Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #1

Washing my motor home the other day I notice a split in the side wall of my Michelin XRV tire with 18,000 miles on it. I called Michelin customer service the directed me to my local dealer. Local dealer had to order the tire that took 2 weeks to come in (glad I wasn't on the side of the road)While the MH was sitting in the drivway waiting for the tire I noticed another split that showed up. Local dealer called tire came in, local dealer inspected the tire during the inspection the dealer found that the steel belts were coming through the tread of the tire. The tire was falling apart. Dealer called Michelin so the trie could be pro-rated for my discount(should be free) Michelin told the dealer that they would have a rep come out to evaluate the tire that I would have to pay full price until the rep makes a determination oh and the rep won't be out for 6 weeks or better. The local dealer has been great
If you have the XRV tire on your MH inspect them closely before every trip, and if you notice a problem call Michelin costomer service to make a record of you findings they will direct you from there. If your buying new tires don't by Michelin they make a great passenger tire but suck at MH tires.turk182jbj@aol.com
turk182jbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #2

Washing my motor home the other day I notice a split in the side wall of my Michelin XRV tire with 18,000 miles on it. I called Michelin customer service the directed me to my local dealer. Local dealer had to order the tire that took 2 weeks to come in (glad I wasn't on the side of the road)While the MH was sitting in the drivway waiting for the tire I noticed another split that showed up. Local dealer called tire came in, local dealer inspected the tire during the inspection the dealer found that the steel belts were coming through the tread of the tire. The tire was falling apart. Dealer called Michelin so the trie could be pro-rated for my discount(should be free) Michelin told the dealer that they would have a rep come out to evaluate the tire that I would have to pay full price until the rep makes a determination oh and the rep won't be out for 6 weeks or better. The local dealer has been great
If you have the XRV tire on your MH inspect them closely before every trip, and if you notice a problem call Michelin costomer service to make a record of you findings they will direct you from there. If your buying new tires don't by Michelin they make a great passenger tire but suck at MH tires.turk182jbj@aol.com
Old 08-31-2006, 03:43 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
I've got new Michelins on my MH, and every one of our company construction trucks, including the dump trucks and backhoe trailers, have Michelins. Great all around tire. Sorry to hear you got a pair of lemons. Knowing how tire dealers can be, I purchased mine through Sears, and paid the little extra for the insurance plan. That way if I have a problem, I know Sears will take care of it, and they will deal with the manufacturer instead of me.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
If you do a search on the forums, you will find that it is a known problem zipper blow outs on the XRV's, most people have replaced them with the XRA. AND Michlin will send an inspector 6 weeks later and then you will be underinflated, overinflated, overweight, etc. One man had 4 blowouts in his driveway. Unfortunately our rig came with XRV's. If they last another year, we are going to replace starting with 2 front with 670's. One of our back ones has a shallow crack in it and they told us to come back in 6 weeks. Yeah right, by then we are 1000 miles down the road.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #5

Everyone that I know that had Michelins on there MH repalced them due to tire failure on the road. One of them had 2 tires go and 1 year another lost R front at highway speeds.Are you using the XRV tire ???
Old 09-03-2006, 03:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
There are millions of motorhomes on the road. Chances are the biggest percentage of them are equipped with Michelins.

Personally I've had 3 motorhomes since '99 and they've all had or have Michelins tires. I've also know many others who have Michelins on their coaches. Not one has had any problems with their Michelins.

As long as their kept aired to the proper pressure (based on loading) and keeping them clean and out of direct sunlight, especially while in storage, they should last as long as any other tire.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:46 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The XRV which has had the bad reputation is the 19.5 inch tire. Many examples of this size failing which have not be seen on the other sizes.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #8

I just love these Michelin users that abide by the standard Michelin excuses, you are overweight, under inflated or ran over a butterfly (roadhazard).
I had 2 (two) alligator blowouts and Michelin used their standard line. I know my weight, have guages on the tires and didn't run over anything! AND the tires are kept covered!
Face it folks, the tires are overrated on weight ratings.
Went to 670's, one size larger to be safe, and the coach even rides better.
They say never say never but I'll never have another Michelin!!
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote