RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #15

LP Generator Won't fire...sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corc View Post
The generator does not have a 12v charging circuit. It only supplies 120V AC power. So if it isnít charging from shore power, it shouldnít be charging from Generator. Not charging from engine could be an isolation relay. Why do you think it is not charging?

The LP shut off solenoid gets its power from generator control. Low battery voltage can make all sorts of start issues.

I donít understand how you are determining batteries.not charging? Please expand on that.

Hi there,
Testing the house batteries with a meter they were at 8v. This was after 3-4 weeks of small drains on them. This was while plugged into shore power. I decided to crank the genny again (have had issues starting it) and this time it came to life. Checking batteries again with the meter they were near 13 right after firing up the genny. So, it made me think it had a 12v circuit. But, Now I understand that the Inverter/switch was managing that. The next day I wore the batteries down by running the furnaces for a few hours. Got to 10v. Plugged in shore power and they stayed at 10v. So, after isolating all power from my Freedom 10 unit (Safety First), I opened it and nothing seemed burnt or unusual. I found on YouTube that there was a connector between the 2 circuit boards that could be an issue with the contacts so I was able to wiggle them apart a couple times (back and forth, on & off) and then put the thing back together. Since then, the shore power has been charging the batteries. As soon as I put it together and checked, it went from 10v to 13v and I immediately heard the internal fan start. Kind of odd how it would work from the genny but not shore...probably something to do with the switch managing the power. At least the inverter/manager works as it should now.

As far as the genny not starting, somehow there is 12v getting to the on/off switch that's at the fill station once the engine is asked to start. I could not get any voltage at that switch when the units not running but once it was started, there was a constant 12 volts. Maybe that is why the gen would not start...low batteries. It would explain the one time I touched the battery assist/jump switch that it fired up.

Thank you for the good conversation. Trying to understand "The Beast" as much as possible before we hit the road in the coming months.
Four more days of work then free as a bird...(as long as the 401k holds out) LOL

Next I have to figure out why we are losing a little antifreeze every trip. Scared to look into that one as I know it's probably going to break the bank.

Jim

Hoof-hearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
fire, generator