Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lost electric starting power after disconnecting landline.

I have a 1992 Bounder that I recently purchased. After replacing two of the three batteries I started the engine,warmed it up, disconnected the landline and after about 5 minutes I lost all power to the complete rig. No power to the ingition switch and all of the interior lights. The step would retract when the door was closed. Any comments are welcomed. desertrat
desertrat84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

It might help if you tell us which 2 batteries you replaced. Chassis or house, or one of each. Are all batteries hooked up exactly like they were? Have you checked for 12 v at your battery isolation solenoids? There is also usually a large circuit breaker in the line from the batteries, check that power is going through them. Which battery was left, and is it paired with one of the new batteries? That can be an issue in that the old battery will keep the new one from reaching full potential.

Since you had power until you disconnected shore cord, it could be a fuse or circuit breaker on the outside of your Converter/charger. What happens when you plug in shore cord, is 12 v power restored? If so, then likely the batteries are not hooked up correctly or a bad connection and you are running off the Converter/Charger only.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lost electric Power

I replaced the starting battery and one of the Deep cycle house batterys with a deep cycle of the the same make and model. I have no knowledge of the age of remaining deep cycle battery, but it holds a good charge of 12.05 Plus voltage. There are 4 leads attached to the positive post of one of the deep cycles. I need a wiring diaghram to check that out.
On reconnecting the shore line it is able to start and all of the interior lights and etc work.
Another thing that is strange to me, is that the key ingition switch will not crank the engine. I can only start it by turning the key switch full on and depressing the "Aux" starter switch at the left side of the dash. It is necessay to hold the "aux" switch in for about 3 seconds after it does start, otherwise the engine dies.
Yes, it does seem like a circuit breaker is popping off.
I cleaned all of the cables terminials and posts when I replaced the batterys.
Your comments are appreciated.
Jim C
desertrat84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
It sounds like the starting (chassis) battery is not hooked up. Using the boost switch connects the house & chassis batteries together, sort of like using jumper cables to start a dead battery. Once the boost switch has connected the two groups together and the engine starts, then your alternator is powering the engine system. The fact that you have full 12 v power when the shore cord is plugged in is because everything is working off your converter/charger then.

If you have battery disconnect switch(es), usually near the entrance door, make sure they are turned on.

You might want to read this very good explanation of how RVs are wired for 12 v and 120 v.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:05 AM   #5

Sounds like a bad chasis battery or you do not have a good connection. I would start by pulling the batteries out and getting them load tested. Also, clean the cables and terminals again and make sure all connections are tight. I had a similar issue and it was a weak connection on the ground to the batteries.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote