Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Puck Light LED Retrofit

I have retrofitted almost every incandescent and fluorescent light fixture in, and on my 12 year old motorhome. Everything from storage compartment lights, patio lights, headlights and tail lights on the outside; to stove top, bathroom, closet and dining lights in the interior. The only interior fixtures I hadn’t tackled until now are the multitude of halogen puck lights located throughout my motorhome. They are in the ceiling, over the galley counter tops, over both sofas and in the bedroom. There are 28 of these lights total. So many, that I have put off retrofitting them simply because of the cost, as replacement LED’s for these fixtures are expensive. I considered replacing each puck fixture with a completely different LED fixture, but I could not find a fixture that would fit in the same hole as my existing pucks. I also looked at surface mounted fixtures, but again, I couldn’t find anything that would give me the light I wanted, while covering up the existing holes. I finally decided to just replace the halogens with LED’s.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5284.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	450.1 KB
ID:	184571

It came time to pull the trigger and retrofit all of the puck lights with G4 style LED’s. Not only are the halogens power hogs, they create a deal of heat. I purchased some LED’s on eBay several years ago, but I didn’t have good luck with them, most of them failed prematurely. Since then, I have made it a point to buy quality LED’s and have only purchased from three suppliers; SuperBrightLeds, Jirah LED and M4 LED. Jirah and M4 and are both run by fellow RVers, so they are very RV friendly.

I ended up buying this project’s G4 LED’s from M4 for several reasons: M4 had exactly what I needed at the best price; M4's G4 LED’s have a high lumen rating; M4's LED’s are confirmed dimmable. I wanted dimmable LED’s, as all of my OE ceiling puck lights are on dimmer switches. In anticipation for this project, I replaced my factory dimmer switches two months ago with LED compliant dimmers manufactured by ITC. These were identical to my OE non-LED compliant dimmers. I purchased the dimmers on Amazon for $25 each. They have since skyrocketed to $38 each. I needed three of them, so I’m glad I bought them when I did. ITC part #21005-DB.

Name:	IMG_5285.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	184572

Neither Jirah nor M4 have sales or promotions per se, but M4 does have an annual Black Friday event, so I decided to wait until Thanksgiving to buy my LED’s. I ended up saving 15% on my order. Not a huge discount, but better than nothing.

I knew from experience that I would have to remove the metal bulb reflector in each puck light, in order to accommodate the new LED disks. What I didn’t realize (stupid me), is that the location of the light socket would also be an issue.

Name:	IMG_5288.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	476.8 KB
ID:	184573

Plugging in the LED disk into the socket with the socket in it’s original position would put the disk off-center. This would not only affect the light output, but the aesthetics.

Name:	IMG_5301.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	184574

I quickly found that I would have to alter EACH AND EVERY puck light in order to proceed with my retrofit. I took a deep sigh and got to work. I ended up cutting slots in the sides of each puck fixture with my Dremel, so that the socket could be moved away from the center of the puck housing, to accommodate the larger LED disk. Of course the sockets could not be relocated without cutting the existing wiring, so each puck light had to be cut and then re-wired as well.

Name:	IMG_5300.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	184575

Name:	IMG_5292.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	184576

Name:	IMG_5291.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	184577

After dry fitting my first light, I found that the LED would not seat flush inside the puck. This is because there are a series of notches and tabs inside the puck housing. I took my Dremel and shaved those raised areas, which helped a great deal. The LED disk however had a tendency to drop, since the socket could now move freely as it was no longer attached to anything other than the LED disk. I applied a liberal amount of silicone to the back of the LED disk and pressed it deep into the puck housing. I held the LED in place overnight with masking tape to prevent the LED disk from dropping. This worked most of the time, but a couple of the LED disks had to be re-affixed with silicone the following day. The light sockets and the LED disks were not polarity sensitive, this helped speed up the rewiring process.

Name:	IMG_5289.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	184578

Name:	IMG_5297.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	184582

The size of my caulking gun made it difficult to apply silicone to the back of the LED disks after they were installed, so I purchased a small squeezable tube. This was much easier to handle and it provided more than enough silicone for the entire project.

Name:	IMG_5309.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	184579

I took my time on this project of 28 lights and completed it over the course of a week. I’m retied, so there’s no rush anyway.

Some of you may be wondering why I didn’t just install a smaller LED disk, one that wouldn’t require a modification of the puck housing. The fact is, I did. Last year, I installed several smaller disks from M4. While I still had to remove the halogen bulb reflector, I was able to install them without modifying the puck or cutting any wiring. The smaller disks however don’t provide the same lumens as the larger ones...210 compared to 600. They just weren’t bright enough for my liking. They may be ok for others, so they are definitely an easier installation option. I’ll most likely list the smaller disks I removed in the iRV2 classified section, as I have no use for them.

Name:	IMG_5305.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	184580

After I started this project and figured out the work involved, I decided to document it in case other members with similar lights were considering the same project. It wasn’t difficult, just time consuming.

The LED’s I used for this project are M4's part #G4-18-5630-side-NW. Retail price was $12.99 per disk, but I paid $11.04 plus tax, thanks to the Black Friday sale. Shipping was free. The pins for this LED are 4mm apart. I went with the natural white appearance, which equates to a kelvin color of 4500k. They put out 600 lumens which is pretty bright, so I like the fact that they are dimmable.

All in all, this project was more work than I anticipated, but I’m happy with the results. The interior of my RV is now 100% LED.

Name:	IMG_5303.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	184581

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
I also changed all the halegon bulbs, yours look great, you did a good job! And a awesome write up.
I did the plug and play route...

Mine aren't 600 lumen but seem to be just as bright if not brighter than the old ones...

I found these bulbs on Amazon, direct replacement for the halegon, I got warm white, but bright white is same $$. Only mod to light is using a small screw driver I easily pryed out the silver metal reflector. Took about 2 minutes each light...

https://www.amazon.com/Rayhoo-Non-di...07W?th=1&psc=1

Name:	IMG_20171109_201408.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	184584
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #3

Here's a finished oneClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171203_180312.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	184585
Old 12-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #4

I also did the outside lights.

With just a few older florescent bulbs inside, I've changed all lamps, bulbs, interior and exterior with LED. Although I couldn't get any led headlights that I liked, so went with a HID setup.

Name:	IMG_20171114_143135.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	184586
Old 12-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #5

I also am struggling to find replacement LEDs for my small 2" fixtures. Most disc type LEDs are just too big and they interfere with the reflector. The existing G4, 10w bulbs don't really light up the coach very well, so I wanted to measure the light from any replacement bulb I found. For any problem, it seems, there is now an app, so I found one that emulated a light meter. I have tried 3 different disk type G4 replacements that more or less fit into the fixture with the reflector intact. None of the replacement LEDs make more light than the original G4 halogen bulbs, as measured by the light meter. Remember, the meter only has to compare light output between bulbs; I'm not interested in the absolute value of the reading. I would think that by removing the reflector and using a 'tower' type bulb, the light output would be less, as only a few of the LEDs would face the living space. I am toying with the idea of loosing the reflectors as GadgetMan has done......I think the fixture count in my MH is 42 and climbing.....
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:34 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Appreciate the excellent report. Took you a long time to document all that. It is appreciated.

A problem I have with those fixtures is keeping the ring and lens on. I think heat from the halogen distorts the locking mechanism?
Old 12-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgique View Post
Appreciate the excellent report. Took you a long time to document all that. It is appreciated.

A problem I have with those fixtures is keeping the ring and lens on. I think heat from the halogen distorts the locking mechanism?

Thanks for the kind words.

I had one of 28 that refused to lock. I added silicone to the ring and taped the cap in place overnight. It looks good and so far it is holding.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #8

I purchased the G4’s off eBay and used the stock dimmer with no problems.
Hoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffs View Post
I purchased the G4’s off eBay and used the stock dimmer with no problems.

Glad yours worked for you. My OE dimmers would not dim any LED’s, they made them flash. I don’t want to replace my LED’s again so I bought quality LED’s from a trusted source.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #10

If the ones I purchased don’t last, I will go your route for sure.
Hoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:39 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
Try these....bit spendy but did not have to remove the reflector , altho on some locations (notably those under cabinets) that I had to remove the 3 screws and pull the fixture to get a good aim.
Also a hint on getting the chrome bezel to "let go" of the ceiling upholstery,
Take a stiff business card or a credit card and slide it between the ceiling and the bezel all around, then you can just unscrew (counter clockwise) the bezel
I got these at Batteries + Bulbs.
AND they are "dimmable"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20171120_155203_1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	184862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171127_085545_1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	184865  

SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

saddlesore,

Those are definitely different from anything I have seen. I didn’t go with a bulb style LED because they don’t shed as much light without a reflector, and I couldn’t find an LED the same size as the original halogen. If you were able to leave yours intact, then that is a big plus!

Tags
led, light