RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #1

My wife hates our toilet

He everybody, we have a Thetford toilet that sits atop a pedestal in the bathroom. It sits too high for my wife's comfort. Does anybody know what is under that pedestal? It's part of the motor home construction by Fleetwood. It has nothing to do with the toilet. Without removing the toilet to see what's under there, do any of you know if it could be removed so I could put a different toilet there that would not be so high?

Ray

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 04:31 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm going to hazard a guess based on my own recent experience. The raised platform, which we also dislike, allows flexibility in locating the toilet through the use of elbows in the pipe between the toilet flange and the waste tank. This creates, at a minimum, a bit of wiggle room for the assemblers, and may be enough to accommodate multiple floorplan variations using a single waste tank configuration.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

slowmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same problem in our Bounder. I bought a small step stool to place in front so my feet don't dangle.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had to dig into mine because the floor flange was cracked and leaking. In my case, there are two 45-degree elbows between the toilet and the tank. This creates about 6" offset between the toilet and tank inlet. Using readily available pipe, I could move the toilet 6" to the other side of the tank inlet with the 45-degree elbows, or a lesser distance to either side of the tank inlet using 30-degree elbows, or straight above the inlet with no elbows. Decreasing the height of the platform decreases the lateral movement. I'm not excited about relocating the tank inlet, but it is possible if you don't mind the extra work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437952779.385288.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	101227

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1437952824.353498.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	101228

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #5

Thanks Mike, my question is do you think it would be possible to take a couple of inches off that pedestal? She says it is just too high as it is.

Ray
Old 07-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #6

Qualified maybe. If it is like a few I have seen the raised part also houses heat, electric and the run from the sink.

I built a platform for ours.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:48 PM   #7

Well, I guess a call to Fleetwood is in order. We are heading out for a couple of months and I am tired of listening to her complain about it.

Ray
Old 07-28-2015, 08:23 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I found a closet flange at Lowe's that had a 45 elbow built in. That allowed me to lower the platform and commode on my 95 Bounder.

Richard
RLS7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:30 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
How about extending the platform so her feet touch
Old 07-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #10

Buy her some Japanese sandals:
rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #11
EV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoolguy View Post
Well, I guess a call to Fleetwood is in order. We are heading out for a couple of months and I am tired of listening to her complain about it.

Ray
Ray,

A two inch teak floor mat is the answer for that amount of change. And, by the way, this will only change the subject of the complaint - you will still be listening.
EV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV2 View Post
Ray,

A two inch teak floor mat is the answer for that amount of change. And, by the way, this will only change the subject of the complaint - you will still be listening.
Brilliant! I didn't find a 2" one that would fit, so I settled for a 1" mat. I'm thinking that will be sufficient for me. Thanks!!
Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #13

I've put a 2 position adjustable aluminum step in each of our baths. The low position, about 3 inches high, is just right for wifey. Plus, they are large enough so as not to worry about tipping over.
Happy wife, happy life.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #14

Thanks so much for all your kind suggestions, both serious and comical. Since I originally posted, I had a talk with my wife. She now tells me that the height is fine. It's the toilet she doesn't like. I just admit, the folks who had the rig prior to us must have fought wars in the bathroom. The toilet is pretty well beat up. She says, no matter what I do, I can't make the toilet shine. Well, it never will. I am going to upgrade the toilet to one that is porcelin. We had that in our 5er and she was happy. So, with that said, I guess I won't be lowering the bridge or raising the water. Thanks again. Any suggestions on a toilet would be appreciated though. Happy travels,

Ray