bounder, but even the new ones can't hold a candle to these newer Bounders.
Try the '08 38' Bounder DP while out looking around. I have found it to be "not that bad at all" and then some.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder