Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2015, 09:44 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
My power converter is hiding

1998 Pace Arrow Vision

Trying to find the power converter. My literature leads me to believe I have an Intellipower 9100 series unit but I'm not finding anything that looks like it behind the fuse panel with the other electrical stuff. Anywhere else they might put this thing?

Shore power isn't charging the house batteries (that's one of the things the convertor does, right?), I want to check the converter to see if I blew a fuse.

Dave
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Often the 12 v house fuse panel is built right in to the front of the Converter/charger. If yours is different, then look for a connection to 120 v power and large 12v cables going to the house batteries. If it's working, it has a cooling fan and you might find it by sound.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 99 Bounder has the inverter located below the stove. I had to remove the furnace return air grille to gain access to it.

I was having the same issues, the house batteries were not charging.

Inverter had a blown fuse.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is under the refrigerator. Remove a drawer under the refrigerator, lie on your belly, look, there it is. I found it when it's 120VAC input power cord had come unplugged from its outlet.

Previous owner evidently had the same thing happen as there was dried up black electrical tape applied to keep it from unplugging. I applied a tie wrap instead of tape...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for the suggestions. I have looked under the refrigerator, that is where the breakers & fuse panel are, along with the A/C management device. Now to remove the return air grille below the stove. If not there, I will use an inspection mirror to look behind the breakers. Seems like it has to be somewhere in that area...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Old 04-12-2015, 08:24 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
On my 1998, the converter is in the basement. The first door forward of the rear wheel. On the drivers side.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 9100 is a "Stand Alone" type box.. It can be mounted behind the fuse panel.. Under the bed,, Mine is in the basment (Driver's side back most compartment, which by the way is about the worst place for it) it can be most anywhere.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I found it!!

It was 'hiding' way behind the breaker box, couldn't see it before. I had to detach the whole panel assembly and pull it out slightly, then peer over the panel (it won't come completely out because of the wire connections) while sticking my arm in and behind it. At least the fuses were visible. Had to use a small needle nose pliers to get them out, fingers wouldn't do it. I wonder if they make needle nose pliers that work 'sideways' but parallel to the handles...

Both definitely blown, at least I'll remember the correct house battery polarity next time...

Gee, guess which amperage fuses I hadn't bought spares for yet??? Off to AutoZone tomorrow.

Have to remember to get out the inspection mirror so I can see which model it is and write it down.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Old 04-15-2015, 07:12 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
It was 'hiding' way behind the breaker box, couldn't see it before. I had to detach the whole panel assembly and pull it out slightly, then peer over the panel (it won't come completely out because of the wire connections) while sticking my arm in and behind it. At least the fuses were visible. Had to use a small needle nose pliers to get them out, fingers wouldn't do it. I wonder if they make needle nose pliers that work 'sideways' but parallel to the handles...

Both definitely blown, at least I'll remember the correct house battery polarity next time...

Gee, guess which amperage fuses I hadn't bought spares for yet??? Off to AutoZone tomorrow.

Have to remember to get out the inspection mirror so I can see which model it is and write it down.
We were a Fleetwood dealer.I have worked on many, many Pace Arrows, Bounders, etc. Fleetwood always leaves enough wire to pull the panel out about two feet. Check your panel and see if there is not a wire wrapped around something that is keeping it from coming all the way out.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
That was the problem. Two wires coming out of the left end made a bend & were stiff enough to get caught on the edge of the opening. Thanks for the tip. All fixed now.

Thanks again to everyone for their help and suggestions.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Old 04-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
I wonder if they make needle nose pliers that work 'sideways' but parallel to the handles...
Sears.com

WESTWARD Bent Long Nose Pliers,6-1/2 In. - Long Nose and Needle Nose Pliers - 1UKK4|1UKK4 - Grainger Industrial Supply

There are two.. I searched on Needle Nose Pliars but Bent Nose may have been a better choice.

Check to see if there is a "Back door" to that converter.. On my coach the back side of the power panel is very easy to access. This is not always the case.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
No, I needed them bent parallel to the handles. At any rate, I received some good advice on how to get the breaker box further out of the opening, so I had more room to work on it. Everything is OK now.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision

Tags
converter, power