Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRoadie
The 6 to 7 mpg experiences with the Ford V-10 were my #1 reason for going with the GM 8.1 Vortec with Allison. I was consistently averaging 8.3 to 9.3, but then I drove at 2000 rpm and 58 - 60 mph. Rather slow a bit, get there unfrazzled and pocket the savings on fuel and wear and tear.

Be safe... enjoy your travels
That's interesting. All my friends with that package wish they got 7.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
This comes from the Workhorse Forum by a poster named Chechee:

On July 24th we arrived back in Charleston after completing an 8033 mile round trip to and up the west coast. At the end we had 29681 miles on our '03 Winnie. Since joining this forum I have read and taken part in a number of threads dealing with gas mileage for the WCC 8.1 MH's. Being an anal engineer, I was not willing to take what I considered as exaggerated claims of mileage without
documentation. As a counterpoint I have been collecting data on the fuel consumption of my rig since the odometer was reading 5149 miles. The data collected represents a sample of 24532 miles driven over highways in all but five of the lower 48 states, 198 hours of generator usage and towing a '04 Honda CR-V LX for each of those miles. During this period we drove over all types of roadways with greatly varying elevations and environmental conditions. Utilized numerous brands of regular unleaded gasoline with octane ratings from 85 – 87 (including ethanol mixtures) which we purchased in each of the 43 sates and 4 Canadian provinces as we traveled. Speeds driven ranged from city stop and go to Interstate travel which for limited time periods reached 75 MPH. Over the long haul I would estimate my average highway speed to be around 62 MPH at 2100 RPM. While this is not intended to be presented as a scientific paper, I do hope that it will rise above the level of documentation present in previous threads to justify sustained MPG of 8 MPG or higher. The results are as follows:

Average for the 24532 miles driven 7.20902 MPG

Average for the last 8033 miles driven 7.45772 MPG

Based on this limited sample of one coach, I still think claims of 8.5 or higher are to be taken with a grain of salt. The greatest factor limiting the MPG potential for a motor home is not weight, but is the drag coefficient (Cw) of the frontal area of a coach. For current coaches it is pretty close to 1:1. This with most new cars being nearer to .5 or less. Add to this the engine displacement, operating RPM, GCWR with environmental factors and I challenge anyone to prove sustained MPG in excess of 8 MPG under normal driving conditions. I am an engineer so I take no responsibility for grammatical and/or spelling errors in this posting.

2004 CR-V EX

Do I need a foxhole????
Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
That's interesting. All my friends with that package wish they got 7.
Here is a post from the Bounder forum on Yahoo that I belong to. I've removed the posters name. He was at the Workhorse rally when he posted it. Most of the members on the forum experience similar results.

"RE: Bounder Info MPG

I would kiss the ground if I could get 7 mpg.

At The Workhorse rally at Hatteras, NC"

Old 04-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRoadie View Post
The 6 to 7 mpg experiences with the Ford V-10 were my #1 reason for going with the GM 8.1 Vortec with Allison. I was consistently averaging 8.3 to 9.3, but then I drove at 2000 rpm and 58 - 60 mph. Rather slow a bit, get there unfrazzled and pocket the savings on fuel and wear and tear.

Be safe... enjoy your travels
MegaRoaddie,

I see that you glow in the night from the Plutonium additive you put
in your fuel tank while going down the gator infested swamps in Florida.
We are going to swear you in on a stack of bibles soon!

I think I'll try helium balloons attached to my Bounder to lighten the load
and let you know what happens

Steve
Old 04-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know why you are concerned about mileage when you have only driven 5,000 miles in nearly 4 years. If you have owned it for 40 months then your average miles driven per month is 125. This calculates to just over 20 gallons of fuel per month which then means you are talking $20 per month additional expense for each $1 increase in gas cost. To put it another way, if you could get 8 mpg rather than 6 mpg, you are going to save 5 gallons of gas per month which amounts to $20+ again.

Another point is driving speed. We are essentially pushing three full sheets of plywood down the road. Drag is huge. I have averaged 6.75 mpg on my Workhorse over 35,000 miles and I always tow a Suzuki Grand Vitara which weighs 3,500 pounds. I typically drive 62 to 65 mph. One time I drove 400 miles of the Natchez Trace which has a speed limit of 50 mph. I got the best mileage ever at 8.37 mpg. Obviously, you cannot drive most highways at 50 mph but the slower you drive the better when it comes to mpg.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
I don't know why you are concerned about mileage when you have only driven 5,000 miles in nearly 4 years. If you have owned it for 40 months then your average miles driven per month is 125. This calculates to just over 20 gallons of fuel per month which then means you are talking $20 per month additional expense for each $1 increase in gas cost. To put it another way, if you could get 8 mpg rather than 6 mpg, you are going to save 5 gallons of gas per month which amounts to $20+ again.

Another point is driving speed. We are essentially pushing three full sheets of plywood down the road. Drag is huge. I have averaged 6.75 mpg on my Workhorse over 35,000 miles and I always tow a Suzuki Grand Vitara which weighs 3,500 pounds. I typically drive 62 to 65 mph. One time I drove 400 miles of the Natchez Trace which has a speed limit of 50 mph. I got the best mileage ever at 8.37 mpg. Obviously, you cannot drive most highways at 50 mph but the slower you drive the better when it comes to mpg.
Doug,

My simple reason is to find out what the norm is for my particular rig/engine combination. If there was an abnormality in the Ford, I would expect it to be shown in this question.
I am a mega zillionaire and don't need to save any money on fuel and I also throw out all old currency in my pocket. If I was serious in attaining higher fuel mileage, I'd pull the Bounder with my Saturn Vue
You are a great straight man and I love you for that.

On the factual side now:
RV: 2008 Bounder 35E
Chassis: 2007 Ford F-Series Super Duty Class A Motorhome
Engine: 6.8ltr triton 30valva V-10 362 hp
Transmission: TorqShift 5 speed automatic overdrive
Average Speed: 55-60 mph
Mode: Tow/Haul
Toad: 2007 Saturn Vue Redline V6
Toad Brake System: US Gear Unified TowBrake

Steve
Old 04-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Regarding milage, I suppose length and the presence or absence of slides are of importance here too...i.e. the overall weight of the rig/tow. So far, at approximately 5,500 miles into our cross-country-and-back trip, pulling the Corolla on a dolly, we've seen a daily average of between 8.5 to 9.0 as measured by a Scanguage. Our low was about 7.0 on the first day traveling from Oregon to Idaho, mostly uphill, and with a strong headwind. Our best was 11.5 from Albuquerque to Carlsbad with a pleasant tailwind. To back this up, adding up my filling station receipts and dividing by total miles travelled, we've seen 8.65mpg so far. (I try to keep my speed between 55 and 60 as well.)

Adding the extra HP of the 3v engine over the 275HP V10, and more weight than our meager total of about 19,000#, and I can certainly see 7.0 to 7.5, or even less, being normal.

Keith
Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I have to spend the money on gas otherwise the wife will spend it on other non essentials
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
I have to spend the money on gas otherwise the wife will spend it on other non essentials
codgerbill,

When you charge that fuel, add a couple of six packs for adult libation.
Wonder how we divide that into MPG calculations???

Steve
Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just returned from a jaunt around Texas. I averaged close to 10mph on the MH and 30 on the toad. I guess that means I averaged 20mph on my trip.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:37 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
We just returned from a jaunt around Texas. I averaged close to 10mph on the MH and 30 on the toad. I guess that means I averaged 20mph on my trip.
JIM, JIM, JIM, did you misplace your glasses again? This thread is miles per gallon, not miles per hour( MPH ). Oh Magoo you've done it again

Sorry Steve , I'll call the home and have him checked out.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
JIM, JIM, JIM, did you misplace your glasses again? This thread is miles per gallon, not miles per hour( MPH ). Oh Magoo you've done it again

Sorry Steve , I'll call the home and have him checked out.

Hey Jim,

Cliff "Got You"
Hope you can get a combined 20mph pushing both back to the senior care center!

Steve
Old 05-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Hey Steve. Drove 200 miles today without the tow haul and got 7.58 mpg. Highway ( 95 ) towing a car with an average speed of 62 and generator on fo 3 1/2 hours. Not too shabby.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Steve. Drove 200 miles today without the tow haul and got 7.58 mpg. Highway ( 95 ) towing a car with an average speed of 62 and generator on fo 3 1/2 hours. Not too shabby.
I know you honored your earlier statement and kissed the ground.