Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #1

Multizone Heat and Air Control '05 Southwind

Pardon my aging brain if I posted this problem before, but...

We have a new-to-us 2005 Fleetwood Southwind 37c MH. There is a heat and A/C control on the side bath wall, near the back bedroom, an RVP 8330B335. The thing only displays ZONE 1, and will not switch to ZONE 2. I had assumed this to be a function of only having the 50A rig connected to a 30A power source, which I can understand for only running one A/C in the summer. But now it is cool outside and it will not switch to start the rear furnace.

Am I overlooking something? Any simple tests I can run? I have removed the fuse for a half hour and reinstalled it to reset the system, with no improvement. There does not seem to be any other way to start the rear furnace or A/C. The ZONE 1 area seems to work well for heating and airconditioning. Looking at the circuit board, there does not seem to be any clips or switches to include or exclude ZONE 2. We did not notice this problem on our walk-thru since the sellers had the rig cooled down when we got there.

Help. DW says "Well, I guess we won't be going anywhere in there for a while." I gotta get it going.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You might call Fleetwood Customer Service to see if they have any pointers. 800-322-8216
Old 11-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Cat

Mine is set up where you push the right side of the bottom right switch to change from zone 1to zone2. Then you push the left side to set the different modes of cooling or heating. It doesn't matter if we are on 50 or 30 amp.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #4

Thanks, Cat. That's the way mine is supposed to work too, but it does not change zones. Always on Zone 1. Book says if it doesn't change zones, it means there is only one zone connected. That can't be true in this case because there is no other way to control the rear A/C or furnace. I'll keep digging.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:18 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i have a brand new bounder that normally shows and switches between both zones. the other night i was messing with it and noticed that after I set zone 1, i couldnt switch to zone 2 right away. I had never noticed this before. It did switch over to zone two if I gave it a minute. Almost seemed like it wouldn't switch while it was getting zone 1 fired up and after zone 1 (funace setting) fired, I was able to switch to zone 2. Again, I never noticed this before and it doesn't seem right but thats what it did. I will go out there tonight after work and see if it does it again and let you know.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #6

If you take the cover off and hold the up and down switches for about 15 sec the control should do a total reset. I have done mine that way when I got 3 zones and another time when I got 1 zone. I changed my florescent light after reading that they can cause dirty dc power and create that problem,oh have fl lights off when doing this reset.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Does it have an EMS system, a panel just above thermostat on my 08? This allows everything to run on 30 amps. The thermostat has a 20 second delay after resetting something before the new setting takes place. Really it sounds like it is not getting a reading from second air heat system. On my 32v I do not have a second or rear furnace so it only controls the air conditioning and heat pump for zone 2. Look into wiring see if their is reset for rear air. Keep us posted.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll bet that's what's happening to mine. I have an ems. That makes total sense because it's only plugged into a 30 amp right now
Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #9

If you "Google" your t-stat you will find a PDF showing you how it works. The t-stat talks to a box located in the each A/C return that controls the system from instruction sent from the t-stat.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #10

Both ac have a control board mounted in the return air duct each control board has a jumper pin under cover the pins sets the zones front ac would be zone one rear zone two the jumper pins need to be in the correct position for the thermostat to work correctly need more info contact me at my email
096velasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #11

GOOD NEWS!!!! PROBLEM SOLVED!! In the Zone 2 air handler, there was a 9 pin connector that was not connected. I didn't see the green light the manual indicated would show it was in the circuit, but may investigate that further at a llater date. I made that connection and before I could get back to the t'stat, it was reading Zone 2. I set it to HEAT, raised the set temp, and got heat from the overhead and the floor. From the dust smell, I suspect it was never used. After a few minutes I switched to COOL, set the temp lower, and got A/C through all the rear duct outlets. It was pulling about 5A on HEAT and 9A on COOL. From the dust in the Zone 2 filter, it was evident it had been used sometime in the past.

Since I am connected to a 30A breaker, just to check I switched to Zone 1 and let the Zone 1 A/C come on. Together they were pulling about 12A. I was surprised that the draw was that low, and encouraged that both A/C's would work on a 30A circuit. Of course that was with no other load on. I expect our usual load of microwave and medical equipment may change what we can do from 30A.

We're thankful this motorhome has outlets in the walls rather than in the floor so when our special needs son crawls he won't tear up his pants or his knees.

Anyway, I want to thank all of you for the suggestions you posted. Between those and a careful reading of the manual (downloaded) I was pointed toward the air handler, and there was the problem. Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #12

Heat Pump Operation

I am new here and first time RV owner. Have a 2005 Pace Arrow with dual roof AC and Furnaces. Have contacted Fleetwood and by the build info this unit has the Heat Pump option. The digital Thermostat has the dual zone heat and AC settings. It has a Cool/Off/Heat selector switch on the front. When the switch is moved to heat the only option is Gas Heat? Am I missing something? How do you get the Heat Pump to reverse and work? I have the binder with all the manuals and none of them tell you anything on how to activate the AC unit Heat Pump. If there is anyone that is familiar with the Coleman Heat Pump and how it is controlled I would appreciate your assistance.
AClassA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #13

It sounds like you have a similar thermostat to my Southwind. Is it possible you have an electric heat rather than a heat pump option? I believe mine has the electric heat, but I have only gotten it to blow cool air, not heat. Sorry, but I don't know enough about my system to help very much, but it sounds like something is not connected in your overhead units. I had no Zone 2 action (furnace or AC) at all and found the system was disconnected in the overhead. that may be a starting point, or maybe some really knowledgable people will come on here and give a better answer.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClassA View Post
I am new here and first time RV owner. Have a 2005 Pace Arrow with dual roof AC and Furnaces. Have contacted Fleetwood and by the build info this unit has the Heat Pump option. The digital Thermostat has the dual zone heat and AC settings. It has a Cool/Off/Heat selector switch on the front. When the switch is moved to heat the only option is Gas Heat? Am I missing something? How do you get the Heat Pump to reverse and work? I have the binder with all the manuals and none of them tell you anything on how to activate the AC unit Heat Pump. If there is anyone that is familiar with the Coleman Heat Pump and how it is controlled I would appreciate your assistance.
I'm not sure about your PA, but in our Bounder the heat pump is in the rear (zone 2) a/c unit. We have to switch to heat, then select zone 2, then toggle to heat and set a temp. The zone 1 control runs the gas furnace when in the "heat" mode.

Tags
southwind